• Latest reply 9 years ago by mojozone
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

190814.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I have some GI out on the top playfield of BK2K. Its the row of GI and spells out WAR. I figured out that if i put some pressure on the connector it will come on. I decided last night that i would replace/repin the molex connector since i had all the parts, and had beer .

So anyway after that, the same thing is happening. No lights until i put pressure on the connector. Does this mean that its on the board? The Male part? (I can't think of the name right now)
Do i need to reflow solder on the back of the board?
I haven't attempted this before. Any suggestions to try first?
~Nick

#2 9 years ago

I had the same issue with the "Ransom" board....It was cracked cold solder joints on the board...reflowed those and fixed it 100%.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

I had the same issue with the "Ransom" board....It was cracked cold solder joints on the board...reflowed those and fixed it 100%.

Is it just a matter of heating up old solder and putting new on? Never tried it.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

Is it just a matter of heating up old solder and putting new on? Never tried it.

Put some flux on the pins, touch the iron to each pin to melt the solder, and add a little new solder. Best practice would be to remove the old solder first with a desoldering tool. I only remove the old solder if it looks bad (cloudy) after reheating it.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Put some flux on the pins, touch the iron to each pin to melt the solder, and add a little new solder. Best practice would be to remove the old solder first with a desoldering tool. I only remove the old solder if it looks bad (cloudy) after reheating it.

Excellent, thank you for the advice.

#6 9 years ago

I'm confused here. You said you replaced the connector. I guess i'm assuming both the female connector and the male header pin.

If you didn't replace the male header pin, yes, that's where the issue lies. It is either cold joints or a lot of tarnish on those pins, more likely the former.

I'd just replace the header pin.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I'm confused here. You said you replaced the connector. I guess i'm assuming both the female connector and the male header pin.
If you didn't replace the male header pin, yes, that's where the issue lies. It is either cold joints or a lot of tarnish on those pins, more likely the former.
I'd just replace the header pin.

Hey Blackbeard, i just replaced the female molex connector. I am now going to look into reflowing soder on the Male header pins on the back of the board.

#8 9 years ago

That'll fix it!

If you look really closely at the back of the board, you'll see those cold joints. It'll look like a little circle around the pin. Really tiny to see though.

My advice would be to buzz out each pin before putting the board back in though, i.e. making sure you have good continuity from the pin to the trace on the back.

Good luck!

#9 9 years ago

Here is a photo from another post here on Pinside that shows a good idea of what to look for......
190814.jpg190814.jpg

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-resets-when-cold-and-after-vacation-planner

Good luck!

#10 9 years ago

Good pic Trooper.

I get happy when I see cold solder joints. Usually means I've found the culprit and it's an easy fix!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

Here is a photo from another post here on Pinside that shows a good idea of what to look for......

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-resets-when-cold-and-after-vacation-planner
Good luck!

190814.jpg 46 KB

Thanks for the reference photo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 39.99
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
4,500 (OBO)
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2k-gi-helpquestions-thanks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.