(Topic ID: 235443)

Bitcoin: CEO dies. Is this going to cost you money?

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RCA1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    499A9E43-3AA5-43AD-B08B-0E49011F53BB (resized).jpeg
    71B71714-9D79-4BF7-B1F3-43E68BD781CD (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/05/tech/quadriga-gerald-cotten-cryptocurrency/index.html

The death of a Canadian entrepreneur has left a huge stash of cryptocurrencies locked off from the people who own them.

Quadriga, Canada's biggest cryptocurrency exchange, said it's unable to gain access to $145 million of bitcoin and other digital assets after Gerald Cotten, its 30-year old CEO and co-founder, died of complications arising from Crohn's Disease while traveling in India.

#2 5 years ago
    71B71714-9D79-4BF7-B1F3-43E68BD781CD (resized).jpeg71B71714-9D79-4BF7-B1F3-43E68BD781CD (resized).jpeg
    #3 5 years ago

"died of complications arising from Crohn's Disease while traveling in India."

Sounds like he shit himself to death!

#4 5 years ago

Yeah I wouldn't be heading to India if I had Crohn's.

I'm kinda sick of hearing about Crypto and hope it goes away.

#5 5 years ago

This doesn’t sound suspicious at all....

#6 5 years ago

Crohns is no joke and can kill the young. Particularly if he was nowhere near a medical facility. But the circumstances makes one question. If he faked his death would he have access to everyone’s investment with that key?

#7 5 years ago

I say that he faked his own death and is sipping pinacoladas on an island with his new face.

#8 5 years ago

Hate to say it, but I agree with @thehuemanatee. If you are smart enough to create a successful crypto currency, then you’d not be dumb enough to have a system only you know how to access...there would be a group of officers in the said company. India is a place where you can purchase a death certificate...especially if you have a nasty disease like Crohns...it makes it somewhat believable. Too many red flags with this one. If he truly was the only one who had access, then he certainly had access to all the accounts.

#9 5 years ago

Isn't every transaction on the blockchain recorded on a ledger? If he tried to cash out, wouldn't it be recorded somewhere? He'd have to sell the coins to someone to cash out and that would show up on the exchange.

#10 5 years ago

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-05/crypto-exchange-founder-filed-last-will-12-days-before-he-died

Looks like Colton had his will made 12 days before his "death."

Something smells rotten in India

#11 5 years ago

Maybe his password is Bosco?

499A9E43-3AA5-43AD-B08B-0E49011F53BB (resized).jpeg499A9E43-3AA5-43AD-B08B-0E49011F53BB (resized).jpeg
    #12 5 years ago

it won't cost me a dime......

#13 5 years ago

What is Bitcoin?

2 months later
    #15 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

What is Bitcoin?

Digital currency that the mafia uses to sell/exchange goods from what I hear.

I never have found a bank that would exchange bitcoin for cash. So its value to me is $0 since I cant use it.

7 months later
    #18 4 years ago

A year later and $145 million is still locked in the Bitcoin account of a dead CEO who had the only access.

but no one knows if he is really dead.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/14/business/lawyers-exhumation-gerald-cotten-intl-scli/index.html

"Lawyers representing users of the collapsed Quadriga CX cryptocurrency exchange platform are requesting that Canadian authorities exhume and examine the body of its late founder, Gerald Cotten, to check if the person buried there is really him."

#19 4 years ago

It’s a very Interesting story. Common sense dictates that either he is still alive or that he at least gave his wife the passwords and such to the cold wallets.

I hope they do dig him up just to verify death.

#20 4 years ago

Maybe he discovered money isnt everything, he is now hindu buddhist?

#21 4 years ago

I prefer cold, hard cash, and have zero trust in crypto-shysters. Get-rich-quick merchants of the highest (by which I mean lowest) order. Even if successful, the G8 won't let it happen.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballs:

Remember how the CIA destroyed Blackberry? Superb encryption, but it was decided by the US government to destroy it.

Are you talking about the phone company? Because Apple destroyed Blackberry.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballs:

, the G8 won't let it happen

Pontiac was gone long before this.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bitcoin-ceo-dies-is-this-going-to-cost-you-money-?hl=jamesmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.