(Topic ID: 225649)

BK2K Hot Lower Right Flipper (Also Gets Weak)

By darcangeloel

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Kawydud
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5083 (resized).jpg
IMG_5084 (resized).jpg
20190408_170853 (resized).jpg
20190408_170835 (resized).jpg
20190408_170838 (resized).jpg
20190408_170844 (resized).jpg
20190408_170850 (resized).jpg
20190408_170804 (resized).jpg
20190408_170808 (resized).jpg
20190408_170733 (resized).jpg
20190408_170818 (resized).jpg
20190408_170822 (resized).jpg
20180930_151013 (resized).jpg
20180930_151008 (resized).jpg
20180930_151002 (resized).jpg
20180930_151418 (resized).jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I wanted to run this past folks to see if I am getting this right as I am no stranger to rebuilding flippers after attending Vid's flipper rebuilding school (I read Vid's flipper rebuild thread and I've rebuilt a good number of flippers and have never seen this problem or had this complaint). On my BK2K during league play last night the lower right flipper got weaker (And Hotter and I mean really hot, not to the point that anything melted but it was damn hot to the touch)as the night went on. I rebuilt these flippers recently (Within the last year or so and I've put about 300 or so games on them, I did the full kit and (I Think Cab flipper switch as well if I recall) I also upgraded the coils to the blue wrapper pincoils from Marco (I like the pretty wrapper (FL-11629). From what I can tell the EOS is making good contact and when closed and seems to have the correct gap when opening. The only thing I can think of that would be binding would be that stupid return spring that sits around the plunger. I have enough up and down play (I used the Marco flipper gaping tool / fork for this). Any other ideas?

The other odd thing is, I personally can still make all the shots. It's other folks who had the issue but without a doubt it is getting hot and backhanding it into the spin VUK has gotten harder. I guess my point is with FL-11629's this flipper should be super strong right? Also I get that by their very nature coils will get hot but this is not in the normal range.

Also this is not an issue with the left or upper right flipper. They are still super strong.

#2 5 years ago

The flipper is getting weak because the high power is staying on.

Use your meter to test the EOS switch to be sure it is closing. Anything more than 5ohms is a problem. I had been finding that many new EOS switches have some type of clear coating on them. So sanding on them a bit will take care of it.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The flipper is getting weak because the high power is staying on.
Use your meter to test the EOS switch to be sure it is closing. Anything more than 5ohms is a problem. I had been finding that many new EOS switches have some type of clear coating on them. So sanding on them a bit will take care of it.

To confirm your meaning here do you mean set the DMM to ohms and close the switch (Game off of course) and if I get anything higher than 5 ohms I have an issue). I agree though that this does reek of an EOS issue.

This is an interesting idea and I will check that out for sure (And hit it with a little bit of sanding). Would this cause the heat issue as well (I would think that makes sense as the larger higher powered part of the coil is staying on). It does make me wonder though. On other games when the EOS isn't working right (Not making contact and such), it will cause a fuse to pop. In this case, I haven't seen this fuse go yet.

Thanks a ton for the idea

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

To confirm your meaning here do you mean set the DMM to ohms and close the switch (Game off of course) and if I get anything higher than 5 ohms I have an issue). I agree though that this does reek of an EOS issue.

Yes that is correct.

#5 5 years ago

On other games when the EOS isn't working right (Not making contact and such), it will cause a fuse to pop. In this case, I haven't seen this fuse go yet.

Yes it can blow a fuse. Just depends on how long you keep the flipper button pressed in. I had my Dr Dude blow a fuse 6 years ago because of the clear film on the EOS switch.

#6 5 years ago

Yes that is correct.

This is really simple and good advice. I'll give it a shot when I get home and report back .

#7 5 years ago

Just make sure you measure the switch first so we know how much resistance it has before sanding on it.

I worked on a Flash Gordon for my friend a month ago, which he had installed new EOS switches. One of them happened to be measuring 1000 ohms before I sanded on those contacts. Yet the other 2 EOS switches were measuring good, 2 ohms.

#8 5 years ago

Oops...these have normally closed EOS switches, so if it is not closed, then you actually will be trying to flip with the hold part of the coil.

#9 5 years ago

Oops...these have normally closed EOS switches, so if it is not closed, then you actually will be trying to flip with the hold part of the coil.

I think that is right. When the paw strikes the switch it opens it and then pushes another stacked switch closed to give power to the upper flipper (If memory serves). However I still think your original assertion could be correct. If when closed I'm getting resistance on the switch wouldn't that cause weak/ hot flippers? I'm thinking it's either that or the damn replacement spring causing some type of binding (But I couldn't prove that last night.)

#10 5 years ago

So lately, I've been testing the EOS switches even before I put them on a new flipper assembly. It is easier to test and take care of when it is not yet soldered in.

#11 5 years ago

So I cleaned the eos regapped and did the wpc conversion vid suggested and I also tightened up the gap on the flipper button. As such the power is back full force (honestly I don't remember it ever being this strong) however even after just a few 10 min games that coil is hot to the touch, again not melting but hot AF. The other coil is not hot at all. Perhaps Pincoil 11629's get real hot? Is the heat normal? Again I'm glad the power is back

#12 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the left and right lower flipper coils and the wires going to the solder lugs? Just want to be sure they are wired correctly.

#13 5 years ago

Sure np. I'm pretty sure they are right but it never hurts to have someone else verify no pic of the left coil on hand. Only the lower right as I always take pictures before I start taking stuff apart.

20180919_172700 (resized).jpg20180919_172700 (resized).jpg20180919_172720 (resized).jpg20180919_172720 (resized).jpg20180919_172722 (resized).jpg20180919_172722 (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago

According to the manual on page 29, BK2K is supposed to have all FL-11630 flipper coils. That means you installed a more powerful coil, I believe, so you might potentially be having a lot of air balls or bashing and breaking some targets/ on the lower playfield.

I cannot find a good picture to see if it is wired correctly. I probably can look at my Taxi tonight, but my BK2K is out on loan. 2018-09-20 07_16_59-https___www.ipdb.org_files_311_Williams_1989_Black_Knight_2000_Manual.pdf - Inte (resized).png2018-09-20 07_16_59-https___www.ipdb.org_files_311_Williams_1989_Black_Knight_2000_Manual.pdf - Inte (resized).png

#15 5 years ago

According to the manual on page 29, BK2K is supposed to have all FL-11630 flipper coils. That means you installed a more powerful coil, I believe, so you might potentially be having a lot of air balls or bashing and breaking some targets/ on the lower playfield.
I cannot find a good picture to see if it is wired correctly. I probably can look at my Taxi tonight, but my BK2K is out on loan. [quoted image]

Yeah I put in FL-11629's as I like the extra power also GRC did it hahaha. Come to think of it the other coil is a 30.

#16 5 years ago

I do know who GRC is. Since everything is so close on the lower playfield, 11630 coils were chosen for that reason.

#17 5 years ago

I do know who GRC is. Since everything is so close on the lower playfield, 11630 coils were chosen for that reason.

Interesting, any idea where you read that? I'm curious about it. Also maybe that describes the extra heat?

#18 5 years ago

Interesting, any idea where you read that? I'm curious about it. Also maybe that describes the extra heat?

I thought it was common knowledge that you would not want too powerful of a flipper coil with parts so close to the flippers. No, I do not think that is the reason for the extra heat. I am very interested in the resistance measurements of the EOS switch before and after the cleanup and regapping to be sure it is actually closed/open when it should be.

#19 5 years ago

Who dat?

#20 5 years ago

That's the Rays tech tips dudes on YouTube. They have a retail store / shop in PA. Not as well known in my opinion as TNT but they seem to do nice work.

#21 5 years ago

Eh oddly I didn't take any as I was in a hurry to get it done . Again power is back though. I wonder if I put in a new 30 coil on that side if the heat would go away. Better to have a normal coil than a high power coil that burns itself out.

I thought it was common knowledge that you would not want too powerful of a flipper coil with parts so close to the flippers. No, I do not think that is the reason for the extra heat. I am very interested in the resistance measurements of the EOS switch before and after the cleanup and regapping to be sure it is actually closed/open when it should be.

#22 5 years ago

Specifically, was BK2K mentioned to go to a higher power coil? I do not subscribe to his channel, so I would believe it would have been a tip for games that have ramps set way back into the playfield such as TZ or STTNG, not for this particular game.

#23 5 years ago

Time to measure that flipper coil, with the EOS open and closed. Also report what the middle to the other outer winding measured. Hopefully, the coil was not damaged. I do not believe the 11629 coil should not be getting hot unless there is still an issue with the EOS switch.

#24 5 years ago

- Yup he mentioned it specifically. Fast forward to around 7 min in and watch to 9 min in. He specifically talks about how long the shot up the left ramp is (Which I agree, it is a super long shot and it has to go up a pretty steep ramp. When you have the 30 coils in the game you can't always make it which I think hurts the game play). He also talked about how they specifically used weaker coils in order to increase the operators earning. Now whether that is true or not idk, it's possible. One thing of note, he did call the 29's hot coils so perhaps it is normal... hell if I know hahaha. I'll measure the resistance and report back.

Specifically, was BK2K mentioned to go to a higher power coil? I do not subscribe to his channel, so I would believe it would have been a tip for games that have ramps set way back into the playfield such as TZ or STTNG, not for this particular game.

#25 5 years ago

I don't thing that coil is wired right.

#26 5 years ago

Well...I can say that how high or low the flipper bats are adjusted can affect how hard the left orbit to the upper playfield hits that shot from the right lower flipper. My game seems just fine with the 11630 coils.

Hot sounds more of reference to the more powerful coil. On any game made with 11629 coils, they do get warm, just your description of hot to the touch is not sounding normal at all.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

I don't think so either, I just can't confirm it without seeing the left flipper coil.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

What makes you say that? Please note when I flipped the coil around (Per Vid's guide) I had to extend the wires a bit so you'll need to look a bit closer to see what is wired where. I think its wired right from what I can tell. Looking at the picture on the top most lug I have two purple yellows, on the middle lug I have a single teal wire going to the EOS, and on the bottom lug I have two wires a blue purple and a teal wire going to the other side of the EOS. I'll check the close ups of under the PF on Ipdb if I can find them.

#29 5 years ago

the black extension wires may be throwing me off
not sure of the colored wires for the coils

you should have one wire (possible 2) going to lug 3 this should be your +50 volts
your lug 1 should be the ground coming flipper switch, plus a wire going to eos switch ( switch normal closed)
the return from eos to lug 2 center.
this provide ground for both primary and secondary coils, when eos switch opens it no longer is providing a ground to the primary.

if this is how you do have then I apologies, extended wires may be what thru me off

#30 5 years ago

Na no worries at all. If I have it wrong I want to know for sure based on the pictures on Ipdb I think I have it right as they have the coils flipped around (Lugs away from the coil stop). They have two purple yellow on the top lug, one teal going to the EOS on the middle lug, and two wires one going to the EOS looks teal and another wire (I can't tell the color as I am zoomed in 400% LOL), assuming that game is wired correctly, I think it's correct.

Quoted from wdennie:

the black extension wires may be throwing me off
not sure of the colored wires for the coils
you should have one wire (possible 2) going to lug 3 this should be your +50 volts
your lug 1 should be the ground coming flipper switch, plus a wire going to eos switch ( switch normal closed)
the return from eos to lug 2 center.
this provide ground for both primary and secondary coils, when eos switch opens it no longer is providing a ground to the primary.
if this is how you do have then I apologies, extended wires may be what thru me off

#31 5 years ago

I don't think so either, I just can't confirm it without seeing the left flipper coil.

Here is a left flipper coil it isn't flipped around so you'll have to thing about it that way. Looking at the left (If the coil was flipped around it looks like the top would have a blue (Or purple or blue with a yellow stripe) and another wire. One wire going to the EOS (White instead of teal) on the middle and one wire going to the eos (White) and one blue purple wire on the bottom. Going with this picture as well I think it matches mine as well.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#32 5 years ago

I just looked at the stripped colors and it seems to match the left with the right. So it is time to measure that coil resistance and the EOS switch when it is opened/closed and the other winding on the coil.

Look at the white wrapper again if you see a black band at all which would be a sign the coil winding got too hot when the EOS switch was not making contact originally.

#33 5 years ago

I just looked at the stripped colors and it seems to match the left with the right. So it is time to measure that coil resistance and the EOS switch when it is opened/closed and the other winding on the coil.
Look at the white wrapper again if you see a black band at all which would be a sign the coil winding got too hot when the EOS switch was not making contact originally.

cool will do. Glad it hasn't been wired wrong for like a year hahahaha. I'll check those resistances when I get home. To confirm I should take those readings at the coil lugs correct? I don't have to remove the wires or anything right? (Again game off of course). Thanks. If memory serves I would put one lead on the top lug and one on the middle take a reading. Move the flipper up with the leads on the same lugs and take a reading then put one lead on the bottom lug and one lead on the middle still and take a reading. Then with the same lugs take a reading with the flipper up as well? I think I've confused myself just writing it out hahaha. See the picture for the testing I am thinking of.

Coil Testing (resized).pngCoil Testing (resized).png
#34 5 years ago

by DDM I mean DMM (Digital Multimeter) lolz

#35 5 years ago

Yes. Check the resistance at the solder lugs of the coil. Outer lug (EOS switch closed and then open) to middle lug. Then the other outer lug (not tied to the EOS switch) to the middle lug would be what needs to be measured.

#36 5 years ago

I don't have a auto ranging meter so I set this to 200 ohms. Here are the readings:

Test 1 : 4.1
Test 2 : 4.2
Test 3 : 00.3
Test 4 : 45.5

#37 5 years ago

I don't have a auto ranging meter so I set this to 200 ohms. Here are the readings:
Test 1 : 4.1
Test 2 : 4.2
Test 3 : 00.3
Test 4 : 45.5

Your test 1 and 2 do not change because there is not an EOS switch there. Measurement is good.
Test 3 shows the EOS switch is closed. Good.
Test 4 measurement with the EOS open sounds too low so I suspect this is why the coil is getting hot. Can you disconnect the wire from the middle lug and retest this ? (In other words takes the EOS switch out of the equation).

Do you have another flipper coil to try? I have a 11629 coil at home and I suspect it actually should be around 128 ohms. I will not know for an hour when I am home from work.

#38 5 years ago

Interesting, yeah I'll give that a try for sure. Just to confirm my understanding of this coil when I hit the flipper button does that activate the power part of the coil and the hold part of the coil? Then when the eos opens does that turn off the power part of the coil and only leave the hold part of the coil on? I think thats how it works lolz. Ty for the help my man these are all awesome things to check.

#39 5 years ago

I removed the wire from the middle lug. I'm now getting
Test 1 and 2 remain the same
Test 3 131.2
Test 4 59.3

#40 5 years ago

Dumb question with the eos connected should I get those same readings? For test 4 that is? The more I think about it no right.

#41 5 years ago

Just to confirm my understanding of this coil when I hit the flipper button does that activate the power part of the coil and the hold part of the coil? Then when the eos opens does that turn off the power part of the coil and only leave the hold part of the coil on? I think thats how it works lolz.

This is better than I can describe.
http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_flipper1.htm

#42 5 years ago

with the eos connected should I get those same readings? For test 4 that is? The more I think about it no right.

I agree. Basically with the middle wire off, the EOS switch should not even be in the picture. You should be getting 130 ohms, which you do, so I think you coil is ok. I just don't see how you are getting that 60 ohms at all.

If you had changed all your flipper assemblies to WPC, then you may have something miswired with the upper right flipper. Can you measure the upper right flipper?

Here is another reference to changing over the flipper assemblies.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-to-wpc

#43 5 years ago

I agree. Basically with the middle wire off, the EOS switch should not even be in the picture. You should be getting 130 ohms, which you do, so I think you coil is ok. I just don't see how you are getting that 60 ohms at all.
If you had changed all your flipper assemblies to WPC, then you may have something miswired with the upper right flipper. Can you measure the upper right flipper?
Here is another reference to changing over the flipper assemblies.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-to-wpc

So for now I only changed the lower right flipper (I'll do the lower left as well so they are both snappy. The top flipper has always been strong and returns nicely so I think I'll leave it as is.

Regarding how I am getting 60 ohms with the flipper up and the middle lug disconnected. I wonder if something is causing a short somehow? Idk hahaha. I rebuild this one a while back before I discovered heat shrink tubing (And the fact that removing the entire assembly and working on it out of the game is 100 times easier to get good solid connections. I've disconnected all the wires at the lugs. I'm going to go back and make sure everything is correct and nothing is making contact where it shouldn't. I do wonder though what the correct resistances should be with the coil out of a game and what they are when you move a plunger through the center (As this does seem to change the resistance).

#44 5 years ago

That link was a very nice write up btw. So when the flipper is flipped it puts the low powered coil and high power coil in series in order to get the most resistance (Lowest amperage draw (Which I figure means lower heat). So the fact that both of my test 4's keep coming out with lower resistances tells me something is pretty wrong. I wonder if I've cooked that coil somehow.

#45 5 years ago

try removing the yellow cap.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

try removing the yellow cap.

Good idea. I'm thinking once I take it all apart and heat shrink tube everything nicely and put it back together that could resolve the issue.

#47 5 years ago

I cleaned up that flipper assembly and it looks better however the issue remains. I plan to install a new coil and hopefully that will resolve the issue.

#48 5 years ago

With the new coil, you should have basically zero ohms with the EOS switch closed and 130 ohms with the EOS switch open if you are using will be using a new 11629 coil. If you measure the 60 ohms again with the new coil with the EOS switch open, then there will be something else wrong.

#49 5 years ago

Did you get tubing on the capacitor leads so they are not shorting to anything? Also, measure across the capacitor to be sure it is not measuring the 60 ohms.

#50 5 years ago

Did you get tubing on the capacitor leads so they are not shorting to anything? Also, measure across the capacitor to be sure it is not measuring the 60 ohms.

Sure did, before I had some nice old electrical tape on it (Extra shitty job hahaha). Now it is all nice and pretty. I think mine read OL when I trying to get a resistance reading on the cap? Not 60 or anything. I need to go back and get the resistances now that it's been reinstalled.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.99
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2k-hot-lower-right-flipper-also-gets-weak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.