(Topic ID: 244410)

BKSoR Pro or Premium/LE: which do you prefer?

By isJ

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by HOOKED
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic poll

“BKSoR, which is better?”

• Pro 49 votes
    42%
  • Premium/LE 68 votes
    58%

(117 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BK v BK2K v BK3 Prem v BK3 Pro (resized).png
CE56CF1E-3812-424E-8759-7B3001FD7D9F (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

I have played BKSoR pro and premium on route and prefer the Pro. The upper playfield just really slows the game down and seems very sparse to the point where it detracts heavily from the game for me.

What are your thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

BK, BK2K, BKSOR--needs upper PF to be a BK. And on SOR, it may LOOK sparse, but it really isn't. The loops, the lock and the lock target is really enough to make it worth playing, IMO. I've played both and like both, but the LE is in my lineup and is the first new Stern since Maiden I've loved.

#3 4 years ago

I get thematically why it's there, but the rest of the game is so much more exciting than the little plastic tray upstairs that it feels out of place on this one for me.

Thanks for the input!

#4 4 years ago

Also curious how many people that don't either are voting for the prem/LE.

#5 4 years ago

I had a lucky 45 minutes or so at the GSPF last month where I got to play them side by side, back and forth at will. While I respect the legacy of the BK upper playfield, I found myself having more fun shooting the Pro. Would this last at home, would I eventually wish I had more to do- like an upper playfield? IDK yet.
I've seen other threads with dramatic comments like "LE >Pro by a mile!". So, very interested in this poll.

#6 4 years ago

BK prem/LE all the way!

Something about making that catapult shot is very Satisfying!

CE56CF1E-3812-424E-8759-7B3001FD7D9F (resized).jpegCE56CF1E-3812-424E-8759-7B3001FD7D9F (resized).jpeg
#7 4 years ago

Back in april I played quite a few games at MGC. I liked the pro better however I think I would like to give the premium a second chance if I was going to be buying.

#8 4 years ago

This one is a tough call. On the one hand, I feel like it's not a Black Knight game without an upper playfield. That being said, the upper playfield on BKSoR is kind of lame. If I were buying the game, I'd probably save money and go with the pro, but I'd have to play both versions a bunch more to decide for sure.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

I have played BKSoR pro and premium on route and prefer the Pro. The upper playfield just really slows the game down and seems very sparse to the point where it detracts heavily from the game for me.
What are your thoughts?

Same here I like the pro more as I like quick fast games and the premium/LE in my opinion slows the game down.

#10 4 years ago

Pro for me but both are damn fun.

#11 4 years ago

The LE/prem has always had the catapult multi-ball which the pro lacks. The latest code update makes it a lot more valuable to make the loop shot on the upper playfield, even when not in a mode. The recent update added the ability to complete mode shots on the upper play field (with the target) and build values of the mode shots with the loop which makes it worth the time to be up there. This adds a valuable scoring strategy that won't be possible on the pro. Both play plenty fast. The pro is a decent value for the money. It may be early in the code to make the call, but the prem/LE will likely be the better game in my opinion.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

but the prem/LE will likely be the better game.

To whom exactly? U see its a game so no matter how much it costs or what the add ons are its still selective to the individual. I prefer IrMd Pre and TWD Pre to the pro but I wouldn't say they are better games because to some the Pro version plays more to their taste so I think we need to stop with the Pro vs Pre and all the "vs" in general, at least start ur comment with "for me" or "for my taste" otherwise its crap.

#13 4 years ago

Dude, c'mon.... everything posted here about enjoyment or aesthetics is a personal opinion. How could it be anything else? Prefacing everything with "IMO" or "to me" is a giant waste of time.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Dude, c'mon.... everything posted here about enjoyment or aesthetics is a personal opinion. How could it be anything else? Prefacing everything with "IMO" or "to me" is a giant waste of time.

Oh I agree and I hope no one does it so I can rip shit apart. Get it. I especially love when its posted like its fact then I can shred without a feeling. Oh and if typing three letters "IMO" is taking up too much of ur precious time then I need to know what u do with ur time.

#15 4 years ago

I slightly prefer the Pro, but I'm probably biased because I own one, plus I've never played the previous BK pins to feel that I'm missing something. I previously owned a GoT LE with the upper playfield and it mostly felt like a waste of time when up there. I also lost more money than usual reselling that game, which happens a lot with LEs in resales. So, since I like both, I'm happy with the Pro. Either way, Black Knight really is a great game and there's always time for one more play.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from taz:

previous BK pins to feel that I'm missing something

Can the poll be updated?

I'd post a third option called:

[x] "BK AND/OR a BK2K"

(They can be had as a pair or individually for less.)

-mof

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

you must be a busy man, maybe you need a personal secretary???

#18 4 years ago

I wouldn’t own anything but the LE/Prem....the upper play field ads a ton of fun and strategy for me....but to each their own and the Pro is awesome as well.

#20 4 years ago

I’ve played both and prefer the premium. I know the upper playfield gets criticized because all it has is a ball lock. However, I think it adds to the game and is a lot of fun.

#21 4 years ago

Played both a bunch. Pro is the clear winner.

premium:Leo is a complete flop on the upper

#22 4 years ago

Neck and neck at 27 27! IMO this is a great thread, but that's just my opinion.

#23 4 years ago

Curious to play the LE. I honestly find this title, based on playing the pro, beyond boring.

#24 4 years ago

After playing BKSoR, pro or premium, I still want a BK2K more than either. My brother owns a BK, so I have played enough of that for one lifetime, but I have only ever payed to play a real BK2k for any length of time, and I have completed every objective in the machine, yet when I see one, I have to play it. No kidding, unless my pants are ablaze, or my hair is on fire, I will drop a fist full of quarters in one when I find one on site. SoR premium is my choice between the two given, but honestly, an operator would get more money out of me with an old BK2k set on factory defaults. Now given some time on a Premium, it might grow on me more, but I doubt it, its the new soundtrack that puts me off my game.

#25 4 years ago

BK - ball lock on upper playfield,
BK2K - ball lock on upper playfield
BKSoR Pre/LE - ball lock on upper playfield
BKSoR Pro - No ball lock on upper playfield, no physical ball lock at all.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn’t belong.
Can you tell which thing is not like the others, by the time I finish my song?

#26 4 years ago

After now having good time on the pro and the LE, I’m Prem/LE all the way. If you don’t care about the price increase, get it.

#27 4 years ago

Played both.. own an LE. The upper pf is a great asset to the game. After playing w the upper pf theres no going back to the pro. However both are great but premium/ LE is a masterpiece.

#28 4 years ago

I’ve played both Pro and Premium.
Specifically speaking about game play, I thought the Pro plays much faster with better game flow. LE is very fun but I prefer tough game play which I thought the Pro was more challenging.

#29 4 years ago

Played both. Love them both. Like the upper playfield more. Bought an LE.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn’t belong.

Well said...

Black Knight and BK2K used to be all about staying on, and enjoying the upper playfield. Not sure why that strategy changed in BK3.

If we take a closer look at the feature list:

Cool things to do in the upper playfield:
BK: 7
BK2K: 8
BK3Prem: 3
BK3Pro: 0

BK and BK2K have much more to do and enjoy in the upper than in either BK3. Those first two upper playfields from Williams are masterpieces.
-mof

BK v BK2K v BK3 Prem v BK3 Pro (resized).pngBK v BK2K v BK3 Prem v BK3 Pro (resized).png

#31 4 years ago

These polls really are pointless. In almost all cases if comes down to the funds or how much you want to invest in a theme. But still mostly funds IMO.

For most LE/Premium buyers the mentality is this. “OMG I just played the new *** Pro at this show and it was the shit!. Called my distro immediately and placed an order for the LE/Premium.”

I guess if money was no issue, none at all, I would order the LE almost every time.

#32 4 years ago

Both are great. Bought (and still waiting on) the premium.

IMHO one of the tougher trim choices out there. The prem won out (barely) after playing the heck out of the Pro and LE at MGC.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I guess if money was no issue, none at all, I would order the LE almost every time.

Yah that's probably valid for a lot of titles, and, frankly, most things in life, right? Imagine if you didn't have to worry about money, yada, yada.

But, when the main feature difference is a 2nd playfield that temp removes you from the main field of play, then that's worth chatting about regardless of cost. You don't want to find yourself paying $1,500 more for a premium "enhancement" that's 50% less enjoyable.

#34 4 years ago

Both are good. The LE/Prem is a little less intense as the pro.

I cannot figure out the extra spinner on the pro

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

These polls really are pointless. In almost all cases if comes down to the funds or how much you want to invest in a theme. But still mostly funds IMO.

from what I see, it almost always comes down to the number of owners of each model.

46 Pro owners (38.6%)

73 LE/prem owners (61.4%)

On pinside there will always bee tons of LE fanboys trying to prop up the overpaid example. There are often the same people that sell the game with under 250 plays in 12-24 months. Just go back and watch it unfold with pretty much every title ever.

All these polls are fun to do but the end results is always pretty predictable.

#36 4 years ago

I own an LE but i played the pro a ton. I arguably feel at times maybe i paid to much and should have got a pro and sometimes i feel i love the LE. The reason its so divided is cause they are kind of different games in feel and strategy. Play both and decide for your self its the only way. Im happy with the LE but if someone bought a pro id have a hard time arguing that as well. For me i like the extra toy and the new code has evolved the upper playfield. Looking forward to seeing the rest

#37 4 years ago

I prefer the LE. I like playing the upper field. I agree it slows the game down however I believe it adds depth to the game physically that you cannot have with the pro.

#38 4 years ago

Both are undeniably great games.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

For most LE/Premium buyers the mentality is this. “OMG I just played the new *** Pro at this show and it was the shit!. Called my distro immediately and placed an order for the LE/Premium.”

Sorry you feel this is pointless, however, there are at least three Sterns I can think of offhand that I would prefer the Pro over the Premium (GoT, TWD, and now BKSoR), regardless of funds; therefore, I disagree and created a topic to ask if people feel the same. Feel free to drain any/all posts that you feel are pointless, this topic included.

#40 4 years ago

I owned pro long enough to put just under 100 games. My pro left just a few days before my le came in. The pro had just settled in and played like a dream. Le I have put just under two dozen games on it and I am torn. Pro is faster but the le just fills in the holes in the eye candy department but for the money...humm. Honestly they feel like two different games both very solid and enjoyable in their own way. If you cant swing a prem or le you will be very satisfied with the pro.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
8,730 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bksor-pro-or-premium-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.