pasted_image (resized).png
whitney_houston (resized).jpg
IMG_20190602_203934 (resized).jpg
69B76941-7EC0-4F1E-BD0A-F28863EDBC12 (resized).jpeg
FA1F4A47-9A56-4DD5-A256-0AD9E7C0E846 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190526_184811 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190526_184817 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190526_184832 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

That is a BIG defect that should have never been put in a game.

It was dr sure there before they even built the game.

I would for sure demand a replacement. Don’t relent until you get it. That is really bad!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

Also ty for chiming in it makes me feel better about it given someone with your level of experience chiming in. Regarding it spreading. But yeah I mean if they just send me a pf then I guess I'd take it but man that seems kind of like a lazy way to fix the issue.

Who is your distributor?

If you just opened this game then call them, tell them the game has a majof pf defect and should have never been past qc of the pf before being populated. This is actually indicative of the entire current culture at Stern (sadly).

Demand a new game! Not merely a new pf. As others mentions this would be like getting your brand new car and it arrives with the back quarter panel dented but someone saying it is understandable because you can't see it when driving.

It blows my mind that anyone, including HEP, would say this is acceptable. The PF is the most important part of a pinball and plainly put, if you line up 10 games with various minot issues, EVERYONE will by pass yours and will also offer you less on resale if they do offer to buy.

WHY would anyone ever accept this? Return it to you distributor, demand a replacement game! If they won't do it,then out them here and file a charge back for defective goods.

#17 4 years ago

I will add, that the defect actually tells me to look over the rest of th pf with a closer eye. That top layer split is hinting towards moreto come. Over the years as temp and humidity fluctuates, the wood will move. The top layer with weak fibers is prone to more splitting and likely planking.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Demands of a new playfield over a small issue like this helps drive NIB costs up.

Lets be honest here. This was a $20 fuck up at one point (the cost of that blank pf before anything started with it), but it went through cutting, printing, clear coating, prepopulation, population, being put in a game, and play testing... all with likely multiple QC steps alomg the way. stern at multiple steps decided to let this thing continue on down the line as it became a more and more expensive fuck up. They opted to then pass that on to a paying customer at the tune of at least a $500 resale cost to the end user. this is BAD and they need to have people push back.

This does NOT drive up NIB costs. This is something that should cost Stern as they need to rep,ace the game and now reimburse the distributor for shipping a defective product.

Now is the time to act! I assume you paid recently which means you can easily file a charge back. Once that time passes then things get harder. Call your distributor. If they don't fix this immediately then out them here and do not relent. This should be a nearly zero effort replacement and if it is not, then be sure you do the work to impact their future sales.

I let a lot os shit fly on NIB games but this is well above and beyond IMHO and I have likey unboxed more NIB games in the past five years than most people since I put them on route. That is by far the worst defect I have seen out of box. Other things come up after a few hundred plays but that is a bit different.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#30 4 years ago

wait a minute... this is the bare minimum of QC needs. I cant tell if you are trolling or you really think this is acceptable. This defect is so far beyond any acceptable level in pretty much any manufacturing I have ever seen or been part of.

It is in the surface of the finished product and the most important part of the entire game. A ding in the back of the cabinet is minor. A full crack through the top layer of the playfield... is the other side of the spectrum.

I think it is actually indicative of how BAD things are getting at Stern when this made it through every QC level and was deemed ok to them.

#37 4 years ago

And there are plenty out there for people to pick from. Given the issues, your particular game would be on the bottom of this list unless it had a pretty decent discount

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

At least a dozen professionals who work with playfields every day looked at it during the process and decided it was acceptable.
Some pinsiders think it's a horrible defect.
Whose opinion should you trust and why?

Um... the people that spend 5k+ and actually care about the end product.

Sorry but why would you ever trust the company willing to put shit like this out the door and call it good.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Every person on the line cares about the end product. It's their livelihood.

Because it's a cosmetic issue that's almost never even seen. It doesn't affect play. A dozen or more professionals that assemble pinball machines daily saw it and didn't reject it.
HEP, one of the most respected restorers in pinball looked at it and is unconcerned.
Chris Hibler, one of the top techs in pinball, is also unconcerned.
I trust those opinions more than others I've read here. If it were my game I would not be concerned.

You looking to buy? I am guessing the OP would likely be very happy to sell it to you for what he has in it? Then he could get a brand new example without this defect.

#65 4 years ago

I guess be happy it is not this (yet)

69B76941-7EC0-4F1E-BD0A-F28863EDBC12 (resized).jpeg69B76941-7EC0-4F1E-BD0A-F28863EDBC12 (resized).jpegFA1F4A47-9A56-4DD5-A256-0AD9E7C0E846 (resized).jpegFA1F4A47-9A56-4DD5-A256-0AD9E7C0E846 (resized).jpeg
#67 4 years ago

This is NOT normal Stern! This is a major issue!

#69 4 years ago

Whoa yeah glad I don't have any of that. Wtf. Is that the clear coat being pushed up by pressure from the post? Lol. What is the cure time on these 15 minutes good God. That shit doesn't seem normal to me.

Sadly it seems to be happening since maiden. See it on maiden, Beatles, and now bk3000. Started around 300 plays I would guess.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

My maiden pro had them everywhere.

Did they replace it?

2 weeks later
#90 4 years ago

Good news everyone Stern has agreed to replace my playfield.

great to hear!

Quoted from twenty84:

Just to clarify, are you getting a populated playfield to swap or a blank playfield?

my question also

#93 4 years ago

It will be populated. Oddly I have to wait for them to finish the playfield then they ship me a box which I put my playfield in and once it gets to them then they will ship me a new one. Kind of annoying the game will be down for that long while waiting for the new pf to come back to me but meh it could be worse . The Stern rep was super nice he even said to keep playing it and enjoying the game while waiting.
He asked me if it was on route, or at home. It's at home, I wonder if they would have done things faster if it was on location.

i have NEVER heard of that. In the past, they ship you a populated pf and you use the box it came in to ship your defective one back to them.

I wonder if they had issues with people not returning a pf?

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

but it’s too bad that they don’t take care of everyone with crappy playfields

if they don't take care of their current customers then they will lose future sales.

With so many options on the table, then need to be consistent good communicators when these severe quality issues arise and take care of people immediately.

Small things are going to happen in pinball, but bubbling and cracking playfields is not acceptable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
PinWoofer

$ 35.00
Electronics
FlipMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 210.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

Wanted
$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bksor-possible-playfield-issue-question?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.