Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by NextoPin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So there are, as far as I know, 2 ways to get Jackpot in BK2K. Jackpot will light during the standard 3 ball multi and during RANSOM(everything is lit). Sometimes when I get the 3 ball multi jackpot doesn't light. Doesn't seem to matter which ball I am on. Happens sometimes on my first multi ball. I am running the L4 ROM. Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Weird I haven't notice that
Since you asked I too have a question
During 3 ball mb I've seen the screen say jackpot 4mil and I'll hit it and only get a fraction of the points
Anyone know why?

#3 9 years ago

I don't know. I've never noticed that.

2 months later
#4 9 years ago

I've had this happen to me a few more times since starting this thread. I've been trying to get it on video so I can try to figure it out but it never seems to happen when I'm recording.

I thought that maybe you had to reach the upper playfield during multi, but I've tested that and jackpot comes on instantly once it releases the balls.

I've had it happen to me twice in one game. It's strange, it's almost like the game isn't in normal multi-ball, it's alot like "Last Chance". There is something different with the way it was acting, I can't place it, but I've played it enough to know something wasn't the same, like music cue's, lighting or something. It's like I was in a single ball mode with 3 balls.

I thought maybe something was corrupt but the next game it seems to work normally.

I checked the diag's, I don't have any switch issues that I'm aware of.

I'm running L-4 ROM.

#5 9 years ago

I've seen similar behavior on a machine with a completely missing third lock switch. The three balls get kicked out, but it's not actually in multiball and the jackpots aren't available. My guess is that one or more of the three lock switches on your machine is being flaky or the ball isn't triggering the switch properly. Mark Phaedrus' 1993 rulesheet for the game (link on ipdb) even notes that you might have to nudge the machine to get the switches to register.

#6 9 years ago

That may be it, but the diag isn't showing the switch not working.

How would the game know to start multiball if it thinks only 2 balls are locked? When you say 3rd lock switch, would that be the one closest to the solenoid? I guess that would make sense as the middle and farthest switch would register and tell the game the lock was full even if the other switch wasn't working?

I already have the game apart doing a flipper upgrade so I'll have to poke around.

Thanks for the reply.

#7 9 years ago

The switch I was referring to was the switch furthest from the solenoid- the location where the third ball would be locked immediately before starting multiball. On that machine it was missing entirely and the no-jackpot multiball was 100% consistent and repeatable. My impression was that the logic to kick the balls out of the lock != logic to start multiball, not sure why. It didn't appear to be a ball search fallback.

As for how it knows to kick the balls out, I'm not sure. I don't own the machine and I've not worked on one. I believe there is another switch on the ramp itself that might also serve as the signal to kick out, so you might want to check that. Instead of triggering the switches by hand during test, I'd suggest rolling the balls up the ramp into the lock to see if they register reliably once they settle in place.

#8 9 years ago

Mine does this sometimes.
I get the 3 ball multiball, it goes through the buildup, and when the 3 balls kick out it is as if the game gets confused, and thinks that Multiball never started. It just stops. The game plays normally, but no multiball scenario at all.

Does that make sense? Sounds like your issue as well from what IU am reading. No ideas why though. Mine also fires the kickback coil when you use the Magnasave, and keeps the kickback energized until the magna save is over.

Chris

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Mine does this sometimes.
I get the 3 ball multiball, it goes through the buildup, and when the 3 balls kick out it is as if the game gets confused, and thinks that Multiball never started. It just stops. The game plays normally, but no multiball scenario at all.
Does that make sense? Sounds like your issue as well from what IU am reading. No ideas why though. Mine also fires the kickback coil when you use the Magnasave, and keeps the kickback energized until the magna save is over.
Chris

This is exactly what mine is doing, sounds like we both have the same problem. I'm not sure why your kickback fires with magna-save. Does it do it when kickback is not lit?

#10 9 years ago

Yes, the kickback fires whenever the Magna Savve is energized, whether lit or not. Sometimes when it is lit the ball just goes right past the switch without it kicking, LOL.

Chris

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Law:

The switch I was referring to was the switch furthest from the solenoid- the location where the third ball would be locked immediately before starting multiball. On that machine it was missing entirely and the no-jackpot multiball was 100% consistent and repeatable. My impression was that the logic to kick the balls out of the lock != logic to start multiball, not sure why. It didn't appear to be a ball search fallback.
As for how it knows to kick the balls out, I'm not sure. I don't own the machine and I've not worked on one. I believe there is another switch on the ramp itself that might also serve as the signal to kick out, so you might want to check that. Instead of triggering the switches by hand during test, I'd suggest rolling the balls up the ramp into the lock to see if they register reliably once they settle in place.

There is a switch in the wireform before it enters the lock. I guess it figures if there is 2 in the lock and the ramp switch gets triggered then there must be 3 balls in there because the game only holds 3 balls, maybe it checks the state of the troth switch? Like Chris says, it goes through the whole 'Prepare for Battle' song and dance like it's starting a normal multiball, but when the balls eject, it just returns to single ball play, it may even put the drawbridge back up, I don't recall.

Glad to know it's not a software bug, I can fix the switches.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Yes, the kickback fires whenever the Magna Savve is energized, whether lit or not. Sometimes when it is lit the ball just goes right past the switch without it kicking, LOL.
Chris

I wonder if it's working the other way too, if the magnet energizes when the kickback fires. It would be hard to know without hooking up a meter, not something you would likely run into during a multi-ball.

Sounds like you may have a short somewhere or a problem with the driver board? Does it do it in the diags when you test the magnet?

1 month later
#13 9 years ago

I had this problem occasionally, but I fixed the topmost lock switch and it hasn't been a problem since.

3 months later
#14 8 years ago

Ugh, it's doing it again.

The switches in the lock and the switch in the top of the ramp are connected somehow.

I was trying to disable RANSOM for a tournament by removing the switch in the wireform at the top of the ramp. You could lock 3 balls but it would not start Battle.

Since then, I've been having inconsistent Jackpots and the drawbridge will sometimes stop in the up position even thought the drawbridge targets still work, I'm wondering if the game isn't detecting that ramp switch and thinks there are too many balls in the lock(3) so it won't let the drawbridge down even though there is a ball in play?

Either way, I need to look at the ramp switch, it doesn't seem like it would be the issue but it started happening right after I tried moving it out of the way.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Ugh, it's doing it again.
The switches in the lock and the switch in the top of the ramp are connected somehow.
I was trying to disable RANSOM for a tournament by removing the switch in the wireform at the top of the ramp. You could lock 3 balls but it would not start Battle.
Since then, I've been having inconsistent Jackpots and the drawbridge will sometimes stop in the up position even thought the drawbridge targets still work, I'm wondering if the game isn't detecting that ramp switch and thinks there are too many balls in the lock(3) so it won't let the drawbridge down even though there is a ball in play?
Either way, I need to look at the ramp switch, it doesn't seem like it would be the issue but it started happening right after I tried moving it out of the way.

That seems strange. Sounds like you have a problem with one of the 3 lock switches. Mine always gets #2 wonky and I keep having to adjust it. If I manually put 3 balls in the lock without triggering the wireform switch it will start multiball.

Alternatively, you could set the RANSOM timer to like one second to help cut down on the advancement in tournaments. That does not help the add from the lightning wheel though.

Chris

#16 8 years ago

There is a setting for RANSOM on the wheel. It's not a percent though, it appears to be how often and I think I set it to zero or 99.

The duration isn't as much of an issue as the extra ball and skyway bonus. It's a shame RANSOM is not per player

Interesting that you can start multiball without using the ramp switch, Maybe I do have a switch issue in the lock. If that's the case, how does it know to start multiball if the game thinks there are only 2 balls in the lock?

So, I've been toying around with the idea of making a new chute for BK2K. I think that the ability to catch the ball 100% of the time ruins the flow. I'm thinking about making a new chute that drops the ball into the right inlane instead of in front of the sling. What do you think?

#17 8 years ago

I found out last night that when this happens, you can stack Battle multiball with Knights Challenge

6 months later
#18 8 years ago

Although this thread is 6 months old, it was very helpful to me, so I thought I would comment. For years, my BK2K (my wife's favorite machine, which she plays most every day), has been turning on the jackpot during the 3-ball multiball only some of the time, not all. I didn't think too much about it (I only played the machine once in a while) and I figured it was a bug of some sort, but when my wife kept bringing it up I decided to read this thread and look at the machine more carefully, and it turns out that the third locked ball was sitting just far enough to the right of the switch that it wasn't pressing it down all the way every time--in fact, there was a good bit of horizontal "play" for all three balls when sitting in the lock trough as a result of wear, especially for the third ball. So I added a bit of clear tape to the metal guide to the right of the third ball lock and I repositioned the guide to take away the "play" and makes the balls sit a little tighter. Now the jackpot lights every time as it should, and my wife is much happier (or at least less frustrated ) when she plays. Thank you pinsiders!

3 weeks later
#19 8 years ago

I've experienced this Multiball glitch many times now, but I think the only way I've been able to trigger the game ending the mode is by draining a ball, not just randomly ending. this machine had an array of switch issues that I chased for probably 3 months on and off until I finally understood how the switch columns work and was able to narrow it down to one of 8 switches. inevitably it wound up being the Motor Down switch was wired to NO and NC rather than NO and COM and that's why it would freak out in Double Knight's Challenge trying to pop a locked ball out when there were none locked. but the trough switches are shared in that column too I think, and that's what tripped Multiball up previously.

also worth noting the software that came with the game was like PA5 and I updated to LA4. if I recall all the Multiball issues disappeared with the proto roms, I never got it to mess up once, and then once I had LA4 it would go through periods where it would always cancel Multiball on a drain (or sometimes drain 2 balls) and others where the game just worked perfectly fine.

I was never able to find any phantom switches in the switch levels test. considering its intermittent nature I'm wondering if there's a bad wire connection somewhere. definitely not in the trough though, I redid all of those, and the lock switch board was all redone as well.

1 week later
#20 8 years ago

Make sure the switch in the wireform above the drawbridge target is working, it's the switch that plays the 'lock' sound and flashes the lights when you make it up the drawbridge ramp. make sure the ball is triggering it by dropping the ball in the wireform just before the switch or manually throwing it up the drawbridge ramp. I think the game uses this switch as a backup to the switches in the 3 ball lock.

Place all 3 balls in the lock and look for side to side movement, do this with the switch test running and make sure you don't hear the switches clicking when you move the balls side to side in the lock.

If you have problems where jackpot doesn't light during multiball the lock switches are usually the problem.

This is a guess but it appears the game counts the completed ramp switches and when it gets to 3 and at least two of the lock switches are closed it will start multiball. It may also use the troth switches to help determine where the balls are. Since the game can't be sure there are 3 balls in play, as soon as you drain one, it ends multiball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2k-jackpot-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.