7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bdPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I got this Black Knight 2000 and the pop bumpers rarely popped, and when they did they were very weak. I saw they had a diode installed on one of the caps, but it was cut. The other two had none. I looked at my PinBot, and I swear I saw diodes on those, I think the band pointed toward the common wire. Anyway, I put Diodes on them, and they pop consistently but are very weak.

I was searching the 'net to find different reasons why the pop bumpers might be weak, but even after reading several posts and glancing through the manual I can't seem to get a straight answer.

Do BK2K pop bumpers require a Cap somehow instead of a Diode? Aren't these controlled Solenoids?

Thanks.

-Brian

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Basically, any solenoid is going to have a diode on it - not always across the terminals, sometimes located elsewhere in the game. The diode is to protect other electronics from back current created when the coil shuts off and its magnetic field collapses. They are classified as special solenoids. http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html see "The Six Special Solenoids"
Since the three pop bumpers are all sharing 25VDC special solenoid power, I would check that first. Power comes from Aux power driver connector 5J11 pin 11

So that post I read about the capacitors was not correct? I know they have capacitors on flippers sometimes to - well, I was under the impression it was for the reason you stated, to protect the rest of the game from higer voltage.

Thanks for the direction to look- Oh, after I installed the diodes (I really thought that was the right thing to do!) I noticed the were still sometimes intermittent. I was watching the bottom side of the upper playfield (which has it's own issues with it's hinges) I was watching and as I activated the pop bumpers I saw small sparks from one of the lugs on the fuse holder! Seems the spade connector had come loose - as these connections will do over time, so I squished the little spade connector slightly to tighten it up, so they at least had continuity there. With the way this game has been "Rode hard and put away wet," I wouldn't be suprised if that connection was flaky further up the line.

When I was doing some work on the drop target opto boards, I noticed they had used tie wraps to hold the molex connector together because the connector was so warn out that it would just fall off the pins. The grommets had also disintegrated so the tie wraps served a dual purpose - Holding the board in place AND holding the molex connector on. Hey, this is fixable! I've seen SO many instances in EM games where they just chop out the entire device to fix problems like that! Maybe I should start a topic "Worst Hack / Fix to a game" Maybe the bolt in place of a fuse was my favorite.

Thanks for your help!

-Brian

#5 7 years ago

Thought I would close this topic out - as some have suggested in the past that I should do-

It turned out to be poor solder connections to the pop bumpers. I had an idea that it wasn't the board, because two of the three pop bumpers seem to act okay- Not GREAT* but okay. At least they have the power to pop the ball back and forth. This game seems to have a lot of solder issues like that. After I got done with the pop bumpers, I realized that the upper right flipper had a sort of intermittent weakish sort of feel to it, and upon examination, the glob of solder seems never to have properly adhereed to the lug. The wire was through the hole, and there was a glob on the end of the wire, but the wire was loose in the hole - if you get my meaning. I can see for sure how this could cause a weak-intermittent contact.

I noticed the pop bumpers on my Mousin Around seem to be sort of weak as well- That is not as strong as say on my Future Spa, which the pop bumpers are so strong it seems like they're going to sheer each other off!! or even my Black Knight I which are significantly stronger than the BK2k and MA..- Are these games of this era just made with a little less powerful pop bumpers - maybe to limit playfield plastic damage?

Thanks!

-Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2k-pop-bumpers-weak?tu=bdPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.