20210518_195141 (resized).jpg
98F41BC5-6229-4071-A152-943AE959E0C3 (resized).jpeg
57559956-733A-469C-8ED3-0F3D914324D9 (resized).jpeg
29D7F8F3-EB65-4BD9-82AB-0A8CA1833C2B (resized).jpeg
85E4E554-88ED-4C24-B1FE-89D5722663BA (resized).jpeg
screenshot.1069 (resized).jpg
DFBD2710-2440-48AD-865F-8C4C17EA8A7E (resized).jpeg
83C992E5-7A64-460B-BA9E-218A4A327DBB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

What’s your bracket made of? Metal? Maybe strip is shorting against the bracket somewhere? Break out your meter and find the wire causing the short. Put the strip back in the bracket, power off and test for continuity across the different solder points. Your pics aren’t great for diagnosing, but maybe when the strip is being moved, it’s shorting where your solder joints are.

Good thinking.

Looks to be some bare metal right ahead of where he pulled the strip.

Something I've never thought about, but worth noting to avoid ever putting a strip (EDIT: of the lesser sort that I personally have on hand) on metal (contacts are indeed potentially exposed at the bottom of the strips I use).

**EDIT**: I see now my words here were too vague. I didn't mean to suggest that there should generally be concern with putting LED strips on metal (especially if a known product is intended for it). That was a rambling stream of consciousness in regard to the strips I personally have on hand, and how I interpreted the quoted post at a glance.

*****The products sold by DugFreez/Speaker Light Kits DO NOT have any such issue*****

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Let's see about shutting this down right now. LED light strips, if not tampered with and sanded on...do NOT conduct electricity on the back of them. None that I have ever bought do anyway. Maybe the low budget ones have an issue with that, but I've never seen it. The material of choice for LED light strips to be stuck to is metal (usually aluminum) light channels. This is not only safe...it is preferred as the metal works as a heat sink. Dispersing the small amount of heat they do put off and extending the life of the LED light strips.
I'm a bit touchy here as I have had "competitors" lie to try to ruin my businesses by making up tales about metal being a bad idea and dangerous with the LED light strips. Of course they also tried to trademark the name "Speaker Light Kits" years after I designed the product and had my website opened. That just shows what a class act those guys are. 1000s of my Speaker Light Kits have been sold since 2012 with the vast majority of them using metal frames. Besides a few stray shorts early on from the cut off connection areas of the strips coming in contact with the metal frames and blowing a couple of fuses.....it's been a non-issue. Now those connection ends are protected and checked.
Also....the metal frames I use on my SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits (which are being used here) are coated steel (not aluminum) and do not have any continuity to them unless you go digging a probe in them or scraping the edges or holes of the frames looking for a connection. The bare metal spot you are seeing in the picture is not a bare metal spot and I was wondering what it was myself. It looks like he may have stuck a piece of tape there or something. Now that I look at it....I'm pretty sure he put some tape there so he could make a visible mark to designate the bottom middle of the frame.
Sorry to be defensive about this, but I'm not looking forward to the "It's dangerous to stick LED light strips to metal " lie to recirculate again. Do a google search for "LED light strip channel" and you will see most of them are made of metal.
Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

Whoa, hopefully this isn't actually directed at me...multiple insinuations of lying (responding to my post), while I merely responded to Lermods after looking at the strips I use (pictured below). [[EDIT: This was cleared up in the following posts, and I did indeed jump the gun on posting a vague/inaccurate statement]]

I'm no expert, and it sounded plausible (I confirmed nothing that he suggested).

I imagine the adhesive lining "may" be enough insulation (but I've had that fail before). Just noting that it was worth thinking about, but I doubt it would ever arise as I mostly use 3D printed parts.

If I were to assert anything false, it would be due to ignorance, not intentional lying.

I have absolutely no reason to want anything aside from the best for your business.

20210518_195141 (resized).jpg20210518_195141 (resized).jpg

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Yes, it was directed at you...that is why I quoted you. You are the one that said:

and that is what I was wanting to respond to....so I did.
Don't misunderstand and think I was referring to you when I mentioned "my competition" that were telling people that using the metal frames were bad with the LED strip lights. They were doing that with intent to slander and sway people away from my product and toward their shoddy knock offs. I didn't think you had any ill intent with what you said...I just wanted to put a quick stop to it, as it's false. As I said, a google search will easily show the safety and advantages that using a metal backing for LED light strips has.
So no beef assumed from you and no beef intended with you. I just wanted to get the facts out there before any disinformation could take hold.

I did question if the "competition" was referring to me. I've been buried in orders without a break since Oct. 2019, and that could only promote hope that everyone making mods is doing just as well (one of the first mods I ever bought in this hobby was from you--the RGB controller for my TWD before it was colored).

I believe I may have misunderstood what Lermods was suggesting, but what you quoted was what I thought was relevant in response to it (in regard to DIY--I would never expect a product from you to have an issue)

Sorry for any confusion or potential misinformation.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Well sorry about that...I was trying to address what you said about "worth noting to avoid ever putting a strip on metal", as nearly my entire business is putting and selling strips on metal.
I would hazard to guess if someone made a claim about how using 3D printed goods in a game should not be done and people should make note of that....you might speak up. That's pretty much where I stand on this. You mistakenly made a statement that could clearly hurt my business. One that others have said in the past for the sole purpose of hurting my business. So I wanted to clarify that what you said was incorrect.
I didn't think you were saying it with ill intent and I didn't mean to come off as accusatory. I just didn't want that, potentially business hurting statement, out there...without clarifying it and pointing out that using the LED light strip on metal is not a bad idea or an issue.

Understood. I now see how that is a significant concern. I've added a note to that original post of mine to avoid any confusion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hollywood, FL
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bksor-flaming-speaker-mod-diy?tu=Medisinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.