• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Grefla
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Magic Stern Electronics, 1979
#1 3 years ago

So my TIP 102 arrived and I replaced Q5 which had decided to lock on the pop bumper. Finally got the machine up and running, played a few test games and then something odd started happening - when the ball hit the standup targets, if it touched the rivet in the centre of the target it would do one of 4 things depending on which target was hit.
1. Fire a pop bumper and lock it on causing the fuse under the play field to blow.
2. Tilt
3. Cause the machine to reset, as if it had just been turned off and back on
4. fire a slingshot.

I tried a couple of things
- closing the standups with my finger - worked normally
- closing the standups with the ball touching the plastic target - worked normally
- closing the standup with my finger and then touching the ball to the rivet - did one of the bad things above
- Closing the standup with the ball touching the rivet - did one of the bad things

It's intermittent, sometimes it doesn't do this, and works completely normally, othertimes it does.

I've run out of 1A slow blow fuses now, so can't do any more testing.

I'm thinking I'll just replace the standup targets and see if that stops it. Unless anyone else recognises this behaviour and knows what is causing it.

I need to put a new connector on J3 on the solenoid board as somtimes the board doesn't initialise and there are low voltages at TP 6 and 7 and on tensioning some of the wires at J3 this sorts itself out - so I don't know if this bad behaviour could have anything to do with that?

I'll try and upload a video that I took of this stuff.

#2 3 years ago

Thanks all

#3 3 years ago

Put the playfield glass on and enjoy the game

The metal rivet on the standup is electrically connected to the switch and you're grounding it through your body (other hand touching a siderail?) causing phantom issues in the switch matrix.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Put the playfield glass on and enjoy the game
The metal rivet on the standup is electrically connected to the switch and you're grounding it through your body (other hand touching a siderail?) causing phantom issues in the switch matrix.

Ok. Will do. Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bizzare-stern-magic-behaviour?hl=grefla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.