Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kawydud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have a BK2000 that has a light matrix issue. The first 4 columns light exactly how they should in single light test. When I get to the second half of the matrix, all 4 lights in the corresponding columns light up when I test a single light. So for the entire second half of the light test, there will be 4 lights on for each lamp. The lights flash just like they should. Nothing is locked on, just 4 lights flashing for each second half of the light test.

I have even disconnected the connectors for the strobe and return off the cpu board and checked the transistors withe a logic probe. The transistors are not functioning like the first 4 with all wires disconnecting. It is acting like something in the cpu board is telling it to act differently.

What I have changed - all new tip 42 transistors, new pre driver transistors, new 7408 chip for the second half of the matrix, and a new 6821 PIA.

#2 3 years ago

Little bit of an update, I swapped out the CPU from my Whirlwind in to BK2000 to verify my issue is on the CPU board. Game works perfectly with that board. So I don't know where to go from there. All of the components that seem to control the second half of the light matrix have been changed out. My logic probe is still showing that those 4 transistors are firing together when only one should be on during the specific light test. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Which 4 lamps in each will help you narrow it down. At least you know it's not on the PF since the other mpu board worked.

The corresponding lights on the same row of the matrix light up at the same time the single light is supposed to. So for the entire 4 columns there are 4 lights flashing during single lamp test.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

So you're stepping through lamp test to 32, advance ransom bolt, everything is fine, you go to 33 drawbridge bolt 3, you get 33, 41, 49, and 57 lighting? You move to 34 and you get 34, 42, 50, 58?
This would point to the column driver being the issue, my bet would have been U52 the 7408 but you already replaced that.... did you socket it and can replace it easily? Was it a straight 7408 or one of the other varieties?

It was a 74LS08 that I used for a replacement. I agree it points to a column driving issue, just don't know where to go from here. I could replace it again with a new one, but there was no change after replacing it the first time. Making me think that there was nothing wrong with the first one.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

If it’s not a board issue because you eliminated that by swapping, sounds to me like a diode issue on one of those controlled lamps.

It is a board issue, sorry If I wasn't clear on it. The board from Whirlwind works perfectly in BK2000. Lights test just like they are supposed to.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I bet that's it. Just looked at the schematic and sure enough that's a signal in common with all of the gates on the 7408.

I would agree as well, that was the first thing I replaced since it had all of the columns connected to it. Unfortunately that didn't change anything.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I mean the blanking signal Andrew referred to being missing from all or some of the gates on the 7408, not the chip itself. (i.e. broken trace, or shorted trace)

Gotcha! Thanks

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from pure_penalty:

Couldn't multiple lamps in the same column mean a return issue with one of the 7406 ICs?

I believe the returns are controlled by the 7408 and the rows are driven by the 7406. That is just what I am seeing on the print, maybe I am missing something.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

4,500 (OBO)
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kawydud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bk2000-light-matrix-issue?tu=Kawydud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.