• Latest reply 8 years ago by DefaultGen
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image3.JPG
image2.JPG
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Restored a machine for a customer and it worked fantastic.

Shipped it to him. He called me after set up saying that it keeps dying and that he never played a game.

Here is what happens the machine powers up into attract mode but doesnt cycle the wall motor before doing so and the test report flashes test motor. Everything in attract mode works as it should lights sounds etc.

Upon depressing the start button the machine begins to start a game as normal for about 3 seconds then locks up. Display is dark, No controlled lighting, no sound. To get out of the lock up the machine must be powered down.

If during attract mode the coindoor test buttons are tried sometimes Test mode can be reached but then it cannot be exited. Again only sometimes You can get into test mode.
Basically the coin door buttons dont function.

The machine is not in a slam tilt mode

At one point it was noticed that the Magna save button switch blades were making contact. Must have been done during shipping. The switch gap was corrected and the game came up normally, the motor worked as it should and two balls were just shot around.

During the working game mode he tried to use the coin door buttons to see if they were now functioning and they still did not. He powered down the game to get out of test mode and the game was back to the same lock up sequence.

Depressing SW2 on the CPU does not change anything with the board diagnostic LED

Upon power up the 5v LEd comes on quickly followed by the Led on the far right. The diagnostic center Led comes up right after in the fast blinking mode.

No board corrosion I reflowed all of the pins on all boards, New fuses all voltages read as perfect.

The game played spectacularly before it was packed and shipped.

Any ideas?

#2 9 years ago

I had an issue with my Elvira doing weird things, and ultimately blacking out during games. It turned out it was the outlet. Moved to another plug and the game works perfectly. Prob not your issue, but think of the things that are different from one location to the next.

#4 9 years ago

Seems to me, the most logical thing to do is check all connectors and socketed ICs. The vibration during shipping could've caused all sorts of interesting problems. Just give a light push on all of them.

#5 9 years ago

Is it Start Button to "I am the Black Knight" to controlled lights flashing and then the game locks up with the GI bulbs on rather than launching a ball? Mine does that sometimes (maybe one in 5-10 boots), but I never have issues when the game starts. I'm interested in the resolution if you figure it out.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Seems to me, the most logical thing to do is check all connectors and socketed ICs. The vibration during shipping could've caused all sorts of interesting problems. Just give a light push on all of them.

Had him do all of that and nothing.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

Is it Start Button to "I am the Black Knight" to controlled lights flashing and then the game locks up with the GI bulbs on rather than launching a ball? Mine does that sometimes (maybe one in 5-10 boots), but I never have issues when the game starts. I'm interested in the resolution if you figure it out.

When he presses the start button the machine starts up until the point the word black Kni is heard. It doesn't get through the word Knight. Sometimes it reaches the point where the ball just gets into the shooter then it Locks up.

#7 9 years ago

Owner just called. When locked up he pressed SW2 on the board and it did not come out of lockup only with power down/up cycle did it do so.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Had him do all of that and nothing.

When he presses the start button the machine starts up until the point the word black Kni is heard. It doesn't get through the word Knight. Sometimes it reaches the point where the ball just gets into the shooter then it Locks up.

Might be something wrong with the ball trough eject coil or it's associated transistors. Is it during that word "Knight" that the ball typically ejects?

#9 9 years ago

Found a video of the start up sequence. Looks like the only thing going before it finishes the first phrase is the flashbulb circuit that has a bulb in the middle Knight Head insert and one by the right lane that leads to the upkicker. Check those sockets and associated circuits.

As far as the rest of the symptoms and not going into the test menu, make sure the 4 pin connector is on the right spot and not off by a pin (ran into that last week with a Gorgar where they had the connector off by 1 pin). If not an issue with the switches or connector I suspect bad RAM.

#10 9 years ago

Ill forward him your suggestions and will post his reply thx

#11 9 years ago

The owner just sent this response to your suggestions.

"Disconnected the center knight head flasher cable. Since I don't remember ever seeing it flash. Thought I'd try that suggestion you sent.

Game started! Played it for a while, target bank motor still doesn't work but otherwise it was almost normal. Except the display was totally freaked out. See pictures.

image2.JPGimage2.JPG
image3.JPGimage3.JPG
Can sometimes get it in test mode if I hold down both buttons at startup. Or press the right button a lot. Not always.

Anyway unfortunately after that game with the freaked out display I couldn't start another. Same as always. It's like when you changed one thing, that stuck magna save button contact and the game started up once. So weird.

So basically it's got to be there's some board problem. I will probably just order the Rottendog system 11b and interconnect boards and hopefully that fixes everything including the mysteriously not working target bank motor."

Still can't figure this out any other suggestions that I can have him look for?

#13 9 years ago

I know exactly what your problem is. The lockup is a software issue caused when a game is started and the target bank position switch(es) are not registering correctly. The game will start for about 3 seconds and crash. When I shopped my BK2K and was testing it, I ran into this same behaviour because I had not put the upper playfield back in yet.

Rob

#14 9 years ago

Rob, I passed the info on to the owner.

When I restored the machine I tested everything with the upper playfield still out and the machine did not crash it just went through the usual alert messages.

However the input you gave may still be the reason that the machine is now crashing which I feel is a more apt description by the way.

If indeed there is an issue with the switches not registering that yet raises another question and that question is why would this happen after shipping?

I installed a new drop target motor and new switches during the restoration and the machine played perfectly before it was wrapped and shipped.

Thx so much for the heads up I will keep the progress posted and maybe we can solve this issue without having hands on the machine.

#15 9 years ago

Has the owner unplugged/reseated the ribbon cable on both sides between the MPU and the display?

#16 9 years ago

Yes I had him do that from his first email the Ribbon connectors and all of the connectors.

Got an email last night saying that he unplugged a flasher as per Kbliznicks suggestion and that the game actually started and he played three games only the drop target assembly did not work so there may be something to the drop target assembly that is the issue as per Rob_g's suggestion.

He went on to say then the machine returned to crashing

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

He went on to say then the machine returned to crashing

Does he have any other System 11B games that he can swap the MPU between?
Maybe you can send him one out of your Jokerz if you feel confortable with him swapping ROMs/boards.
At the least it does sound like the transistor for the flasher may have an issue.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Does he have any other System 11B games that he can swap the MPU between?
Maybe you can send him one out of your Jokerz if you feel confortable with him swapping ROMs/boards.
At the least it does sound like the transistor for the flasher may have an issue.

The original flasher and its associated transistor were fried before I restored the machine and replaced both.

He now has all LEDs in the machine.

This problem only happened after it was shipped to him.

As for my Jokerz Not in a billion years would I take any of my machines apart! LOL you have no idea how anal I am about my machines.

In the interim I believe he has ordered a brand new Rottendog board.

This is all very strange as I reworked all of the boards for the restoration and they were in great almost new shape.

I just cant figure this one out especially so without having the machine in the shop.

Have to thank all who have been trying to help I think we will crack the mystery soon.

#19 9 years ago

It was just a suggestion as it sounds like you care about the machine that you had sold. See if you can get him to make an insurance claim against the shipping company to cover the new MPU. I don't think it is too late.

Well, I'm in the middle of a BK2K shop out. I had a problem with my sound not playing in attract mode (heard a ticking sound in the speakers), MPU constantly rebooting, and when it did boot, I could not get it into the sound test without it rebooting. I swapped out the power supply even though I had a good 5 volts (4.98 volts). That fixed those issues, so I suspect the 18,000Uf 25 volt C10 capacitor to be at fault since it looks like it is beginning to bulge on one of the capacitor. I didn't have another at the time to change it, but I was glad I had a spare power supply to try. Was this capacitor changed when you had the game?

#20 9 years ago

I did not sell the game it was sent to me for a complete restoration. I did not change out that cap as I wanted to. I have suggested to him to return the board for a full cap and bridge replacement.

Yes I do care about any machine I work on for a client.

If he could send the machine back to me I would repair this issue with no cost even if it has nothing to do with my restoration as it left my shop working 100%.

It really bothers me that he has not had the opportunity to play it.

I have never encountered this situation before of one of my restorations having an issue upon arrival to a client. Its not good to say the least.

The client commented to me that it seems to bother me more than him that maybe the case but either way its just not acceptable.

#21 9 years ago

Here is the latest response.

"All the drops register -- I was able to get it back in test mode. After that I was able to start a game but the game immediately dropped back into attract mode -- this was right after it kicked the ball to the plunger. Once again it seems like any minor change, getting into test mode, testing the drops -- doing that lets you play one game or at least start to play one game. Meanwhile during the game both the R and the M in RANSOM were both blinking which is not supposed to be something that can happen. First ball played OK.

This time after the first ball drained the game counted up bonus, kept playing the sound loop (that plays while waiting for the ball plunge) but was otherwise locked up with just with the G.I. working and that's it.

Motor not working in test or any other time.

So if say the game is terminally confused and let's see what happens with the new board".

#22 9 years ago

When will the owner be installing the new MPU board?
If that doesn't help, time to change the 18000 Uf 25 volt cap on the power supply.

Symptoms seem so similar to the issues I was having with my power supply, other than the display issues.

#23 9 years ago

He will be installing the new board tomorrow.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

He will be installing the new board tomorrow.

I'll go on record and say I don't think this will fix the problem. You already said the motor on the target bank isn't working and that absolutely needs to be resolved first.

Rob

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I'll go on record and say I don't think this will fix the problem. You already said the motor on the target bank isn't working and that absolutely needs to be resolved first.
Rob

I am thinking along the same lines. We will see when the new board is installed.

#26 9 years ago

The owner just installed the new board and this is what he wrote!

"Unfortunately for BK2K, the replacement board didn't change anything, and in fact the game has all the same symptoms as before but in addition it also no longer has speech. Which may mean I did something wrong when transferring the sound ROMs. Good grief. Was being really careful too.

At this point I don't know what else to do really other than ship the game back up to you and just chalk this up to I don't know what but experience. But clearly this isn't something I'm going to be able to fix on my own and it's also pretty clear that it's not the board. Now I'm thinking could it be one of the CPUs? Who knows.

So disappointing!"

Im so confused by all of this as the machine was perfect, much better than new after my restore and this happened upon arrival at his home??????????

Has any other System 11 owners had a machine crash? If so what was the cause?

#28 9 years ago

Not sure if this is the answer since some of the issues are what I had experienced and some are not.
My game would lock up during play,just froze and had to restart.
At times the score display would be gibberish,and the speech did weird things.
The whole machine acted like it had a seizure.
Turns out , and this was about 10 years ago, that I thought I should change out the 2 rom chips, Thinking at the time there was some update that I needed and purchased off ebay.
Still being sold as of today.
I replaced the chips with the original and haven't had a problem since.
The 2 chips before reverting back to the original ones, had me thinking it was the score display, interconnect board which are new now.

1 week later
#29 9 years ago

The owner just sent me this clip

LED sequence from power up until lockup

#30 9 years ago

I was not aware it had a Rottendog MPU installed. I would contact them to see if they could test it out or offer some advice.

#31 9 years ago

I was not aware it had a Rottendog MPU installed. I would contact them to see if they could test it out or offer some advice.

The rotten dog board was just installed by him a few days ago thinking that it may solve this issue and as you can see it has not.

#32 9 years ago

Eddie, where does your customer live? Perhaps there's a local tech who could help?

#33 9 years ago

He lives in Long Island I referred him to a tech out there but he doesnt seem to trust anyone else with the machine and is thinking of sending it back to me.

I am trying to avoid that scenario as I wouldn't want the machine damaged in shipping I don't think he will prep it sufficiently and it would be ashamed to have it damaged after the restoration that was done.

Too bad the issue didn't arrive in the shop before I sent it out.

Sending me just the boards won't really help as I don't have text fixtures.

I find it odd that the same issue has carried over to the new rotten dog board too something is corrupting the logic somehow. Power issue, Playfield board, ribbon cable ?

#34 9 years ago

Ask him to unplug the sound board ribbon cable and power connector. Wondering if that will allow him to play the game without any lock ups

#36 9 years ago

Just got the response back from the suggestion of removing the sound board from the equation.

"Sound board completely disconnected. Just removed all the cables from it.

Still have the same problem. At power on left and middle lights are steady, right light is blinking steadily. Once I start a game, The game locks up just as before, and looking at the three lights on the CPU board, the left is out, middle light is steady, and right most light is sometimes out but more often steady lit. I don't actually think this is any change from before. I think there were times before when the rightmost light but steady lit once the game locked up, and other times when it is out."

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Just got the response back from the suggestion of removing the sound board from the equation.
"Sound board completely disconnected. Just removed all the cables from it.
Still have the same problem. At power on left and middle lights are steady, right light is blinking steadily. Once I start a game, The game locks up just as before, and looking at the three lights on the CPU board, the left is out, middle light is steady, and right most light is sometimes out but more often steady lit. I don't actually think this is any change from before. I think there were times before when the rightmost light but steady lit once the game locked up, and other times when it is out."

Ed, you are running around in circles trying all this other stuff when I have told you exactly what the problem is. The game will NEVER work until you get the motorized target bank fixed.

Rob

#38 9 years ago

Eddie, how far is Long Island from you? I've never been to NYC, so I don't have any idea - doesn't seem like it'd be that far? Maybe 10 miles?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Ed, you are running around in circles trying all this other stuff when I have told you exactly what the problem is. The game will NEVER work until you get the motorized target bank fixed.
Rob

Cant fix a target bank without a machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Eddie, how far is Long Island from you? I've never been to NYC, so I don't have any idea - doesn't seem like it'd be that far? Maybe 10 miles?

From my home he is about 60 mi but with Long Island Traffic it can take up to 3+ hrs 1 way

He is sending me the machine tonight and it will have to wait until my FT restoration is done.

The owner understands this and is ok with it.

Im really looking forward to finding out why he had this problem.

#40 9 years ago

The machine arrived at my shop about 1hr ago! I won't be able to get to it for a few weeks but if anyone is interested I will post a follow up as to what was causing the troubles.

#41 9 years ago

Sounds like a corrupted game ROM to me. I have read that some versions of bk2k have issues.

#42 9 years ago

A few weeks? I can't imagine keeping him waiting any longer if he is a customer.

I would say anyone that posted their thoughts would be interested in knowing the cause.

#43 9 years ago

A few weeks? I can't imagine keeping him waiting any longer if he is a customer.
I would say anyone that posted their thoughts would be interested in knowing the cause.

Yes he was aware that I was restoring a machine for another client so he has no problems waiting.

I do all machine restorations on weekends so the schedule is really tight as I take easily close to 200 hrs for a restore.

I have restored 4 of his machines and have two more on queue.

He understands that the machine left my shop working perfectly and this just happened.

He is not in a rush for the machine I have been in contact with him since the machine arrived at his home.

If he wanted me to stop my restoration and work on this machine I would have done it as the client always comes first no matter what. Of course I would have had to have run it by the other client as well.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Sounds like a corrupted game ROM to me. I have read that some versions of bk2k have issues.

That would perfectly explain why the new MPU did the samething.

2 weeks later
#45 9 years ago

My machine did the same thing last night. Played it all night long and then took a break to play some Whirlwind. When I went back and hit start the machine froze up. Display blank GI locked on but no other lighting. Turned it on and back off to receive errors of Motor Switch up and Motor Switch Down. I reset the switches in switch edge and started the game. The ball kicked out but as soon as it hit the shooter lane the game gave me those same errors and went back to attract.

I LOVE me some BK2K. So whatever you find out will be wonderful as I am sure that we have the exact same issue.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

My machine did the same thing last night. Played it all night long and then took a break to play some Whirlwind. When I went back and hit start the machine froze up. Display blank GI locked on but no other lighting. Turned it on and back off to receive errors of Motor Switch up and Motor Switch Down. I reset the switches in switch edge and started the game. The ball kicked out but as soon as it hit the shooter lane the game gave me those same errors and went back to attract.
I LOVE me some BK2K. So whatever you find out will be wonderful as I am sure that we have the exact same issue.

I will be finished with the FT restoration soon. I ail then be able to get back to the BK2000 and see what is going on. Of course I will post the results.

#47 9 years ago

Ok Thanks. In the meantime I am going to check the motor and then the transistors that control it and go from there.

1 week later
#48 9 years ago

Just finished the FT restoration so now I have had about an hour to try to figure out the cause of the lock up and it appears I have but not the remedy yet.

The cause of the lockup and odd behavior is due to either of the motor up or down switches not being depressed by the motor cam. In other words at least one must be activated or the machine goes bonkers and locks up.

By manually turning the motor until a cam depresses a switch the game can be played perfectly without having access to the castle shot as the up down targets remain up. There is no compensation in the software for a failed motor.

Why didn't the cam activate either switch? Its because the motor is not working.

This is a new motor that was installed when I restored the machine as the other was giving all sorts of odd behavior and Pinsiders said it was a motor issue and the solution was replacement.

The replacement did the trick as all issues had gone.

However something must have happened during shipping that caused this motor to fail and that is where I am at now trying to determine why it failed.

I have taken a voltage reading at the motor connector and am getting 30+ volts during motor test.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

I have the IPDB PDF of the manual but no schematics. Manual says Q6 is the motor transistor but there are two Q6 transistors one tip 36 on the AUX pb and a tip 102 on the PDB which is a new Rotten dog replacement that the owner installed trying to fix the issue.

I am assuming that the tip 102 is driving a larger Tip on the APDB and that they are both working as I am getting voltage in motor test.

The tip 36 tested fine at least on the board as did the tip 102.

Can anyone chime in? Thanks

#49 9 years ago

Did you use a motor specifically for a bk2k? Not all system 11 motors are interchangeable. You need an 11rpm, otherwise it will burn out.

#50 9 years ago

Yes and I just took it off the machine and its 24v 60 hz. Model -E 24 11RPM CCW

Im getting 48 ohms in ohms test

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

4,500 (OBO)
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2000-locks-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.