54%
  • Stranger Things 56 votes
    46%

(121 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stbk (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Opportunity is available to purchase only one of the last NiB LE of these 2 titles to add to home use small modern 3 pin Stern collection.

I have huge respect for both designers and their teams.
Unfortunately I am living at a location where test play is not possible. I can only rely on videos so hoping some pinheads with both will chime in .
Im really split to be honest.

Premium/ LE owners or players
What is better and have staying power ?

#2 4 years ago

For me, if they were both Pro, I'd get bksor over st.

However, the premium ST is a better game than the premium Bksor. I have bksor le on loan and the upper play field gets boring after some time. You're up there a lot and not much to do.

The features in Prem ST make it the better game imo. Ask them to throw in the uv lights!

#3 4 years ago

Right now, I would trade my STH Prem for a BKSOR Prem.

#4 4 years ago

I think BKSoR has more staying power from a theme standpoint. I see Stranger Things as a bit more of a fad. From a gameplay standpoint, I think they are pretty even in terms of pros and cons. With that being said, I’ve played both quite a bit and prefer BKSoR.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for all the votes so far.

Certainly appears to be close to 50/50 with BKSoR having a very slight edge.

I hope to be joining one of the clubs next week, just so torn on which one

Will watch some more gameplay vids over the weekend.

I see BKSoR code is possibly complete at 1.01 ? , however ST code still has a way to go only at 0.88.
I wonder with complete code ST might edge out BK ?

#6 4 years ago

Why not wait a while until both are complete? Both will be very easy to find still.

#7 4 years ago

The upper playfield on BKSoR adds a lot of playability in my opinion. If you gave me the choice between pros, I’d pick Stranger Things. But if you gave me the choice between LEs it’d be Black Knight no question.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Camvr2013:

The upper playfield on BKSoR adds a lot of playability in my opinion. If you gave me the choice between pros, I’d pick Stranger Things. But if you gave me the choice between LEs it’d be Black Knight no question.

Exact opposite for me.
Prefer pro on BK.
Prem/LE Stranger Things
Hope you got a deal if you are paying NIB.

#9 4 years ago

Haven't played Stranger Things but have owned 3 BK's and 3 BK 2000's.This "lockdown" gave me time to get into my BKSOR.I love it.Getting back into the retro modes with the original or BK2K during gameplay makes this a forever game to me.Hard game to beat.Great game to play.

#10 4 years ago

I vote for neither game. If you Force one..then stranger things

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why not wait a while until both are complete? Both will be very easy to find still.

Thanks Chuck,

last couple available LE NiB's here down under ,
2 second hand BKSoR LE have hit market so far that I know of, no STH LE as yet.
I would prefer new I suppose. With only around 50 of each in Australia may be a little dificult. BK LE second hand prices tanked a little. I'm not sure how STH will fare ?

Cheers

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

I vote for neither game. If you Force one..then stranger things

Yeah maybe wait on Turtles perhaps. I'm not a fan of the theme however I'm a big fan of John Borgs pace and Zombi Yeti's amazing art.
Problem is our dollar has tanked big time and NB prices are going o get beyond insane

JJP Gunners is my only other option, I think I have to learn some patience

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

I'm not sure how ST will fare ?

Same I’d say. STH isn’t blowing people’s minds or anything. Probably land in similar price ranges as GOT or BK SOR.

Just wait for a used one down the road. You’ll find one. Even if they are limited near you.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Opportunity is available to purchase only one of the last NiB LE of these 2 titles to add to home use small modern 3 pin Stern collection.
I have huge respect for both designers and their teams.
Unfortunately I am living at a location where test play is not possible. I can only rely on videos so hoping some pinheads with both will chime in .
Im really split to be honest.
Premium/ LE owners or players
What is better and have staying power ?

Why the rush to spend your money, Ando?

Neither are classic titles, and will tank for resale (in Aussie and NZ)

If I was choosing between those two, I’d look for a cheap used BK Pro. Good tournament game. Otherwise - I’d pass.

Keep your powder dry - or buy some classic titles instead.

rd

#15 4 years ago

If your going pro BKSOR fast paced fun brutal game to play. If your talking premiums/LE go stranger Things BKSOR with the mini PF can become boring if your accurate just keep sending it to the mini PF.

#16 4 years ago

Upper playfield ruins BKSOR for me. Since we're talking LEs I'd pick Stranger Things, assuming you dial out all of the clunk. Chuckwurt did a great video demonstrating playfield tweaks.

#17 4 years ago

I voted ST...if we are talking about LEs. The music and topper are really good on BK, but every other category goes to ST for me.

#18 4 years ago

I voted Stranger Things since you're talking about the LE version of both.

Otherwise it would have been BKSOR all day! I think I would even pick a BKSOR pro over a Stranger Things LE as it is now...
Not that Stranger Things is a bad pin though but I love the theme integration on BKSOR!

#19 4 years ago

I have BKSOR LE and NST LE next to each other. I don't think either is in the category of what I would consider Sterns best recent games (DP, Maiden, BM66, SW) but both are fun and should be considered especially for a larger collection. BKSOR has more of a unique layout which I like, I also love the music and callouts, and the topper really is a must for this. NST requires a lot more work out of the box to get it in good condition - fixing the TK lock, getting the demogorgon so you can hit it in the mouth, and installing the UV package. The NST code is still a work in progress and will likely be fun but not really innovative when it is done. My family is really into the NST theme which is why I got it. I voted for NST but I think these are a close.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Why the rush to spend your money, Ando?
Neither are classic titles, and will tank for resale (in Aussie and NZ)
If I was choosing between those two, I’d look for a cheap used BK Pro. Good tournament game. Otherwise - I’d pass.
Keep your powder dry - or buy some classic titles instead.
rd

Hey Dave,

Yeah I got hit with Fomo,
All Aussie NiB BKSoR LE are now gone, only 20 STH LE delivered down under, almost gone. I was considering STH because of rare title and have a feeling code completion will take the title to next level. Being somewhat sober now I have realized my heart is not in theme of STH and BKSoR had the edge for me.

Classics are amazing and there are a few Stern and Bally favorites that I would love. Lucks I have no room or the addiction would get the bettor of me

Thanks for the votes and awesome feedback everyone

I will leave poll open and see if the tables get turned.
Would be interesting to re-visit when STH has complete code.

stbk (resized).JPGstbk (resized).JPG

7 months later
#21 3 years ago

Hey RA77- did you go wind up with a classic title or pull trigger on one of these?
Curious where folks stand with both titles at 1.0.

#22 3 years ago

Comparing the pros 7 months ago would have been a clear BK, but ST has been getting improving reviews over time. I would consider both to be B titles from the list of recent Sterns. Probably are pretty close head to head.

#23 3 years ago

I have the BKSOR LE and NST LE sided by side. Both still have code issues even at 1.0 and slightly higher than that for BKSOR. I think NST will get the extra polish it needs, not sure about BKSOR at this point. NST requires a lot of work to get the TK lock and demogorgon working properly but it pays off once you do it. If you don't have the expertise or time to work on the mechs NST at least at the prem/LE level is probably not the game for you. The topper on BKSOR is something special that we probably won't see from Stern again and certainly not for under $500. Neither game is Stern's strongest effort but I'd give the edge to NST.

#24 3 years ago

either - both great games!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bksor-vs-stranger-things-?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.