1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mistermoberg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_2288 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2287 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2286 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_2284 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Picked it up today. Worked fine before I got it home.

Played a couple games on it.

When I replaced the batteries I started to get 2540 04 tech error. Power cycled it, got it to attract mode. Then, things got buggy and downright strange.

Player 4 scoring reel failed. Poked it, and it is fine and has been fine.

Then, mid game, reset. After another game, again, reset.

Then, after that stopped, all coils except the flippers failed. Yep - all of them.

What the hell is going on? I paid $800 for this thing, which is already a little too much for a Comet.

SeNd HeLp - FiX mY gAmE - pLz

#2 1 year ago

Guys, please help me out here.

#3 1 year ago

What have you done to troubleshoot the issue? Have you checked all of the fuses, searched for a short/crossed wires, checked out the backbox for indications that a board is out, etc?

#4 1 year ago

All fuses look good, but I'll take a meter to them now.

How would I check for a shorted or crossed wire? Same for the board?

Thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot.

#5 1 year ago

Sounds like a fuse is blown. Double check all connectors. If you changed the batteries when the game was turned off, that audit mode message is normal.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mistermoberg:

SeNd HeLp - FiX mY gAmE - pLz

Less of stuff like this. More of stuff like this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-properly-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-vids-guide

Posting pictures, testing fuses and measuring voltages will always get you help more quickly. Hundreds of great techs on here that can walk you through the issue but you need to show you are ready, willing, able to learn

Actually just ignore me. I cant even find 'Player 4 scoring reel'

#8 1 year ago

Fuses were okay, put new ones in just to be sure. Thanks for the replies so far.

boscokid - I won't ignore you, because you didn't ignore me. Obviously that last line is a joke. I apologize, I'm in panic mode. I just overpaid on a game that provides a ton of nostalgia, and at this moment, zero pinball. I am not a pin tech - many people here are. I thought simply describing the issue, it may be a no brainer to someone here. "Player 4 scoring reel," is a noob's way of saying the player four display. Come on. If I wasn't willing to learn, I won't be asking for help.

pinheadpierre - I will read that, thank you.

#9 1 year ago

Think I found my answer. I've looked at the manual and the wiring diagrams are very confusing. Is anyone able to assist me with how to fix this smoky burnt connector?

I do know how to solder, just haven't done it in years.

The smoky marks are also above the other boards. The ones on the right were there when I picked it up, I think.

pinheadpierre brypten frogman

Thanks.

IMG_2284 (resized).JPG

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#10 1 year ago

Did you get this fixed?

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Relocating_the_battery_from_the_System_9_MPU_board

Quoted from Mistermoberg:Then, mid game, reset. After another game, again, reset.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Game_resets

Quoted from Mistermoberg:

Think I found my answer.

The connector is not the problem, smoke rises, the problem is below the connector. Post a better straight on pic of this area.

Your power supply is original and needs to be rebuilt, most likely the cause of all your problems.

#11 1 year ago

I haven't changed the battery over to a cell, but I put three new ones in there. Have only had the 04 code once since.

I've included better pictures for you. As far as rebuilding the power supply, is that an expensive endeavor? Would I be better off buying a new one?

grumpy - thank you so much for your help.

IMG_2286 (resized).JPG

IMG_2287 (resized).JPG

IMG_2288 (resized).JPG

image (resized).jpg

#12 1 year ago

The original power supply is better than the after market version. To rebuild a power supply is normally @ 30.00 in parts and 2 hours labor. l would also replace the battery holder and then use a remote battery holder located down by the coin door.

#13 1 year ago

grumpy - that's awesome to know. Are you able to direct me to the proper parts on a site like Marco Specs? Thank you again very much.

#14 1 year ago

I get my caps from Ed g-p-e as he is active here on Pinside and also provides technical advice. Currently doesn't have 'kits' in stock but you can use his link to identify the individual components and add them to your cart. If you have soldered before this job should be easy.
    Always double check orders before submitting (having to order twice sucks) and double check cap polarity and values before soldering in place

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W711A-PEC-KIT

#15 1 year ago

boscokid - awesome, thank you.

1 week later
    #17 1 year ago

grumpy does excellent work. He recently rebuilt my power supply. I know how to solder but part selection and limited time equaled having grumpy do it for me. It's also a much cleaner job than I would have been able to pull off. My soldering skills are serviceable for playfield work but of questionable neatness for board work.

#18 1 year ago

Well, in that case grumpy if it's a job you're willing to take on, please send me a PM with a price quote. Thanks guys.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 146.66
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 214.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside