Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mwsmith
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Ok, so I got my unhappy BK working yesterday and I can get a game started from attract mode.

The new problem is that the callouts (when they happen, which is not when they are supposed to), are wrong. There are no callouts when the game is started, when multiball is started and all the other times when there is supposed to be voice. For some of the voice callouts, I get some of the sound effects instead. When a game ends, I get the phrase you would get when you get an extra ball. Most of the callouts are just missing, for example when you hit magnasave and the ball drains, there's no evil laugh at you.

1. MPU test returns the "0"
2. Sound board test button returns the expected sounds - the first four (or five) are sound effects, followed by the vocabulary listed in the diagnostics.

I have one stuck switch, the upper right bank of drop targets, the left side. I haven't fixed that yet, but suspect that switch has been stuck a long time. The rest of the switches test fine. All the solenoids test fine. Not that it's relevant, but the displays all test fine too. All fuses are intact.

Any ideas on this one?

#2 4 years ago

Your are missing a signal to your sound chip. One of the traces is bad or the chip behind that tells the sound chip which sound to make has a bad pin. So if it send 00101110 to the sound chip the bad pin or trace is dropping one of the signals and changing it to 00101010 or something similar so it plays a different sound than intended. So you need to check your traces to the sound chip to see if one is bad or get a scope and see if you are getting a signal out of all the proper pins on the chip that sends the info to the sound chip.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

Your are missing a signal to your sound chip. One of the traces is bad or the chip behind that tells the sound chip which sound to make has a bad pin. So if it send 00101110 to the sound chip the bad pin or trace is dropping one of the signals and changing it to 00101010 or something similar so it plays a different sound than intended. So you need to check your traces to the sound chip to see if one is bad or get a scope and see if you are getting a signal out of all the proper pins on the chip that sends the info to the sound chip.

This is what is going. Usually it is a cracked solder joint on a male header pin either on the sound board or the MPU (sys 7 uses a PIA on the mpu to drive sound signals, earlier games use solenoid transistors). Some times the input buffers on the sound board get blown out. Less likely you could have a PIA issue.

#4 4 years ago

Make sure both dip switches on the sound board are set to the on position.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 50.00
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 117.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 279.95
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside