Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

173440789_1033177487211252_9075720094951894646_n (resized).png
168146310_2815363988723315_2959253604033738425_n (resized).jpg
1D20854E-C5C7-4E63-82DD-829084F49486 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago

Check your cables and wiring. It could be a driver board issue too. It would help to know which sounds play correctly and which ones don't. For instance, on my BH none of the sounds from 16-31 played properly and the ones from 0-15 played fine. That made it easy to deduce that it was the fifth bit that was missing. Sure enough that wire from the driver board to the sound board was broken. What sound does it make when the ball goes through the spinner? If it makes the tilt sound instead of the spinner sound you have the same problem I had.

https://www.pinwiki.com//wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole#Sound_Mapping_for_Black_Hole

#11 3 years ago

This may not be your problem, but I will post a little background that I figured out while tracking down my sound issues in Black Hole:

The driver board has 4 dedicated connections to the sound board to select the sound. 4 bits can make a total of 16 sounds - which was plenty on a lot of early SS games. On Black Hole there are 32 sounds, so they needed a 5th control line to double the number of sounds. Gottlieb used a spare playfield lamp driver as the 5th bit. Unfortunately that 5th bit is not wired directly from the driver board to the sound board like the other 4 bits are. That 5th bit travels down to the playfield within the standard playfield harness, but rather than turning a lamp on and off it loops back up to the backbox to the sound board. There are a couple of connectors the 5th bit has to pass through in that path if you trace it out. On my game I found a couple of wires pulled out of a connector just below the backbox and sure enough one of them was that fifth sound bit...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-backround-sounds-stopped-wrong-sounds-play-during-gameplay?tu=John_I and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.