(Topic ID: 245688)

Black Ceramic power ball available soon. Thread updated.

By HOOKED

25 days ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by HOOKED
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Interested in black ceramic power balls?”

• Yes sign me up 5 votes
    21%
  • No too hard to see 16 votes
    67%
  • Maybe if the price is right. 3 votes
    13%

(24 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bag o balls (resized).jpg
Capture16 (resized).JPG

#1 25 days ago

Thought I would toss this out there and gauge interest on a black version power ball.
The tolerance would be a G10, like our white power ball which is a higher grade than the original power balls.
I was told the G10 is the highest grade available in the 1 1/16 inch size.

https://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p133/Ceramic-Pinball-Powerball.html

Pricing will be close to the white version.

I plan have been planning on getting a JJP POTC and thought this would be an interesting mod as a cannon ball.
Yes I know the ceramic ball is faster and yes the black would be hard to see at times....that is why I think it would be a cool novelty.

Before I take the plunge and stock them I thought I'd ask the community.

Beware of cheap power balls - ask them what grade they are when you buy them. If they don't know they just don't know.

#2 25 days ago

I'm sorry but no.

#4 24 days ago

Could be useful on Centaurs queens chamber. A lighter ball in black would look sharp and get alot more action on getting those drops down.

#5 24 days ago

I am just now finding out about power balls. There is not a lot of info. on them. Where can I get more information? > But I think they sound interesting. I'd like to give one a try but they are not low priced.

I'll start with what is a G-10? What other grades are there? What is a cheap power ball? How do I judge quality? Why are G-10s better?

Thank you

#6 24 days ago

I think they might work advertised for TBL owners.

I ran some painted glow balls for a while in mine, a little light and speedy, the Paint didnt hold up Well enough, black with 3 holes and brunswick on them might look just as good

#8 24 days ago

Mats decorative pinballs at Back Alley are not ceramic rather they are normal balls that have been treated to turn black. The power ball is lighter which equates to faster game play.

#9 24 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'll start with what is a G-10? What other grades are there? What is a cheap power ball? How do I judge quality? Why are G-10s better?
Thank you

The G10 reffers to the measurement of circumfrence variance. Basically the lower the number the better. So the surface variance will effect how the ball rolls. Ceramic bearing quality has reached a high level, very close to perfection as compared to the 90s version.

#10 24 days ago

I would be interested for my TZ. Not sure for Pirates tho.

I have three metal black balls in BSD. Pretty cool in that game

#11 24 days ago

BSD mist ball would not work with the ceramic ball.
I know most people know this but just incase notated.

#12 24 days ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

The G10 reffers to the measurement of circumfrence variance. Basically the lower the number the better. So the surface variance will effect how the ball rolls. Ceramic bearing quality has reached a high level, very close to perfection as compared to the 90s version.

Thank you.

Eventually, my silver balls get scratched and dinged up and need replaced. I assume the ceramic ball has a longer life? Correct? I acknowledge they are lighter; This is why I am researching them. Are there any other advantages, please? Are there any disadvantages?

I am really wanting to try one of these.

============================

Since I have never used power ball, my opinion is not of much value, but I did have a Black Pearl steel ball in one of my pins for a year. I really liked the black but the pin is a light blue pin in color and the black ball made nice contrast. However, all of my other pins trend towards darker blues and greens. I don't think a black colored ball would work well in that situation; It would be hard to see. I think producing a black power ball could be too much financial risk to take on.

#13 24 days ago

I'd be interested in one as a gimmic for my TZ .(THe only game it's actually called a 'power ball', I believe?) I already have a custom-made Grey one, the proto Blue one, and the white - would be nice having a black. But at least in that game - be prepared for a very difficult time seeing the ball zoom around the field.

#14 23 days ago

Bump for the morning crowd.
Order for Whites in on Monday.
For those that contacted me to order I will contact you back if the order is a no go.

#15 23 days ago

So get a colorbomb your to so it's really hard to see them put in a black ball to make it impossible. Great. The only time this might work is for idiots with pinstadiums who can't see the ball due to the glare on it.

#16 23 days ago

I have black metal balls in my Black Rose and while they do look awesome as cannon balls they are also pretty hard to see without a lot of room light. Because of the visibillity issue I wouldn't recommend black balls in general for any pins.

#17 19 days ago

With the feedback and messages we are doing a short run test. Price I'll be the same as our white version. Will be on our site in Aug. Those that contacted me I will fill your orders first.
Thanks
Robert
Hookedonpinball.com

#18 19 days ago

I have black balls in my Hobbit Black Arrow and they are just fine to see (no added lighting) in a lit room. they really suit the machine.
I set my highest two scores with the black ones in. I couldn't justify the price of five of these though.

#19 19 days ago
Quoted from Marvin:

So get a colorbomb your to so it's really hard to see them put in a black ball to make it impossible. Great. The only time this might work is for idiots with pinstadiums who can't see the ball due to the glare on it.

You do know that Pinstadiums are dimmable?

#20 19 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

You do know that Pinstadiums are dimmable?

yes, which makes them even dumber. Pay way too much money to over-light your game, then turn it down because you just want retina searing levels of light rather than retina nuking levels of light.

#21 19 days ago
Capture16 (resized).JPG
#22 19 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

[quoted image]

At least you know, and that's half the battle.

#23 19 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

I have black balls in my Hobbit Black Arrow and they are just fine to see (no added lighting) in a lit room. they really suit the machine.
I set my highest two scores with the black ones in. I couldn't justify the price of five of these though.

I dont think you would want 5 in a game being they are lighter and faster than normal steel balls.

#24 19 days ago

The machine takes 5 balls? Why would you put only one in there? I don't understand how that would work.

#25 19 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

The machine takes 5 balls? Why would you put only one in there? I don't understand how that would work.

One ball would be ceramic which would change up the speed of the game basically a novelty. I just cant see putting 5 in and have an ultra fast game.
Great thing about pinball is we own them and can make them however we like to play them.
Most games with a ceramic ball in them only have one (like TZ or Avatar LE) I have one in my TNA just to change it up a bit.

#26 19 days ago

Ok, i see. That would freak me out, especially on a machine like Hobbit where i can't take my eyes away from the flippers during the bigger multi's and just relying on muscle memory to make the shots. One of the balls behaving differently to the others...dunno

But as you say it's an individual thing for sure, good luck with the sales.

2 weeks later
#27 5 days ago

Launching on Sunday.
These turned out better than I thought. More of a black pearl color with high gloss.
Checking them all in and will be on our site on Sunday.
hookedonpinball.com

bag o balls (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside