20210518_195141 (resized).jpg
98F41BC5-6229-4071-A152-943AE959E0C3 (resized).jpeg
57559956-733A-469C-8ED3-0F3D914324D9 (resized).jpeg
29D7F8F3-EB65-4BD9-82AB-0A8CA1833C2B (resized).jpeg
85E4E554-88ED-4C24-B1FE-89D5722663BA (resized).jpeg
screenshot.1069 (resized).jpg
DFBD2710-2440-48AD-865F-8C4C17EA8A7E (resized).jpeg
83C992E5-7A64-460B-BA9E-218A4A327DBB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scottyc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

First of all.. what is this mod? Well this video should be all you need to know.

BKSOR Flaming speaker mod DIY:
DugFreez has done all the ground work with his awesome speaklightkits! This DIY is based off of his Type-12 kit. Assume no warranty coverage when modifying one of his kits (picture the "I void warranties" slogan right now ). This was also not an original idea by me(wish I could take credit). I actually had no idea something like could be done until I saw it posted on Facebook and YouTube. thanx PersonX99

This is something I've done on my own and wanted to share with the community. All support or questions should be addressed here in this post.

Parts needed:

1x: Speakerlightskit.com Spike 2 Type-12 kit
    - http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Type-12.html
    2x: 5VDC 144/m LED WS2812b LED strip (I tried the 60/m, 100/m, 144/m but the 144s are king IMO)
    1x: Arduino Nano (w/ USB cable if you do not have one)
    1x: 200 to 500 Ohm resistor
    Some spare small wire

Optional things but may make things a bit easier.
    -Barrel power connectors (Type-12 kit comes with a barrel connector on the LED controller that you can use)
    -Couple extra JST SM 3 Pin Connectors for WS2812B (if you did not get a type-12 kit)

If you did not opt for the type 12 kit or are going to customize programming in a manner that will increase amperage you'll need to utilize your own power supply.
(Type 12 kit comes with a 6a power supply which is plenty to power the flame effect, but if you customize the programming your setup may require more)

- Reccomended 5VDC 10amp.. e.g. YU0510
    - MOLEX 19-09-1029 (this hooks up to US stern spike 2 pinball machines.)
    - 2x MOLEX .093" female pins
    - If international version you'll need some spade crimp piggyback connectors for the power hookup (or another method of your choosing)

It takes 98 LEDs to go all the way around a single speaker frame (49 on each side). I only utilized 39 on each side in the programming (totaling 78 per speaker frame).

Wiring the Arduino and LED Strips(aka the fun part ):
I've put a notated gallery here for the entire process, to hopefully make this a part a bit easier.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/u9yzrVKP4v7eGjSo6

Program your Arduino Nano:
Beginner tutorial here:

You will need to install the FastLED 3.3 Library (this video below has 3 different methods on how to install a library):
https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED

This example in that library used as the code base for this DIY:
https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED/blob/master/examples/Fire2012WithPalette/Fire2012WithPalette.ino

There are many parameters in this program that you can tweak, but this is what I've landed on at the moment(still toying around as always).. Play around to your hearts content to figure out what you like.

#define CHIPSET WS2812
    #define NUM_LEDS 39
    #define BRIGHTNESS 200
    #define FRAMES_PER_SECOND 40
    //gPal = HeatColors_p;
    gPal = CRGBPalette16( CRGB::Black, CRGB::Red, CRGB::Orange);
    #define COOLING 55
    #define SPARKING 100

Any questions feel free to ask. I'll help if I can.

UPDATE:
Fubar has done his magic and has taken this to the next level.
-Mode aware color switching
-The 4 individual flames (which look a lot more realistic)
-Simplified LED strip installation
-More of a factory integrated feel (turns on when the game is initialized, and not just when power is applied)

More details at these links below.
https://vimeo.com/565235614
https://github.com/FUB4R/bk3fsl

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

What about adding another bit of LED at the bottom to get that 'burning embers' look?

Yep. There are LEDs there as well.. only section not lit up are the LEDs at the top. couple vids in the google album show em pretty good.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I like the look. It seems all four LED strips are run by the same Arduino channel. I think it would look more realistic and add randomness to the flames if you had four separate channels it slightly different Frane rate, color palette, etc.
Will a single Arduino Nano run for separate LED channels/scripts?

hmmm.. I agree with ya and like where your head is at, but not sure how you could manage that with a single arduino. But... I'm no coding expert by any means as I'm just utilizing the example code, but I would assume it may be possible.

I was looking into pallet changes based on mode utilizing a RGB color sensor (during Deep Freeze the fire effect would be a blue pallet for example), but there's not just one decent LED indication for each mode.. Still trying to wrap my head around how to do that though.

6 months later
#17 2 years ago

Hey Jason_Jehosaphat

Those all look like correct components. Barrel connector may not be needed if you want to just cut the one off the type-12 kit and reuse it like I did.

If you only do 3 sides of the each speaker(skipping the top) you'll only need 78 LEDs per speaker and could possibly get by with only 1 1M strip if you wanted to skip 3 LEDs on each side of the speaker (making it a total of 72 per speaker). For me I opted for 2 1M strips so that I could maximize the entire sides of the speaker

1 week later
#29 2 years ago

Jason_Jehosaphat Looks like your getting this figured out

One thing though.. where the two strips 'join' each other only the data connection should be bridged. The +/- and -/+ connections should not be.

screenshot.1069 (resized).jpgscreenshot.1069 (resized).jpg
#32 2 years ago

in the example code: https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED/blob/master/examples/Fire2012WithPalette/Fire2012WithPalette.ino
This line at the very beginning ( #include <FastLED.h> ) calls the library you want to include in your program.

After you've added that library to the IDE software, it is as simple as copy n pasting that .ino referenced above into the IDE window and uploading. Be sure to adjust the code to your setup , and tweak as desired. E.G. number of LEDs, FPS, cooling, brightness...etc.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I used my multimeter to check continuity across power, ground, and data at all my soldering, back to the connector, and it is sound.
Is the left side not getting data or power?

Well being as you are feeding power from the left strip in the pic I think it'd have to be the data line. Try to heat up that data solder joint a bit.

EDIT: took a closer look at your second pic.. looks like the first LED of that strip is lit, and then nothing after that... might be a bridge between the jumper and the data out leg of the LED on that connection (green arrow points to the DOUT pin of the LED)...
screenshot.1085 (resized).jpgscreenshot.1085 (resized).jpg

screenshot.1087 (resized).jpgscreenshot.1087 (resized).jpg
#57 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

hadn't noticed that one bulb on the left side working. As for your edit comment....I'm not sure what you are describing, but might it be this solder connection? It looks like the solder might have run into one of the legs of that SMD.

Yep you got it Doug I added a pic to my edited post as well (after the 3rd/4th edit I finally got it right.. hahaha)

1 month later
#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Fubar:

Flames now change colour for each monster
https://vimeo.com/565235614

Absolutely amazing!!!!

3 weeks later
#75 2 years ago

Wanted to give a HUGE thanks to Fubar for his coding and knowledge to take this to the next level!! (not to mention dealing with all the pestering from myself ).

-Mode aware color switching is just, just WOW!!!
-The 4 individual flames look a lot more realistic
-Simplified LED strip installation
-More of a factory integrated feel (turns on when the game is initialized, and not just when power is applied)

Still playing with palette colors, but this is where I am at this moment (sorry for the horrible video )
(FYI there are some spoilers in here as it shows all the modes of the game and speaker light interactions)

1 month later
#76 2 years ago

Jurassic Park Double Deluxe Mode Aware speaker lights (type12 and type13 combo)

Well after having what seemed to be a very intimate relationship learning FASTLED (really just scratching the surface), I finally have finished mode aware speaker lights for Jurassic Park. I wanted something other than just color changes on this one so ended up creating different effects for most modes (some are repetitive, as there's just so many modes in JP, lol) As always still tweaking colors and effects to my liking, but this is what I have at the moment. Just wanted to share

Here's the arduino code: https://pastebin.com/raw/rvLKsB16
Some Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rFVkcC76RVK2omBk7

And a couple vids, cause who doesn't love a video (Sample of the modes in JP, Man its hard to video LEDs to capture their true colors, but it is what it is)

And my favorite mode: Invalid Frenzy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 16.00
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scottyc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bksor-flaming-speaker-mod-diy?tu=scottyc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.