Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cfh
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

239CF2EC-F7C9-4982-A392-3A879934C705 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    58166800-EF97-4485-9B87-A45E818B94CD (resized).jpeg
    20181123_180446 (resized).jpg
    20181123_203608 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20181124-131815 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20181124-131915 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20181124-131800 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20181124-131847 (resized).png
    20181123_212219 (resized).jpg
    toydrive2018_6 (resized).jpg
    toydrive2018_5 (resized).jpg
    toydrive2018_3 (resized).jpg
    toydrive2018_2 (resized).jpg
    toydrive2018_1 (resized).jpg
    jmandfriend (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

For the last 5 years or so we have held a charity pinball event at the Ann Arbor MI VFW facility on Black Friday. Most of the time it's been for a local food bank and/or Toys for Tots. As a continuation of this service, this year, Nov 23rd 2018, aka Black Friday, we will be doing that again. Time did change this year though, it's from 7pm to 11pm (an hour earlier than prior years.)

Here's how it works... Go to the VFW web page at http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128 and get a ticket reservation for $5 via paypal. We do this so we can control the number of people coming to the event (paypal has a nice inventory system). The $5 fee frankly gets largely eaten up by paypal fees (we end up with $3 and some change), and that money goes to related expenses for the event (mostly food, we usually get a load of pizza).

But you're not quite done... Since the charity is Toys for Tots, you need to get an unwrapped toy to bring with your ticket reservation. Bring both to the event (or you won't get in!) Also the toy should have a $20 retail value (or more). Each person must have a toy. Don't be cheap! we have turned people away because they got some crap dollar store junk. This is a charity event, be kind! "Screaming" Scott Randal from radio station WRIF will be there collecting the toys for Toys for Tots (his favorite charity.)

Must be 21 years of age or older to attend.

So what do you get in return? You get a night of pinball at the VFW's main building. All games are on free play obviously. Most people comment this is their favorite VFW event. Why? We keep the numbers low for this, usually around 100 people or so (plus the orange shirt guys.) So there's plenty of room to play games and have fun. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Those of you who haven’t attended, this is a great event for an even greater cause. Thanks again Clay!

#3 5 years ago

If you want to go get your reservations soon, numbers are getting thin.

#4 5 years ago

I would also like to add that you need TWO things to attend this event... A ticket reservation and a new unwrapped toy. You need both! thank you.

#5 5 years ago

There are very few tickets left for the VFW black friday "toys for tots" charity event.
    YOU CAN NOT COME WITHOUT A TICKET (or a toy!)
    details/tix: http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128

JM is coming with his friend....
    jmandfriend (resized).jpgjmandfriend (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago

SOLD OUT.
    remember you *must* have a ticket to attend! (in addition to a toy.)

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

SOLD OUT.
    remember you *must* have a ticket to attend! (in addition to a toy.)

bummer just found this thred.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

JM is coming with his friend....
    [quoted image]

Which one is JM?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Which one is JM?

The "Big" one

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The "Big" one

Which one is that?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Which one is that?

THAT'S what I'm looking for

#12 5 years ago

looks like the BIG one is going to have to lay down thelaw come friday

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

... lay down thelaw come friday

You kinky fucker

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

bummer just found this thred.

send me a direct email with your request. do not use PM i don't check that.
    [email protected]

#15 5 years ago

toydrive2018_1 (resized).jpgtoydrive2018_1 (resized).jpg
    toydrive2018_2 (resized).jpgtoydrive2018_2 (resized).jpg
    toydrive2018_3 (resized).jpgtoydrive2018_3 (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago

toydrive2018_5 (resized).jpgtoydrive2018_5 (resized).jpg
    toydrive2018_6 (resized).jpgtoydrive2018_6 (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago

Another fantastic night of pinball at VFW!!! Thanks for making it a charity event. It's always cool to see the WRIF crew, 'Screaming' Scott should have had a t-shirt cannon to launch shirts at unsuspecting people throughout the night, though.

#18 5 years ago

Great show for a great cause Clay! I loved that it wasn’t crowded. Literally no wait time for machines.

#19 5 years ago
    20181123_212219 (resized).jpg20181123_212219 (resized).jpg
    #20 5 years ago
    Screenshot_20181124-131800 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181124-131800 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181124-131815 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181124-131815 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181124-131847 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181124-131847 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181124-131915 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181124-131915 (resized).png
    #21 5 years ago

Toys for Tots is an amazing charity! Good luck with everything!

#22 5 years ago

It wouldn't be a VFW Pinball event without
    a major malfunction of a Gottlieb Star Series 80 machine. Eight weeks ago, it was Haunted House. This time it was Black Hole.

20181123_203608 (resized).jpg20181123_203608 (resized).jpg
    #23 5 years ago

Big thanks to vfw and rif for a great event!

#24 5 years ago

Since Jerry was busy with the Black Hole issue, we had a board repair temp help out....

20181123_180446 (resized).jpg20181123_180446 (resized).jpg
    1 year later
    #25 4 years ago

=====================================
    For the last 6 years or so we have held a charity pinball event at the Ann Arbor MI VFW facility on Black Friday. This year, Nov 29th 2019, aka Black Friday, we will be doing that again. Time is from 7pm to 11pm.

Here's how it works this year...

Since the charity is Toys for Tots, you need to get an unwrapped new toy to bring to the vfw. The toy should have a $10 to $20 retail value (or more if you so desire). Each person must have a toy. Don't be cheap! we have turned people away because they got some junky dollar store stuff. This is a charity event, so please be kind! "Screaming" Scott Randal from radio station WRIF will be there collecting the toys for Toys for Tots (his favorite charity.) We are also asking for $20 cash donation (there will be a donation jar.) This is optional, but highly encouraged.

Must be 21 years of age or older to attend.

So what do you get in return? You get a night of pinball at the VFW's main building. All games are on free play obviously. Most people comment this is their favorite VFW event. We purposely don't announce the event until now to try and keep attendance numbers reasonable. If there's any questions you can direct email me (no PMs) [email protected]
    thanks!

#26 4 years ago

Bump! I have a nice new Duplo set and twenty bucks burning a hole in my pocket. Wish I was closer.

#27 4 years ago

Are reservations needed?

#28 4 years ago

no reservations are needed. simply show up at 7pm with gift in hand to come and enjoy the festivities

additionally, all $20+ donations will qualify for a selfie with clay

#29 4 years ago

For $25 you can use the shitter

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Non-members only......

#31 4 years ago

So do we get a ticket with donation to get our selfie? Or do we just find him, hug him and snag a pic?

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

So do we get a ticket with donation to get our selfie? Or do we just find him, hug him and snag a pic?

J_M or Screaming Scott will take you over to Mr. Happy verifying your donation. This way the selfie will be authorized. He promises to be on his best behavior. That's not saying very much.....

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

... He promises to be on his best behavior. ....

I think he already rescinded that statement.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think he already rescinded that statement.

I wonder if the shipping container of Genuine VFW LED's arrived today for the big sale during the event?

From the prior posting aboot them:
    We will be selling quality LEDs at the show. I've tried to get vendors to come to sell LEDs (it's such a popular item, and it's small/easy for people to buy), without any success. So in absence of that, we will be selling our own brand of LEDs at the show. We won't have the total selection of colors/types that say Coin Taker has, but we'll have the most popular #555/#44 in a variety of colors. All are frosted round top 5050 style LEDs with built in bridge, so they are good quality. And at a very competitive price. Also will have #89/#906 flashers.

#35 4 years ago

Regardless of the previous posts about the toilet facilities, selfies, and LED lights…

The purpose of “Black Friday Event” is to raise awareness and help the “Toys for Tots” charity.

The event also provides an opportunity for the public to enjoy one of the top pinball collections in the United States.

As a member of the VFW, I’m privileged to be able to indulge in a collection ranging from the early 1950’s to the latest offerings from today’s manufactures. 400+ games all in “A+” condition.

Please attend if you can, and please be generous.

Doug D.

VFW member

#36 4 years ago

I always look forward to this event too. Always happy to see the amount of good pinheads donate during this.

So these leds....are they from alibaba?

#37 4 years ago

just to reiterate:

each person MUST bring a brand new, unwrapped toy (we're looking for nice items, something valued at $15 or more that you wouldn't would be ashamed to give to own your kids). we will be turning away those people that don't meet the criteria (this is a CHARITY event, people)

additionally, we will have a tip jar and are asking for cash donations to help purchase a new, efficient heating system to help keep the machines in working order (you wouldn't believe what it takes to keep all 3 buildings heated through the winter months)

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I always look forward to this event too. Always happy to see the amount of good pinheads donate during this.
    So these leds....are they from alibaba?

Nope. The VFW manufacturing plant in Furd, New Jersey.

#39 4 years ago

Hope to make it out again., great cause at a great place.

#40 4 years ago

No LEDs but i do have a pile of game manuals for sale. $5 (or so) a manual.

PLEASE do not bring dollar store junk toys. get something decent, name brand. with a dollar store within a rock throw of anywhere, my fear is a bunch of crap for the kids. even a big pile of dollar store (or 'five and under') type stuff isn't a substitute for a decent good quality toy. thank you in advance.

#41 4 years ago

Happen to have a gottlieb Monte Carlo manual?

#42 4 years ago

Do Dave and Chuck the Freak go to this? I listen to them in Boston.

#43 4 years ago

No Dave and Chuck are the wrif morning crew. Scott Randal is a 7pm night guy. He’s the one that likes the toys for tots charity and the one we work with on this

#44 4 years ago

Got my selfie with clay!!! Another great toys for tots event. Good times!!!!

58166800-EF97-4485-9B87-A45E818B94CD (resized).jpeg58166800-EF97-4485-9B87-A45E818B94CD (resized).jpeg
    #45 4 years ago

My stomach hurts.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Quoted from Bax1:

Got my selfie with clay!!! Another great toys for tots event. Good times!!!![quoted image]

In that pic, Mr. Happy looks like he was getting cramps and had to pucker-up as even he wont use the dumper there.

#47 4 years ago

Thanks again Clay for having your black Friday event!

#48 4 years ago

Some of the staff and techs enjoying the show in the tech area. Thanks again for the opportunity to play your great games and contribute to Toys for Tots.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #49 4 years ago

those that take advantage of this combination of pinball and charity!

239CF2EC-F7C9-4982-A392-3A879934C705 (resized).jpeg239CF2EC-F7C9-4982-A392-3A879934C705 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-friday-vfw-toys-for-tots-charity-pinball-event and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.