• Latest reply 7 years ago by PeteB
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_at_2016-06-03_13:33:59_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider peteb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys! Need some help here as I'm running out of options. So my Hook has this weird problem where the switch on the left ramp seems to cause some kind of break up in the audio with some nasty pops and cracks, but all other game sounds work fine. It's been doing this since I bought the game over a year ago, now it's been completely shopped and everything cleaned the game works brilliantly apart from this issue which persists.

Here's a video showing what's going on:

What you may notice is that the ramp sound plays fine the first 2 times. It seems like it doesn't start to happen until the machine has been on for a few minutes.

Here's some things I've done so far to try and fix the problem:
- replaced the switch diode (twice)
- re-burned the sound roms and the game rom
- checked and cleaned all connectors
- re-capped the entire sound board

So with the problem persisting after doing the above I'm now at a loss. Any suggestions?

#2 7 years ago

Anyone?

#4 7 years ago

I've now replaced some of the main IC chips on the sound board. Still having the same problem. Wish I could track down what is causing this.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The symptom is the incandescent rope lights pulling down the +12v power supply. The power supply is the source of the problem. If the supply drops below 9v the amplifiers on the sound board will cut out. Are you using an original power supply board? Turn the game off, remove all connectors from the power supply board except CN1 (square one), turn on, test +12v test point on the power supply board against ground with a meter. What are you getting? Now turn the game off, reconnect the remaining connectors, turn it back on in attract mode, and test again. Should be getting around 12.5v, or at least 12v.
I had this exact same problem with an X-Pin revision E board. Brett said he added a regulator to the +12v circuit, and this was malfunctioning.

You sir are a genius! Thank you!

It IS indeed the rope lights. Disconnected them and the problem vanishes. I also do indeed have an XPIN power supply which I bought brand new for the game a few months ago. I've checked it, and it's the Revision E board.

So, I'm now at a loss as what to do about it. I'm not prepared to fork out for ANOTHER XPIN power supply when this one was bought to supposedly get my game running again.

And to think I spent all that time and money replacing components on the soundboard. Grrrr!!!

1 week later
#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Update. Replaced with 18,000uf 25v of the same brand and temperature rating (85C). New readings are...
No load: 13.75v
Attract: 12.15v
Lowest point when flashing rope lights: 11.2v
A handful of games later the machine is rock solid. Looks to have solved the problem!

Amazing stuff dude! So is all of this in addition to the board fix discussed earlier in this thread?

2 months later
#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Were you able to get a solution to this?

Yeah dude! All fixed thanks to you!

1 week later
#19 7 years ago

I did all of the fixes you talked about above. Removed the VR3 regulator and replaced the capacitor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider peteb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bizarre-audio-break-up-problem-on-hook?tu=peteb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.