(Topic ID: 134405)

BK2K - Music Not Working, Suggestions?

By AndHart120

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I recently bought a BK2K which was having issues with the top display. After further inspection battery leakage was found on the pins for U41 and U42. After doing some cleaning up with vinegar, the display worked normally but the music stopped working.

The board was taken out and cleaned more thoroughly as there was still quite a bit of build up on the pins closest to the battery holder. We also took the battery holder off, cleaned and replaced with a remote holder. Using the schematics we tested the pins on both of these chips that were in the path of the leakage and found two broken lines and repaired them (Pin 18 on U41 to SRC1 Pin 2 and Pin 17 on U42 to SRC3 Pin 9). After plugging the MPU back in and staring up the machine it started as normal with the display working fine. However, there is still no music. I also noticed that it seemed like the sounds didn’t match up the way they were supposed to (wrong sound effect when hitting the pop bumpers etc). I tried pressing the test button on the MPU (SW1) to see if that revealed anything but instead of hearing tones I heard the “Ahhhhh” Chorus sound effect going off over and over. Any ideas what to try next? Maybe go back and check all pins on the two chips? I did have music and sound that was correct before cleaning the board, so I don’t think its going to be the roms.

#2 8 years ago

IMO, if you're getting the wrong sounds there is the possibility that one or more of the data or address lines is fouled. This could even be internal to an IC or component that was exposed to corrosion. I think what you need is to use a test ROM to check @ the PIAs and then verify the data is getting over to the sound board.

#3 8 years ago

You have bad traces going from the PIA to the sound call header. Every bit of info goes across those tiny traces to the sound board. Battery acid is the worst enemy of pinball boards and is very difficult to neutralize it correctly.
No matter how much leaked the treatment is the same...

You must remove ALL affected components and sand the traces clean and re-tin/mask the traces after pinchecking to make sure they still make connection.
They can look good to the naked eye but under a magnifying glass you can see cracks gaps and voids. These issues must be addressed and new components installed with high quality socket strips.
it is repairable but it takes a LONG time to do it right.
A new board is an option but is quite spendy.
Good luck! If you have the time, components are cheap these are quite repairable unless its that bad.
Maybe post a picture of the acid damage.....

#4 8 years ago

Yeah I think we are going to check the traces for all pins on U41 and U42. More than likely we missed at least one other since we didn't check all of them. Seeing as though the sound did work before cleaning off the corrosion, I'd think the corrosion itself was keeping these traces working.

#5 8 years ago

Yup . guaranteed there is a bad trace or bad solder. Those PIA chips actually need to be removed/tossed and replaced after the board cleaned and traces fixed underneath them. And yes sometimes the corrosion will bridge the gaps . But better to find and fix now before it gets worse as it is like rust...it never sleeps and must be completely removed or it will keep eating everything. Good luck.Hope it all works out for you.

Should have been remote battery boxes from the factory. So many boards could have been saved!

#6 8 years ago

Game is back up and running! There were 4 bad traces going to the U41 and U42 chips, and one other that was real close to being broken. Repaired all 5 via very thin wires on the underside of the MPU board. Hopefully we neutralized all the corrosion so it doesn't happen again. If so at least we know where to look and test!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2k-music-not-working-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.