5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by falco
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falco.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I just posted a video of a very odd problem with a System 11 (from a Banzai Run machine, but currently running F14 ROMs) on YouTube, thought people here might be interested. Maybe someone even has some ideas on what could be causing it!

For those who prefer text or generally don't like YouTube, here's the description:

Here's a Williams system 11B (running F14 ROMs) doing weird stuff. It does this every time it's started from complete cold, reliably. It runs for a while (about 20 seconds), then locks up. After around a minute, it comes back, and resumes where it left off. It does the same thing in the machine too. If the player starts a game before it locks up, it will resume the game fine when it starts running again, it just seems to pause. the scope and counter are both connected to the main clock (pin 39 of the CPU). That seems absolutely stable.

As the problem begins, the debug LED gradually starts flashing faster. I think the attract pattern also speeds up. Eventually the LED is flashing so fast it just seems to be flickering. At about 30 seconds in the video, I cut out 50 seconds of it doing nothing. When it comes back, the LED gradually slows down, and once it reaches a reasonable speed, the attract pattern resumes. This particular run is a bit unusual - it restarts, then locks up again for a couple of seconds, then restarts again. If I power it down and then up again, the problem doesn't occur, and it seems to run perfectly reliably. A day later, it'll show the problem again.

Things I've tried: Checking over the reset circuit, in case it's browning out and doing stupid things. Replaced the CPU socket, and a few other things that looked questionable. Scoping out various other lines, which look basically OK.

This so annoying to troubleshoot. I get about one fault per day, with the outage lasting about a minute. Occasionally it recovers unexpectedly, and at times it doesn't fault at all. Last thing to check - E seems stable, but I haven't managed to get a look at it while the fault is occurring.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

How about the IRQ signal? Should be about 1 kHz. Looks like your IRQ is unstable or missing.

Ah, good idea. I'll check that. It would explain a lot - for instance, why it's able to resume absolutely fine when the IRQ comes back.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

A heat gun should be able to help find the problem quicker and reproduce it frequently. Freeze spray then could be used to make it good again.

You would have thought so, right? Neither seemed to make any noticeable difference. In particular, I thought that cooling the board to make the fault easier to reproduce would have worked. No luck. But now that I can concentrate on the IRQ support ICs, maybe cooling will prove more successful.

Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

It sounds like you have already ruled out CR1, and that would have been my first suggestion. I take it you have already ruled out the processor itself?

Yep, CR1 seems fine - both frequency and waveform are solid. Re the processor, yes - it's actually running the sound section CPU as the main CPU at the moment.

2 weeks later
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Have you solved this?

Thanks for the follow-up - I've been seriously busy over the past few weeks, so progress has been slow. There are three ICs directly below the batteries that have been affected by corrosion; the legs are discoloured. Two of those (or was it all three?) are part of the IRQ logic, so I'm guessing that's the cause. I'll cut them off and replace them, hopefully that'll sort it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Thetford Mines, QC
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 1,490.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 279.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falco.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bizarre-system-11-f14-problem?tu=falco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.