Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

upper field (resized).jpg
lower field (resized).jpg
boards (resized).jpg
coin door (resized).jpg
back glass (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I May be posting this in the wrong spot, I wasn't sure where to ask.

I bought a Black Hole, After getting it home and looking at it? It needs way too much. All the circuit boards are gone, the upper Play field is gone, I have 3 other projects going and probably won't ever get to this one. It was for sale and I had a DA attack and had to have it, that day, right NOW!! I'm sure some of you know what that's like!

I'm fairly new to pinball, I've been kind of playing around for about a year or so off and on so I have no clue what's rare or hard to find. So,,, My question is.......Is this cabinet a harder to find cabinet? Or are they a dime a dozen?

The reason I want to know, I have a High speed that the cabinet is just wasted on one side, I thought if the Black Hole cabinet isn't all that hard to find, I'd cut it apart to fix the other cabinet. I hate to do it, The black hole is really nice, It would be perfect for a resto, not in mint shape, but still nice and sharp corners, good and solid, etc... I just don't have the room or money to buy all the stuff it needs with the 3 other projects I have going.

I just wanted some opinions before I hack this thing up! I hate to do it anyhow, but would hate to find out later that it was a harder to find cabinet! I Think Haunted House is the same cabinet too?

Thanks for any thoughts or input.....

And if anyone local wants to trade me something for it? PM me! I hate to chop this cabinet if someone could use it! My location doesn't show up for some reason I can't get it to stay in there, I'm in Dallas, GA.

#2 7 years ago

you bought a pinball machine and didn't notice until you got it home that it was lacking the playfield and boards?

#3 7 years ago

i'm not an expert on cabinets, but i don't think there's a demand for BH cabinets. there's far more demand for playfields, boards, and backglasses.

speaking of which, does yours have a backglass? if so, does it have a spinning disc on a motor, or is it stationary (re-import)? any peeling? if the backglass is nice, then that's probably worth a lot more than the cab.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

you bought a pinball machine and didn't notice until you got it home that it was lacking the playfield and boards?

No, I knew it was missing the boards and the upper play field when I bought it......At the time I thought I would fix it up, after getting them home and thinking about it? I have 3 other projects and I'll probably never get to this one. I bought 2 project machines from the same person(DE Simpsons and the Black Hole). I had to take them both for one price. I was after the Simpsons project which needs a lot too, missing back glass, needs all the circuit boards, display, pretty much everything that goes in the back box. The wife and I played Simpsons when we were younger at a local pizza shop, a lot!! So, we wanted to redo that one over the next couple of years for our son. We also want to find a Turtles. She's making me keep the Pac man too.

Since then, I've traded for a Pac man project too, so the Black Hole is getting pushed to the end of the line, It just needs too much. It looks like it would be a cool game though...I'd rather fix the others first, they are more complete.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i'm not an expert on cabinets, but i don't think there's a demand for BH cabinets. there's far more demand for playfields, boards, and backglasses.
speaking of which, does yours have a backglass? if so, does it have a spinning disc on a motor, or is it stationary (re-import)? any peeling? if the backglass is nice, then that's probably worth a lot more than the cab.

I have the lower PF, which is almost mint! Just a couple small chips here and there, but other than that it is almost perfect! The back glass is there, the inner glass does have some flaking, but it looks like it's in spots that wouldn't be noticed if repaired. It does have the disk, the motor has stripped gears though. I was actually thinking about possibly making a clock , a lighted wall hanging sign, or something out of it. The displays are all there, I'm not sure how to bench test those yet...

#6 7 years ago

I looked over those machines when they were for sale. I gave here a price of $400 for both and she passed. Hope you didn't pay anymore. The cabinet for the BH was in very good shape. I would hope that helps save another machine. I'm in Marietta GA and I might be interested in it. I have a laser wars cabinet that's in bad shape but you could have that to fix your high speed

Mike V

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Joker2415:

The reason I want to know, I have a High speed that the cabinet is just wasted on one side, I thought if the Black Hole cabinet isn't all that hard to find, I'd cut it apart to fix the other cabinet. I hate to do it, The black hole is really nice, It would be perfect for a resto, not in mint shape, but still nice and sharp corners, good and solid, etc... I just don't have the room or money to buy all the stuff it needs with the 3 other projects I have going.

Yes, it's a little hard to find. I've had my eye out for a nice one for mine. If you don't want it, sell it to someone who does to fund your other projects.

The Gottlieb cabinet is a different size than Williams cabinets, so you wouldn't be able to do a direct replacement anyway.

Just buy some plywood for your repair. No need to scrap and chop up a perfectly good cabinet.

Keep in mind that a lot of this stuff will never be manufactured again, and every time someone destroys or throws something out (especially if it's still usable or restorable), it's gone forever and may deprive someone of it who could otherwise put it to good use.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

I looked over those machines when they were for sale. I gave here a price of $400 for both and she passed. Hope you didn't pay anymore. The cabinet for the BH was in very good shape. I would hope that helps save another machine. I'm in Marietta GA and I might be interested in it. I have a laser wars cabinet that's in bad shape but you could have that to fix your high speed
Mike V

Yes, I paid too much. But I really wanted the Simpsons. If you saw it then you know that it's in decent shape.Ohh, And it is a LOT cleaner now! Those things were filthy! The lower cabinet is stripped. I took everything off of it.

#9 7 years ago

As ForceFlow says, never destroy. Even if you were to rip apart a cabinet, don't do it to a widebody. There isn't a giant market for cabs, but I, for instance, have been searching for a widebody cab for a project for three years and have yet to see one come up for sale. Passed on 10+ standard width cabs in the same amount of time.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Joker2415:

I have the lower PF, which is almost mint!

most BH lower playfields (certainly not all though!) are in pretty good shape. typically it only gets a fraction of the use of the upper playfield, and it's naturally protected from UV and the elements by virtue of being underneath the main playfield.

still, there's bound to be demand, since there are no BH playfield reproductions, and it's kind of unlikely there ever will be. sadly, the selling price of this game in good condition is too low to make reproduction playfields a viable venture, especially since the game requires artwork and printing and materials for two playfields, not just one.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Joker2415:

If you saw it then you know that it's in decent shape.Ohh, And it is a LOT cleaner now! Those things were filthy! The lower cabinet is stripped. I took everything off of it.

The Simpsons cabinet itself was structurally sound but someone repainted a big portion of the side art by hand and didn't do a very good job. The main board for that is very hard to find. A guy in Europe has a used translite though.

Let me know if you want to do anything with BH cabinet

Mike V

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

The main board for that is very hard to find.

The MPU? System 80 boards aren't that hard to source. And after-market replacements are available.

#13 7 years ago

Yes .. the main board to the DE Simpsons. The Black Hole boards can all be found it just going to cost you a bunch

Mike V

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

The cabinet itself was structurally sound but someone repainted a big portion of the side art by hand and didn't do a very good job. The main board for that is very hard to find. A guy in Europe has a used translite though.
Let me know if you want to do anything with BH cabinet
Mike V

Your mixed up ...The Simpsons was hand painted down one side and the back box.. They did a real bad job. The Black Hole just has some writing on it in pen or something in a small area. I didn't scrub at it too much to see if it would come off. I just went over them real quick to clean them up, so my hands wouldn't get dirty every time I touched them. PM sent...

I just reread your post, maybe you were talking about the Simpsons cabinet. Maybe I'm the one that's mixed up.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Yes .. the main board to the DE Simpsons. The Black Hole boards can all be found it just going to cost you a bunch
Mike V

Eventually I'll look for boards that need work. For the Simpsons. I like messing around with that kind of stuff. I'd be happy just finding non working boards for now. But, That's a distant project for right now.

#16 7 years ago

Yes .. sorry edited original post to make all this clearer. I do remember the BH as being in good shape

#17 7 years ago

Don't ruin the black hole cabinet. Sell it to someone else before you would destroy it. If you need to replace a side of a game cabinet is it that bad? If it's flaking the paint and planked, fix it with bondo, paint or cut a new piece of plywood if it's shot.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, it's a little hard to find. I've had my eye out for a nice one for mine. If you don't want it, sell it to someone who does to fund your other projects.
The Gottlieb cabinet is a different size than Williams cabinets, so you wouldn't be able to do a direct replacement anyway.
Just buy some plywood for your repair. No need to scrap and chop up a perfectly good cabinet.
Keep in mind that a lot of this stuff will never be manufactured again, and every time someone destroys or throws something out (especially if it's still usable or restorable), it's gone forever and may deprive someone of it who could otherwise put it to good use.

I agree! I would much rather see someone that can use it, with it. I know the cabinets are different. Plywood is 50 bucks a sheet. so, I thought if the cabinet wasn't hard to find or no interest out there, I could cut the side down to change the side on the high speed. Hopefully, Racing Pin can use it. I'd rather do that, than to chop a good solid cabinet. I thought I was going to save it, but it won't fit in the garage loft for storage. It's too wide to fit the pull down stairs.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Don't ruin the black hole cabinet. Sell it to someone else before you would destroy it. If you need to replace a side of a game cabinet is it that bad? If it's flaking the paint and planked, fix it with bondo, paint or cut a new piece of plywood if it's shot.

Yes, the williams cabinet, was destroyed, the bottom was tore out in the coin box area, then the side was half tore off, so they tried to patch it with sheet metal and bondo. About a 2 foot section. It was just a really poor repair job. I'm going to cut the hole square, drill.glue, and peg it, then add a section of plywood back in there. so that it at least won't look like it was all patched up, unless you really look on the inside. Then the leg will have some real support too, other than bondo and sheet metal. it was moving all around.

#20 7 years ago

Can you take some photos of what you have?

I'm interested in making you an offer on the lower playfield... you can pm me, fine!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Can you take some photos of what you have?
I'm interested in making you an offer on the lower playfield... you can pm me, fine!

Sure no problem! I'll even take trades on stuff I may need if you have parts laying around for other machines. PM sent...

#22 7 years ago

I'm looking for the lock-down bar receiver moulding for a Black Hole if you decide to sell that separately, thanks

1 week later
#23 7 years ago

You stated that your disc motor was stripped. I'm actually looking for one that has the gears stripped. I have another use for it. Looking for the complete motor/gearbox unit. Non-working. Would you be willing to sell it to me?
Please let me know.
Thanks
Bob

1 month later
#24 7 years ago

Is the cabinet still available?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from jjward3:

Is the cabinet still available?

Yes, it's still sitting in the corner of my garage. I never did anything with it. I still haven't even started on repairing the High Speed cabinet yet either. That whole project was shoved to the side for now.

2 years later
#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Joker2415:

Yes, it's still sitting in the corner of my garage. I never did anything with it. I still haven't even started on repairing the High Speed cabinet yet either. That whole project was shoved to the side for now.I would love to buy this if its still available. It would support saving one more Black Hole.

back glass (resized).jpgback glass (resized).jpgboards (resized).jpgboards (resized).jpgcoin door (resized).jpgcoin door (resized).jpglower field (resized).jpglower field (resized).jpgupper field (resized).jpgupper field (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-cabinet-hard-to-find and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.