Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by epeabs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have read several posts concerning Williams drop target issues (was trying not to duplicate a post), but none have answered my questions completely. On my BK2K both sets of lower playfield drop targets work, but both are "sticky". They drop slowly about half way, then after a moment, or if hit again, they drop completely. I think they come back up OK. I know I will need to take the target assemblies out and clean them. They look like they have been "greased" (maybe lithium grease?) Should they be cleaned with alcohol, regreased and reassembled? Or should they be not greased and reassembled dry? Also the springs look to be in good shape, but I am assuming I would be wise to purchase new springs to alleviate unseen tension issues. Does this sound like a cleaning and reassemble will cure this, or should I be looking at anything else while I have them out? Thanks in advance.

#2 11 years ago

I would replace the coil sleeves, they are super cheap, I did this on a sticky drop target on my Hurricane and it fixed the issue. A general cleaning while out will also help.

#3 11 years ago

We had the same problem with ours, we took them completely apart and cleaned with cotton swabs and alcohol and also replaced the springs. doing that solved our problem.Did not grease anything.

#4 11 years ago

The person I bought my bk2k said that the drop targets would stick from time to time, and that he just had to clean them from time to time. Knock on wood hasn't happened to me yet, seems to be fairly common from what I read.

#5 11 years ago

That grease is probably the problem. No grease!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

That grease is probably the problem. No grease!

Thats true, the grease actually attracts the dirt/dust. Do not do it.

#7 11 years ago

I appreciate the response. When I have some time, I will pull them out and give them a good cleaning and reassembling, without grease. My thought was that the grease is probably causing some friction. Thanks.

#8 11 years ago

Yeah - fully strip them and clean all the gunk and dirt out, will fix them right up.

#9 11 years ago

Yup, I had exactly the same thing happening to the drop targets on my Jokerz. Took them out, stripped them down and cleaned the film of black gunk off them. Reassembled them dry and they now work perfectly!

#10 11 years ago

This forum is the best. Hopefully at some point I will be able to return the favor once I am not such a noob.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

This forum is the best. Hopefully at some point I will be able to return the favor once I am not such a noob.

You know how to do this, now you just have to beat the hundreds of others looking to help each other out.

#12 11 years ago

I cleaned up one of the drop target assemblies with alcohol and Q tips. Put it back together "dry". Two of the drops work awesome, the other still sticks a little. I will pull the sticky one and reclean it and make sure I didn't reassemble that one incorreclty, it should do the trick. Amazing what a clean will do. No new springs, coil sleeves or anything. Just get rid of the "lithium" grease someone I believe sprayed in there to lube them up!

#13 11 years ago

After you clean off the targets with alcohol, use some car wax on them. It will not attract gunk and it will make them friction free!

#14 11 years ago

That sounds like a great idea. I will try that once I take it back apart.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,500 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
$ 39.99
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2k-drop-target-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.