Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bk2kpin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've discovered that the magnasave coil is no longer energizing. The voltage on both wires at the connector going in to coil are 6v. I've checked the fuses and looked at some of the past threads, but in those threads there was no power to the coil. I've done the basic checks on Q14 (without removing it) and these tests seem good. I've found the setup board on the underside of the playfield and it passes the 6v as mentioned above. I could really the help of someone who is familiar with this problem. I've been at it for a few weeks and am at wits end. I can't seem to determine if the circuit uses a relay. Also, how does the firing mechanism work? If there is already 6v at the coil, then does firing the circuit cause the voltage to jump? If so, what voltage should it be jumping to? Please forgive the basic questions as I am doing the best to learn how to help myself.

#2 10 years ago

There is always voltage at the coils. The transistor provides a path to ground when the circuit is energized (so ground is switched, rather than hot).

On the side of the coil going to the transistor you should see the voltage drop to close to zero when it is turned on.

Go into switch edge test and make sure the MagnaSave switch is working.

Make sure there is connectivity from the coil to the driver (Q14).

#3 10 years ago

Terry,
Thank you for the explanation about the voltage drop upon activation. This clears it up some. When I hit the MagnaSave button I hear the affects and see the notification on the scoreboard, so I know it's triggering. This means I can skip the edge test, right? Also, if I see 6V on both sides of the transistor and neither goes to zero when the circuit is turned on, does that imply that the transistor is bad?

#4 10 years ago

It would imply the circuit is bad if there is connectivity from the coil to the driver transistor.

#5 10 years ago

Not sure about BK2K, but I had a similar magnasave issue with a Grand Lizard. The magnets need to be grounded. There's a red and white wire that needs to be bolted with the ground braid, look for something like that.

#6 10 years ago

Magna save passes the edge test. The Solenoid table lists Q14 as the magna save driver, however, the "High Current Driver Board", Magna Save Circuit on page 65 of the manual has another transistor Q1 which has one side of the transistor going to the coil like you said. This is the board on the underside of the playfield that I mentioned in my OP. So I put the meter on that side of the transistor and fired the circuit and it remains at 6volts (or 6.5 from what I remember). Did I perform the test on the correct transistor (since it's closer) to the coil or should I also perform it on Q14 which is on the CPU board?

#7 10 years ago

Without looking at the schematics, that sounds like the correct approach. Next check the input to Q1 or the output of Q14 in the same way (both should be electrically common).

Have you tested Q1 with a DMM in diode/continuity?

#8 10 years ago

I probably won't have time to test it tonight. I hope to test the next few days and report back. Thanks.

#9 10 years ago

Meant to mention earlier, but forgot. I could be wrong, but the 6 volts at the magnet seems low to me. In any case, you should see it go to 0 when the coil is energized.

#10 10 years ago

you should have 70v on the under play-field molex when the magnet is "energized"
the center pin of the molex should show 70v to ground all the time
no positive voltage you have a fuse or a wire or molex on backbox that is damaged.

unlike sys7 games there is no "grounding" on the magnets

you can check Q14 tab short to ground, or power off ohm test from the non center pin on the molex to the tab.. should be 0 ohm or darn close. anything else you have a wire/plug problem for ground. or a dead transistor.

#11 10 years ago

I've discovered that the voltage is in fact, 70v and not 6. I made two mistakes. Mistake 1 was that I thought it was AC voltage but discovered it's DC. Also, I thought you could ground the meter to the silver PSU inside the cabinet. Only after using the grounding strap in the backbox was I able to determine that the voltage was DC. There was 70v on the outer pins of the molex at all times and 0v on the middle pin at all times (regardless of energizing). Going off of that, I discovered some bad traces on the interconnect board and hope to deal with that in the next week or two. I will report back. Thank you both!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
$ 39.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2k-magna-save-not-energizing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.