You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-05-03_14-53-12_813.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Which would you choose? And why?

#2 9 years ago

Both are great (I have both currently) for very different reasons.

Neither are leaving my collection. I think this really depends on personal taste, how your collection is used (noobs LOVE RFM), and what other games make up your collection.

#3 9 years ago

I just can't figure out which I want. My RFM is already presold, so I won't have it around after I get it working. It seems to be fairly simplistic, but I really dig the tech in it. BK2K just seems like a brutal quick game....

#4 9 years ago

I have both as well. RFM is a deeper game and has more to it. BK2k is a awesome game but it can pretty much be played with one hand.

#5 9 years ago

BK2K is generally disliked by my guests and marginal players. I like to play it on occasion, but I would happily trade mine for something different.

The problem is that both playfields (upper and lower) are so short/tight you don't have much or anytime to react to the balls movements. So unless you know where the ball is going to go and return to before you hit the flipper button the game is already lost. A player often does not have the time to react to the balls movement to regain control if they are wildly flipping or have a bad shot. Additionally, even "good" shots on the horseshoe on the lower playfield and loop on the upper playfield send the ball back so quickly that you need to be reacting before you even see the ball coming.

The standard when I watch people play who are novices is they will flip the ball and it will come back so fast that it just rolls off the flipper and drains or hits the flipper while it is down and bounce passes into the slings where it is often lost to the outlanes.

#6 9 years ago

RFM is awesome and revolutionary. No contest. RFM is well loved by guests that dont' really get into pinball as well.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from jakebondar:

BK2k is a awesome game but it can pretty much be played with one hand.

I think you are missing out on the beauty of BK2K if you really think it is only a right flipper game. You also need to make slings sensitive on BK2K to see the beauty of it.

#9 9 years ago

It is not possible to choose between these two.
No collection is complete without them......
My collection is incomplete

#11 9 years ago

Very neat to see the two sides. Rarely see the positives in debates like this.
I expected people to say how RFM is a one shot wonder and BK2K can be played with one hand tied behind your back...

#12 9 years ago

I own BK2K but have never played RFM except for on a simulator. The U-Turn in your face can be tough for a new player but you sure can't beat the attitude of BK2K.

BK2K does seem like a one shot game, but it's 1 shot to another flipper to another shot(s). If you take it off it's default settings it can be a very fun an challenging game, especially if you need to drop the drawbridge for each lock and have to earn your defenses (magnasave and kickback). Try it on the Hard or Very Hard setting sometime, it's a bit of a different game.

Tough choice you got there. I watched the Papa.tv coverage of SFGE and FRM looks like a pretty fun game.

#13 9 years ago

RFM for me...never been a big fan of the BK series.

#14 9 years ago

I have both.

If I had to choose, BK2K would stay.

I am glad I don't have to choose.

Chris

#15 9 years ago

I'm not overly fond of either. For RFM, I simply don't like the screen taking center stage--I want to play pinball, not a video game. For BK2K, it's a tight table that can drain mighty quickly. Although, I did see a fully shopped BK2K not too long ago with LEDs that looked absolutely phenomenal.

2014-05-03_14-53-12_813.jpg2014-05-03_14-53-12_813.jpg

Unfortunately, the photo didn't quite do it justice--the glass reflection kind of got in the way.

#16 9 years ago

Bk2k is a beautifal pin if it has been high end restored! Much nicer than RFM!

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm not overly fond of either. For RFM, I simply don't like the screen taking center stage--I want to play pinball, not a video game. For BK2K, it's a tight table that can drain mighty quickly. Although, I did see a fully shopped BK2K with LEDs that looked absolutely phenomenal.

Unfortunately, the photo didn't quite do it justice--the glass reflection kind of got in the way.

2014-05-03_14-53-12_813.jpg 306 KB

That is RedEyes' machine. It was phenomenal.

Chris

#18 9 years ago

Does BK2K deal with LEDs well?

I have a HUO example and have throught about converting to LEDs...

#19 9 years ago

Next question...what do you see as good prices for both?

I really dig RFM, but the back of my mind worries about if the CPU barfs or the power driver board goes.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Does BK2K deal with LEDs well?
I have a HUO example and have throught about converting to LEDs...

I have LED's in the playfield and backglass and have not had any issue other than some mild ghosting but that won't be an issue with the newer bulbs. I have not tried using the LED flashers yet.

#21 9 years ago

I still have my BK2K for sale ..

#22 9 years ago

I had George Gomez comment that I should get RFM when I posted a similar question on FB

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I had George Gomez comment that I should get RFM when I posted a similar question on FB

Well it that case, BK2K is the clear winner!

#24 9 years ago

Here's the thing.....

If you are looking for a fast, nonstop, in your face pinball game with great (subject to opinion) music, light show, and adrenaline pumping action, then I think BK2K is your game in this comparison. People say it's a "right handed" game and that the only action is on the upper playfield, but I don't get that at all. There's plenty to do on the lower playfield. I think it has, hand down, one of the best integrated sound packages, regardless whether you like it or not.

If you want something a little more lighthearted, more stop and go, and 10 years newer, then RFM is the clear choice here. People say it's smaller than a "regular" pinball machine, but that is incorrect. It FEELS smaller because you can't see much of the back of the machine. The video effects integrate very well on RFM though.

The games are vastly different, as I think you can determine from the responses you got here and on Facebook.

I find both fun, and have both in my basement. What concerns me is that you will probably sell whichever you get in a month or 2 without giving it the time it deserves. That is not a dig on you at all, I just think that some games don't get the play they deserve before people pass judgement on them. Both are great machines, and both would fill a spot in your collection nicely

I don't think you can lose no matter which you pick.

Chris

#25 9 years ago

Chris is spot on. You really can't lose no matter what.

However, you can win twice over by just getting both!!! Look around and you will see many people have both. That should tell you something as they are both so different from each other they compliment each other very nicely in a collection.

I am nbot sure if you have other options, but looking at your collection, I would personally get rid of CV and find a BK2K plus something else (since you will have plenty of cash left over after selling CV). JMHO.

After CV I would cut Whitewater (either would be cut before Bk2K or RFM).

#26 9 years ago

Chris isn't wrong by any means..
CV I'm going to hang onto, at least for a while. I enjoy it quite a bit. Actually more than MM.
I'm very very close to finally picking up an AC/DC Premium which has been on my list for a while. Not sure if I will love it, but I need to own one and get it out of my system.

I can get both, but I would need to cut my IMVE.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Sounds like a good option to me.

You have a few new games already. IM is fun but not much variety in the line up of what you already have.

Also sounds like IMVE will be available for a bit/ more IMVE runs after this initial one based on demand. You could always grab a Bk2K and have your RFM all fixed up, play them for 6 months after being tuned in and make a good decision based on what you really like at that point???

#29 9 years ago

Thinking about it...I had IM and sold it. Too brutal for me at the time.
My current RFM I picked up as a project, but I wound up taking an offer on it, so it's presold.
If I get rid of IMVE...yeah, I can get another RFM, BK2K, AC/DC...and likely still have some cash left over.

#30 9 years ago

I am sure the buyer of your current RFM would be wiling towork something out and hit the pause button on purchase??? Maybe give you a little time to evaluate it better.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I wound up taking an offer on it, so it's presold.

will your buyer be pissed if you keep it? I would just move it out, if i were you. I don't, however, know if i'd kick it out for bk2k. This is coming from someone who is most likely buying a bk2k soon, so keep that in mind.

In all seriousness, though, this is something only you know the answer to.

#32 9 years ago

OK...so I may need to pick up this local bk2k... AND I have a little bit to work with my RFM.

#33 9 years ago

If you want a CQ BK2K shoot me a PM..

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I really dig RFM, but the back of my mind worries about if the CPU barfs or the power driver board goes.

This is not really a concern. Borygard (Rob Anthony) is a one man pin2k repair expert and all round good guy.

2 weeks later
#35 9 years ago

So what did you decide?

#36 9 years ago

These two pins are on my shortlist, so get'em both if you can. Get BK2K because it's a classic 80's system 11 game with great audio and RFM because it's a blast to play and the most unique game around.

#37 9 years ago

For now...neither

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
7,500 (OBO)
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2k-or-rfm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.