PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053803807 (resized).jpg
IMG_3922 (resized).jpeg
Sys80 Coin Box Bracket (resized).JPG
IMG_9041 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9045 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,285 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 66.
#801 8 years ago

Today I listed for sale a nice BLACK HOLE pinball machine working 100% OK
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/27780

Robert

#802 8 years ago

+1 for Slim64, good guy for stepping up and doing that.

Steve

Quoted from Onion:

New boards ordered and on the way thanks to Slim64. What a stand-up guy. Very, very happy.

#803 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Anyone have an extra one of these BH key rings they would be willing to part with? They come up on eBay from time to time, but I haven't seen one since the summer. I'm getting my BH this weekend and would love one of these keychains for my lock. Pictured below is the one I have for my HH and it would be cool to have matching sets.
Thanks. Can't wait to have my re-entry hang in the balance game after game!
IMG_0125.JPG

I don't know if he is taking new orders again yet, but here is where I got some arcade ones, i'm sure he does pinball as well.
http://arcadekeychains.com/
You can shoot him an email and find out.

#804 8 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I don't know if he is taking new orders again yet, but here is where I got some arcade ones, i'm sure he does pinball as well.
http://arcadekeychains.com/
You can shoot him an email and find out.

Thanks man, I shot him an email just now and will report back if it's a go or not. But this is exactly what I was looking for, if he does pinball versions.

#805 8 years ago

Actually, he just got back to me that he is no longer making or selling keychains.

Oh well, thanks anyways for the potential lead!

#806 8 years ago

Keychains...FWIW

I bought a bag keychain fobs on eBay and grabbed a few images to print. I find that a sheet of laminate over the paper before putting it in the fob looks nice; clear packing tape works too.

IMG_0121.jpgIMG_0121.jpg

#807 8 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Keychains...FWIW
I bought a bag keychain fobs on eBay and grabbed a few images to print. I find that a sheet of laminate over the paper before putting it in the fob looks nice; clear packing tape works too.
IMG_0121.jpg

Great idea. Thanks man. I might actually just try that.

#808 8 years ago

I just key all my games alike, I don't need to carry keys for 100 games, one key will get me into any of them.

Steve

#809 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I just key all my games alike, I don't need to carry keys for 100 games, one key will get me into any of them.
Steve

When I'm on your level of a collection, I too would have a master key.

#810 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Steve

Same here, much easer!

#811 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Connector: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=77 Part Number: 09-01-6191
Crimps: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=80 Part Number: 08-52-0072
Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

thank you guys! Just got my big daddy order, so now I'll start ordering the odds and ends to complete it.

Just curious, if anyone knows, the boston pinball company's lcd replacements for sys 80's...does that come with ALL displays? or just the back box ones
Apron
pf window
4 in the back box

#812 8 years ago

Seems like it would have 5 large displays and one small for ball credit. It would not make sense to just replace the four player scores only. And thus still need the HV sections.

#813 8 years ago

Now that the machine is up and running without any hi-ups. New high score!

IMG_1382.jpgIMG_1382.jpg

2 weeks later
#814 8 years ago

Yesterday I finally did it, hit 1,258,140. Of course, all the glory is gone because the pin thinks I only scored 258,140. I always said when I broke a million, Id do the 7 digit mod. So now I'm looking at gathering everything I need. First question, can I leave the 6 digit displays in the other positions if I wanted? Or do I need to put in 7 digit displays in all positions? I didn't know if they would just not show the 1's digit or if it wouldn't work at all. Trying to get into this for the lowest amount possible at first.

#815 8 years ago

I think the last time I posted my game was doing some ball search?

I have a pop bumper rebuild kit and rebuilt one board, put it in the lower pf of a board that had bad written on it in pen and the transistor looked bludged. Game booted and no "search" or coil firing was happening. One step forward

#816 8 years ago

Hey guys, quick question about gameplay. I think I know the answer, because this is what's happening when I play, but I just wanted to be sure it's normal.

When I have two or more players, and someone captures a ball in the lower level black hole, that ball stays captured for every other player after that until one of the players gets a multi-ball.

I also play exclusively on 3 ball. Is this normal behavior overall, and is this the same for 5 ball games?

Thanks!

#817 8 years ago

That's right and I believe it does not change between 3 and 5 ball. Although I have mine on 3 ball too.

#818 8 years ago

And while I'm at it... Can someone please tell me what this number in the 'ball in play' display represents when a game is over? I see a random number pop up and never know what means.

Thanks!

IMG_0282.JPGIMG_0282.JPG

#819 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

And while I'm at it... Can someone please tell me what this number in the 'ball in play' display represents when a game is over? I see a random number pop up and never know what means.
Thanks!
IMG_0282.JPG

Never seen that's -- could it be an error code? Mine always says 1, 2, or 3 depending on what ball it is.

#820 8 years ago

Mine does show the 1, 2, or 3 for which ball I'm on when i'm in the middle of a game, but when a game is over I get one of these random numbers. I often see this in other machines where it randomly throws you a random round number like this, but I never knew what it means.

#821 8 years ago

That's your "match" number

#822 8 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

That's right and I believe it does not change between 3 and 5 ball. Although I have mine on 3 ball too.

Quoted from Slim64:

That's your "match" number

Thank you guys! Loving my Black Hole. As I'm learning more about game in general, and the angles I can take to attack the key shots of the game, I'm getting more consistent reaching multi-ball. This game is a lot of fun.

#823 8 years ago

I've had a chronic issue with balls getting intermittently hung up on the lower level playfield in the trough, before they're dropped into the kicker for transport up the tube. The ball just won't roll down to the kicker, and for some reason the BH doesn't try to fire the release again even though I know the switch works telling it that the ball is there. Tested this endlessly with no issues, but in a game it'll fail.

I've made some progress adjusting the lower playfield mounts and overall leveling of the pin so that it doesn't get hung up as much, but it still happens maybe 1 out of every 20-30 balls.

So ... two questions: what's the correct level for lower and upper playfields? And why would the lower level ball release coil in the trough not continue to fire when it senses the ball is still there?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

EDIT: So I went on out the garage and fired up a game. Game two it hung up and I grabbed some video. Take a look: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0452plgjRr4YR

#824 8 years ago

Make sure the guides to the trough are not on backwards. If they are flipped, it will get caught in there. Someone did this on my game, I have no idea how anyone played it as every ball going to the lower level got trapped.

#825 8 years ago

Does the Pascal replacement board take care of ground issues in Black Hole?

#826 8 years ago

Hm, now that I see the video I am wondering if you have the games back legs up too high? The lower playfield is a fixed angle and the higher the back legs the less force it would have in that direction

#827 8 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Hm, now that I see the video I am wondering if you have the games back legs up too high? The lower playfield is a fixed angle and the higher the back legs the less force it would have in that direction

Right ... but I noticed the interior brackets were not quite mounted in alignment with the wood rails. The adjustments actually increased the angle into the trough.

That aside ... that's why I asked about the pf angle. I "think" I'm at like 5.2 degrees for the main PF and 5.3 for the lower. I really can't see making my main pf any more shallow, but I'll defer to anyone with a more authoritative answer on the proper angle.

...anyone else puzzled with why the BH doesn't keep firing the trough release coil? I noticed when I test it on a new game, main pf up, dropping a ball in the trough it'll keep firing. But if I play a game and get a ball caught down there I get nada ... one attempt and then it gives up.

#828 8 years ago

My BH wasn't feeding the lower trough after I moved it to a different room, and I ended up having to decrease the pitch of the game to let the lower pf be a little steeper - so much that the rear legs are now all the way down and the fronts are slightly up. Seems backwards and weird, but now it works correctly, and both pf still has good ball speed. Before the lower was too floaty.

#829 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Does the Pascal replacement board take care of ground issues in Black Hole?

Technically yes, as it eliminates the two boards the ground mod was done on.

#830 8 years ago

Its hard to tell in your video, but it looks to me like there is some wear at the back of the area for the sensor. It seems like the ball is getting caught in that divot and that's why it wont roll out. It would take considerable force to come free of that if thats what is indeed happening.

#831 8 years ago

Pinster, are you running original System80 boards or a Pascal, perhaps? The reason I ask is the Pascal's have a number of circuit protection features coded in and if it saw the ball not proceeding it might elect not to keep firing the coil. Original boards won't have that of course.

#832 8 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Pinster, are you running original System80 boards or a Pascal, perhaps? The reason I ask is the Pascal's have a number of circuit protection features coded in and if it saw the ball not proceeding it might elect not to keep firing the coil. Original boards won't have that of course.

Original boards here...

#833 8 years ago

I know it was asked before, but anyone have a scan of the upper playfield between the drops and pop bumper area? This spring I plan to clear coat and touch up. Im down to bare wood in a few areas, like where the guy is by the pops.

#834 8 years ago

I'll be tearing mine down, once the electrical bugs are worked out. I'm prepping for CES, so after Jan 15 ish I should be able to tear down and scan stuff. The only issue is, the rings around my pops are worn from the original mylar.

#835 8 years ago

Its probably still better than mine:

20151229_174905_(resized).jpg20151229_174905_(resized).jpg

#836 8 years ago

What amazes me is when I see heavy playfield wear down to the wood under the mylar rings on BH and other sys 80 pins. Since they weren't adhesive backed they sat above the playfield surface, then when dirt gets under them it acted like sandpaper.

#837 8 years ago

But you still have them on??

One of of the first things I did.
remove leaky NiCad and those damn rings.
If you are careful with exacto knife you don't even need to take pop out. But I would just to clean easier.

2 weeks later
#838 8 years ago

I bought a BH last night. She comes home Saturday.

Will get some photos up this weekend, but this table has been owned by one family for over 30 years.

Clean except for a bit of wear around the lower pf window. Wear is just in the black so should be a fairly easy fix.

My daughters (4 andare anxiously awaiting the machine to play it.

#839 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I've had a chronic issue with balls getting intermittently hung up on the lower level playfield in the trough, before they're dropped into the kicker for transport up the tube...

A follow up on this. I brought a cliffy switch slot protector, trimmed it to fit the short switch slot in the trough and it appears to have resolved the issue. I haven't had a ball hang up there in the last 20 games so far. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic.

#840 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

But you still have them on??

No, I removed them with an xacto a while back.

#841 8 years ago

Hey guys, quick question regarding the BH spinning disk and I apologize if this has been covered several times over in this thread.

My game has two screws in the face of the disk, just like the picture attached, taken from the Pinwiki BH repair site.

Can someone tell me if this is the way it's always been from factory? There is a hole in the middle of those screws as if it was intentionally to be fixed to a single rod.

Also, since mine has the screws, I think it would look better if they were black. Does anyone have a resource to find the right size screws in black to hide them within the art better?

Thank you!

660px-BlackHoleReplacementMotorSpinningDisk_(resized).jpg660px-BlackHoleReplacementMotorSpinningDisk_(resized).jpg

#842 8 years ago

The first BH I had came with a single rod in the center. Don't know if the two screws were a mod later possibly for stability of the wheel. My second and the one I have now I wrapped with masking tape and sprayed the heads of the screws with gloss black.

#843 8 years ago

All the BH's I've ever owned had black flat head screws holding the disc, not silver roundhead screws. They should be flush with the disc too.

Steve

#844 8 years ago

I feel like it's WAY too hard for me to lock a ball on the top PF, to hit some of the targets on the right of the top PF, and to lock a ball on the bottom PF. I'm pretty sure my flippers are parallel to the biff bars, but I need to check when I get back home. Any advice?

#845 8 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

The first BH I had came with a single rod in the center. Don't know if the two screws were a mod later possibly for stability of the wheel. My second and the one I have now I wrapped with masking tape and sprayed the heads of the screws with gloss black.

Quoted from blownfuse:

All the BH's I've ever owned had black flat head screws holding the disc, not silver roundhead screws. They should be flush with the disc too.
Steve

Thanks guys. If I can't find black flat head screws to go in there, I will go with Colson's route. Great idea.

#846 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Steve

Mine also has black head screws that are flush with the disc.

#847 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

I feel like it's WAY too hard for me to lock a ball on the top PF, to hit some of the targets on the right of the top PF, and to lock a ball on the bottom PF. I'm pretty sure my flippers are parallel to the biff bars, but I need to check when I get back home. Any advice?

I can hit the upper left drops easy, but the upper rights I usually rely more on tossing it over there and the pops dropping them for me. Of the 4 on the bottom right, the bottom one is a bear. The top 3 are pretty easy to get from the left lower flipper. But that bottom one takes a perfect shot, and most of the time I get it lit by accident. Its a tough shot.

#848 8 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

But that bottom one takes a perfect shot, and most of the time I get it lit by accident. Its a tough shot.

A tough shot it is. A ton of shots on this game are luck, and not necessarily pin skill. BH is a pretty challenging game all around...and really tough to get multiball with. That is what makes you play 10 games every time you walk up to one...and makes you want to come back. This game kicks my ass constantly...but it's still fun as hell!!

#849 8 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

A tough shot it is. A ton of shots on this game are luck, and not necessarily pin skill. BH is a pretty challenging game all around...and really tough to get multiball with. That is what makes you play 10 games every time you walk up to one...and makes you want to come back. This game kicks my ass constantly...but it's still fun as hell!!

This helps me out a ton. I LOVE this game but have definitely noticed that some of the shots aren't really skill-based but rather almost luck. Just want to make sure that I've got mine dialed in as much as possible!

#850 8 years ago

??? Luck. I don't think so at all. But I have moved flipper position at few times. A 1/8" either way can make a huge difference and make shots easier or harder. This is upper currently.

IMG_20160117_131249343_(resized).jpgIMG_20160117_131249343_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,285 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.