pasted_image (resized).png
whitney_houston (resized).jpg
IMG_20190602_203934 (resized).jpg
69B76941-7EC0-4F1E-BD0A-F28863EDBC12 (resized).jpeg
FA1F4A47-9A56-4DD5-A256-0AD9E7C0E846 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190526_184811 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190526_184817 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190526_184832 (resized).jpg
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago

Some of you guys are killing me.
I would love to see your reaction if I tried to sell you a new car with a 4 inch crack in the rear window and pay the same price as the perfect car on the side of it.
No worries it's the rear window and you won't see it driving forward, right?
Maybe it will crack more with temperature change or vibration but hey it's gonna be a used car as soon as you leave the lot, right?

My money is a reflection of my labor. I put in 65-70 hrs a week dealing with all types on the highways.
I like getting my monies worth from whatever I buy.
This playfield...wether it's ok now or cracks open later, why risk it?

-Mike

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Some of you guys are killing me.
I would love to see your reaction if I tried to sell you a new car with a 4 inch crack in the rear window and pay the same price as the perfect car on the side of it.
No worries it's the rear window and you won't see it driving forward, right?
Maybe it will crack more with temperature change or vibration but hey it's gonna be a used car as soon as you leave the lot, right?
My money is a reflection of my labor. I put in 65-70 hrs a week dealing with all types on the highways.
I like getting my monies worth from whatever I buy.
This playfield...wether it's ok now or cracks open later, why risk it?
-Mike

You are right. I guess for some 5500 is nothing.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

You are right. I guess for some 5500 is nothing.

Black Knight Cracks of Rage.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Its only the top layer of ply. Its outside the artwork. Its filled with clear and smooth to the touch, right? I don't see the problem here.

does not look smooth to the touch to me, but I could be wrong. Looks like a crack.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

does not look smooth to the touch to me, but I could be wrong. Looks like a crack.

Yup its not lol It's certainly not filled with clear either

#56 4 years ago

I assumed that was covered with clear and smooth to the touch, which I think would be fine but if it's not I'd have a major problem with it. I hope you get a suitable resolution without too much hassle!

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

Yup its not lol It's certainly not filled with clear either

I got a bad MET playfield a few years ago. The artwork and clear was just falling off the playfield. It took some time, but Stern finally shipped out a fully populated playfield and I swapped it out. Then sold the game a couple months later. I would have taken a huge hit on value if Stern had not helped me out.

First I would go through Distro and see if you can get a new game and let him take care of getting the old game fixed. If that does not work then I would call Stern and get them to send you a populated playfield to swap. In the mean time, play the heck out of it.

This is where you get to see if your distro will be your distro in the future. LOL

#58 4 years ago

Anything new?

#59 4 years ago

Nada I emailed my distro to see if they had an update but nothing yet. Hopefully it will work out

#60 4 years ago

Black Knight Cracks of Rage.

More like: Black Knight: Rage of Cracks.

#61 4 years ago

I would play the game and wait patiently for the distributor/Stern to take care of you. If you get taken care of, you got to put a ton of plays on that game before given a brand new one.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I would play the game and wait patiently for the distributor/Stern to take care of you. If you get taken care of, you got to put a ton of plays on that game before given a brand new one.

When I got a new playfield for one of my sterns they didn’t want me to play the damaged one too much, I was like huh? Sure.

#63 4 years ago

Would a few drops of clear fill in that crack nicely?
Why not start there?
-mof

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Would a few drops of clear fill in that crack nicely?
Why not start there?
-mof

Not a few drops I think it would need to be several drops and several layers. Plus Idk they might not take it back if I mess with it.

#65 4 years ago

I guess be happy it is not this (yet)

69B76941-7EC0-4F1E-BD0A-F28863EDBC12 (resized).jpeg69B76941-7EC0-4F1E-BD0A-F28863EDBC12 (resized).jpegFA1F4A47-9A56-4DD5-A256-0AD9E7C0E846 (resized).jpegFA1F4A47-9A56-4DD5-A256-0AD9E7C0E846 (resized).jpeg
#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess be happy it is not this (yet)[quoted image][quoted image]

I have the same problem with my IMDN Pro, and Stern refused to do anything. I went back and forth between them and my distributor and jumped through all the hoops, but in the end it was decided by the powers that be that it was normal. What a bunch of BS.

#67 4 years ago

This is NOT normal Stern! This is a major issue!

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Whoa yeah glad I don't have any of that. Wtf. Is that the clear coat being pushed up by pressure from the post? Lol. What is the cure time on these 15 minutes good God. That shit doesn't seem normal to me.

#69 4 years ago

Whoa yeah glad I don't have any of that. Wtf. Is that the clear coat being pushed up by pressure from the post? Lol. What is the cure time on these 15 minutes good God. That shit doesn't seem normal to me.

Sadly it seems to be happening since maiden. See it on maiden, Beatles, and now bk3000. Started around 300 plays I would guess.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

I have the same problem with my IMDN Pro, and Stern refused to do anything. I went back and forth between them and my distributor and jumped through all the hoops, but in the end it was decided by the powers that be that it was normal. What a bunch of BS.

Those powers at be need to go directly to hell. That shit is not normal. Imagine buying a car with that issue and the dealer just saying oh yeah its normal we don't care. F that man.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sadly it seems to be happening since maiden. See it on maiden, Beatles, and now bk3000. Started around 300 plays I would guess.

Wait is that happening on yours?

#72 4 years ago

Imagine that pf on the line sans apron.....and no one said whoa, wtf.... it has to be pretty f’n obvious with no apron. If it’s not cleared over and solid I would absolutely reject it. At a minimum it needs to have clear injected into the opening, sanded, polished. Otherwise moisture will get in between the layers. Compound that with the ball rolling over it and cracking the existing clear.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Imagine that pf on the line sans apron.....and no one said whoa, wtf.... it has to be pretty f’n obvious with no apron. If it’s not cleared over and solid I would absolutely reject it. At a minimum it needs to have clear injected into the opening, sanded, polished. Otherwise moisture will get in between the layers. Compound that with the ball rolling over it and cracking the existing clear.

My thoughts exactly. I think they will fix it. But I better not have any of that clear coat rings shit. That shit is unacceptable.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My maiden pro had them everywhere.

#75 4 years ago

My maiden pro had them everywhere.

Did they replace it?

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Did they replace it?

I didn’t do anything about it. They did replace my AC/DC vault premium that had a crack in clear coat though.
I saw these bumps around all posts on my maiden and my friend said his had them so I figured it was maybe the new norm. I sold my maiden after three months because I couldn’t stand flight of Icarus.

#77 4 years ago

One of the blubs kept causing a node board to turn off my white lower gi. Had to test them one at a time to find which one was bad. Seems like pretty bad quality when a game has like 50 plays on it and the led just shorts out and the end user has to diagnose what's wrong. I know it's pinball but damn man. Never had that happen with comet leds. I wonder who stern uses. On the base of the bulb it says stern so I assume they make them. Oh well. It's fixed and good to know the node boards catch issues like that. Love this game hahaha
IMG_20190602_203934 (resized).jpgIMG_20190602_203934 (resized).jpg

#78 4 years ago

One of the blubs kept causing a node board to turn off my white lower gi. Had to test them one at a time to find which one was bad. Seems like pretty bad quality when a game has like 50 plays on it and the led just shorts out and the end user has to diagnose what's wrong. I know it's pinball but damn man. Never had that happen with comet leds. I wonder who stern uses. On the base of the bulb it says stern so I assume they make them. Oh well. It's fixed and good to know the node boards catch issues like that. Love this game hahaha
[quoted image]

I think before you buy another nib game you may want to inspect it out of box first before accepting it. This may be my new norm. You inspect and test drive a car first right? These games are big bucks for most unless you’re above middle class and have disposable cash.

#79 4 years ago

Those powers at be need to go directly to hell. That shit is not normal. Imagine buying a car with that issue and the dealer just saying oh yeah its normal we don't care. F that man.

The pinball community is being taken advantage of by these manufacturers. No doubt about that. The clear on a lot of new machines is just wrong and doesn’t meet the standard for clear on a PF. It really is unbelievable to me. No other industry I know of wouldn’t say this bad clear is a defect and cover it under warranty. The cover and excuses the majority of the community gives manufacturers here is remarkable. They are only guaranteeing that the clearcoat on future games will also have these same issues. I guess when all anyone wants to talk about is code it gives the pinball companies an opening to lower build quality and increase profit margins. I mean why not when the community as a whole doesn’t hold you accountable for flat out major defects. Crazy to me.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

The pinball community is being taken advantage of by these manufacturers. No doubt about that. The clear on a lot of new machines is just wrong and doesn’t meet the standard for clear on a PF. It really is unbelievable to me. No other industry I know of wouldn’t say this bad clear is a defect and cover it under warranty. The cover and excuses the majority of the community gives manufacturers here is remarkable. They are only guaranteeing that the clearcoat on future games will also have these same issues. I guess when all anyone wants to talk about is code it gives the pinball companies an opening to lower build quality and increase profit margins. I mean why not when the community as a whole doesn’t hold you accountable for flat out major defects. Crazy to me.

Agreed completely

#81 4 years ago
whitney_houston (resized).jpgwhitney_houston (resized).jpg
#82 4 years ago

On the base of the bulb it says stern so I assume they make them.

More likely their supplier rebrands them for Stern. It wouldn't make sense for Stern to set up an LED factory just to make their own bulbs.

#83 4 years ago

OP: Have you spoken to Stern about this directly? I would send photos to the support email and then call them to discuss.

[email protected]
800-KICKERS

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

OP: Have you spoken to Stern about this directly? I would send photos to the support email and then call them to discuss.
[email protected]
800-KICKERS

Your supposed to go through distributor first. Just saying that’s what I was told.

#85 4 years ago

Your supposed to go through distributor first. Just saying that’s what I was told.

I would give my distro a heads up on the issue and also contact Stern. I have had two playfields replaced this way.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I would give my distro a heads up on the issue and also contact Stern. I have had two playfields replaced this way.

Two? Jeesh.

#87 4 years ago

Same here. I'm going this route at the moment if it doesn't pan out then I'll contact them directly but my distro seems to be pretty confident they will fix it. I'm just playing the hell out of it in the mean time hahaha. Super fun game

2 weeks later
#88 4 years ago

Good news everyone Stern has agreed to replace my playfield.

#89 4 years ago

Just to clarify, are you getting a populated playfield to swap or a blank playfield?

#90 4 years ago

Good news everyone Stern has agreed to replace my playfield.

great to hear!

Quoted from twenty84:

Just to clarify, are you getting a populated playfield to swap or a blank playfield?

my question also

#91 4 years ago

It will be populated. Oddly I have to wait for them to finish the playfield then they ship me a box which I put my playfield in and once it gets to them then they will ship me a new one. Kind of annoying the game will be down for that long while waiting for the new pf to come back to me but meh it could be worse . The Stern rep was super nice he even said to keep playing it and enjoying the game while waiting.

He asked me if it was on route, or at home. It's at home, I wonder if they would have done things faster if it was on location.

Quoted from Whysnow:

great to hear!

my question also

#92 4 years ago

It will be populated. Oddly I have to wait for them to finish the playfield then they ship me a box which I put my playfield in and once it gets to them then they will ship me a new one. Kind of annoying the game will be down for that long while waiting for the new pf to come back to me but meh it could be worse . The Stern rep was super nice he even said to keep playing it and enjoying the game while waiting.
He asked me if it was on route, or at home. It's at home, I wonder if they would have done things faster if it was on location.

Sounds like a great outcome. Good for Stern. I would hope all the pin manufacturers would do the same.

#93 4 years ago

i have NEVER heard of that. In the past, they ship you a populated pf and you use the box it came in to ship your defective one back to them.

I wonder if they had issues with people not returning a pf?

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

i have NEVER heard of that. In the past, they ship you a populated pf and you use the box it came in to ship your defective one back to them.

They have been doing it this way for awhile (at least for home customers); it may be different for route machines but I wouldnt be suprised if they took your CC info to bill the replacement playfield if they dont get one back.

Either way, it's very good to see that Stern is starting to take quality control issues seriously.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Either way, it's very good to see that Stern is starting to take quality control issues seriously.

i think its wild that it took 25 days for them to offer to replace it //shrug

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Could be. My distributor told me that they are really holding back on replacing playfields, period, (like mine and the one that you pictured above with the same cc issues), because people are “abusing the system”.

I’m glad they at least took care of the OP on his issue, but it’s too bad that they don’t take care of everyone with crappy playfields.

#97 4 years ago

Congrats!

I went through this on a GB. Just make sure you have an extra set of hands to help take it out and put it back in. I believe my pin was down for about a month while I waited for the new one. Not too bad of a wait considering what you're getting.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

but it’s too bad that they don’t take care of everyone with crappy playfields

if they don't take care of their current customers then they will lose future sales.

With so many options on the table, then need to be consistent good communicators when these severe quality issues arise and take care of people immediately.

Small things are going to happen in pinball, but bubbling and cracking playfields is not acceptable.

#99 4 years ago

darcangeloel when your PF is out I'll give you all the super value credits when we play on location. I know a spot up near you.

#100 4 years ago

Glad they took care of you, but I expected it based on your specific situation. Yes, the standard practice is you ship your playfield back in the coffin they provide, then they ship the new one. Its usually same day turnaround.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 210.00
Lighting - Backbox
PinWoofer

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bksor-possible-playfield-issue-question/page/2?hl=extraballz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.