Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi all, I just picked up a black hole and the lamps that illuminate "Black Hole" on the back box are all out. Fuses are all good and if I would think if it was a fuse that the whole backbox would be out. Visually I don't see any broken wires so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Also, the P1 and P4 displays are misbehaving in that P1 the 3rd digit comes and goes. On P4 it only displays garbage. One thing I have noticed is the ground mods have not been done so that's next on my list of things to tackle.

Any help on either topic is appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Did you try new bulbs to make sure they weren't out? I'd also check the wires to the light sockets.

For the displays, try unplugging and cleaning them all. TNT has some good videos of BH

I would agree, the ground mod is good!

#3 6 years ago

Yes, I tried replacing bulbs and they're still out. I'll check individual socket wires and clean the displays and see what happens. Thanks

#4 6 years ago

Figured it out... didn't notice when checking fuses that one of the wires going to the fuse was disconnected... resoldered and all is good.

Cleaned the displays and they're still not acting correctly... any ideas?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Figured it out... didn't notice when checking fuses that one of the wires going to the fuse was disconnected... resoldered and all is good.
Cleaned the displays and they're still not acting correctly... any ideas?

Mmmm, you should post in the black hole club thread. Some much smarter sys80 guys there. But it could be a bad connection between board(s) or a failing component on one, chip or cap or something.

Do you have the manual/schematics for the game? I think you'll need to work backward from the display. Make sure you have correct voltage and then the board they connect to has proper logic

#6 6 years ago

Burnish (clean with pink pearl eraser) or similar the edge connectors on the MPU. Do them all but concentrate on the two on the right hand side. Also inspect those connectors. Looking inside ensure none are collapsed, broken etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-back-box-lamp-issuedisplay-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.