(Topic ID: 128260)

Black Hole acting weird?????

By konghusker

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I fired up bh last night, and the game turned on, lights came on, sound came on, but score board didn't light or the credit/ball counter either. I hit start button, and nothing. I turned off/on machine again, and this time it released two balls on it's own, and the playfield lights were off. I plunged them into field, flippers wouldn't work. Then after plunging 3 balls, game kicked on like normal and I played 2 games until it stopped like I tilted and it started saying several times "oh no". I checked all connections, and fuses, and found nothing. The tilt light was on during the odd operating time as well. This went on for about 40 minutes while I kept checking connectors, and resetting machine. After messing with it for a while, the game started working fine again. It's working this morning again fine, but what in the world could have caused this. I've heard something about a slam switch possibly? Any ideas that I should be aware of if this happens again?

#2 8 years ago

Also, I wanted to get a video of it but now I can't as it's not acting up anymore.

#3 8 years ago

Yeah these things get cranky and pout a little if you don't pay attention to them for a while. Usually they get over it after a few plays!

#4 8 years ago

When games take a bit to "warm up" before they start playing correctly, I usually find that the issue is with one or more capacitors going bad.

#5 8 years ago

Have you done the ground mods on this? If not it may always be temperamental.

#6 8 years ago

Is your Nicad battery still on the CPU board? Or, was there previous acid damage to the board around the battery? If not properly neutralized, acid damage keeps eating away at traces and problems can occur months or years later.

A bad slam switch usually results in fluttering score displays. So, for it not to power up and light any of the displays, tends to indicate a CPU board issue (or power supply).

Once you got it to come up, the solenoid issues you describe may be the interconnect harness between the CPU and driver board (assuming you have already done all the ground mods).

#7 8 years ago

Connectors or cracked solder joints.

#8 8 years ago

All ground mods are done and battery was removed with no damage. It was playing fine today now. It's a great machine, just freaked out on me last night with its weird antics. Thanks for the ideas to look at

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-acting-weird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.