(Topic ID: 24494)

Black dust on bottom of playfield - how to clean?

By vislor

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MrSanRamon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Shopping a WPT, top was real clean and nice but it looks like the bottom hasn't been cleaned since it was manufactured in 2006. Have it stripped down to basically the wood, how does one clean the black dust / stains off the bottom without ruining the wood?

#2 7 years ago

Naptha should work nice

#3 7 years ago

Edit - Do NOT use this method (thanks for the info guys)

#4 7 years ago

Sand it off, I do not think there is another way to really do it.

#5 7 years ago

I use paint brushes and a vacuum and for the inserts a small mini vac and finish with dry artists brushes.
    They come out clean and you are not smearing the magic dust into the wood or getting it wet.
    You don't need anything wet to clean these and you are not picking out cotton fibers from using a Qtip.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Edit - Looks like this is more for cleaning inserts.
    » YouTube video

Don't do this FT, look at that shit running all over the wood and you don't want that chemical on the plastic.
    This is a tutorial on how NOT to clean inserts!

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Don't do this FT, look at that shit running all over the wood and you don't want that chemical on the plastic.
    This is a tutorial on how NOT to clean inserts!

I tried this my first week in the hobby. First pin, first cleaning. I could tell it sucked the first time I tried it. Bad info for newbies.

#8 7 years ago

+1 on paint brushes and vacuum. Also very handy for cabinet bases and back boxes. Dust/dirt+humidity+time makes the grime stick. A gentle brushing is all it takes to free a lot of crap.

Adding liquid cleaners only after you've tried this. Using them first smears the dirt around too much.

#9 7 years ago

If you want it "clean" you need to remove the playfield, remove everything and vac the bottom and then sand it off. A lot of work but really the only way to do it right.

#10 7 years ago

Air compressor for the quick cleaning, cleans out inserts, blows off bulbs, coils etc.n it doesn't unstain the wood obviously, but cleans it for functionality

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

If you want it "clean" you need to remove the playfield, remove everything and vac the bottom and then sand it off. A lot of work but really the only way to do it right.

This is the only way to completely remove it all but really isn't necessary you just need to remove the bulk.
    Any magic dust residue will bond to the wood with any liquid.

#12 7 years ago

I use a giant electromagnet to pick up all that powdered steel.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I agree!!! If you are serious about restoring or cleaning this the way to go and have it looking brand new!!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Air compressor for the quick cleaning, cleans out inserts, blows off bulbs, coils etc

Before any machine gets into the house I use the air compressor on the entire bottom side getting all the inserts clean and all black dust off the coils and wire harness as well. Then vaccum the bottom of the cabinet and she is ready to head inside.

#15 7 years ago

Simple green

#16 7 years ago

Air compressor or compressed air VERTICALLY is fine if you are not doing a full restore (and you are in a dirty area anyway).. followed by bleach-white/simple green/mean green/your favorite cleaner + q-tip for getting anything that sticks.

By the way, Jeri is a genius but man thats a mess!! LOL, I doubt it would harm though.. (you use freeze spray on top to remove Mylar with inserts below it anyway)

#17 7 years ago

Compressed air, then a vacuum with a (round) brush attachment, then compressed air again.

I don't use any other method, as the process of trying to really clean the PF bottom will F-up more than the value (for me) of getting it cleaner than just the air and vacuum.

For the inserts I use Q-tips and water and/or a non-ammonia based "Windex"...like Perfect Glass.

For the lamp circuit boards I spray on Simple Green and rinse with warm water and either wipe & sun dry or blow off with an air hose.

Robert

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    € 12.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Multigame
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Forever
    $ 89.99
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 6,450.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    € 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Dystopian Mods Italia
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside