• Latest reply 5 months ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

legs splayed out (resized).JPG

#1 6 months ago

Now that I have #Hi-Hand running reliably, I’ve been playing, of course. I really thought that with my years of nudging experience the ball would be at least somewhat controllable. But it seems like it is just a game of random results. I’ve tried always shooting the ball to the same place, but even that wasn’t an effective strategy.

The rubbers are new, maybe worn ones would be more controllable.

I’ve read the story of the guy who put himself through college playing bingos. If I remember correctly, a big part of his success was choosing the right, playable machine. Maybe this one just isn’t it?

Any suggestions on nudging techniques / how to play it?

#2 6 months ago

It takes a lot of practice - I've been playing for about a decade now and still can't pocket a ball in any given hole reliably. Some, yes. Others, no.

Pushing, pulling, and twisting are all crucial skills when playing a bingo, and the skills transfer to flipper games as well. But bingos are the real nudging test.

Being able to walk a ball from one side to the other by passing across posts is an easy way to start learning. If the ball starts circling the pocket, pulling the game is usually the more effective way to pull it free.

Small twists can give the ball just enough spin to pull it free of the pockets' orbit.

And sometimes you just have a bad shot. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to save it, and you then have to adjust your strategy.

Plunge strength is huge, but once it's on the playing surface is when the real test begins. I generally try to plunge for one side or the other then move the ball where I want it to go +/- left/right.

It takes time and patience to learn how to do it well, but it's really a great feeling when you manage to scoop a ball into the -one- pocket you need for a really great win.

Ah, and newer rubbers make it far easier to bounce from post to post. The older the rubber, the less 'action' the playfield will have. There are two sizes of rubbers that will fit on the posts. You need 5/16", IIRC.

#3 6 months ago

bingopodcast, you forgot to mention the part where bingo nudgers grab the machine by the siderails, like halfway up the cabinet or wherever the ball is.

I thought I was a decent nudger, but never occurred to me to grab the game that way. No need to keep your hands anywhere near the flippers when there are no flippers.

See 1h 00m 40s mark:

#4 6 months ago

I would also consider loosening the leg bolts a tad so the game has a bit more give to it. Assuming that you can do that without compromising the safety of the game; I know they are heavy.

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I would also consider loosening the leg bolts a tad so the game has a bit more give to it. Assuming that you can do that without compromising the safety of the game; I know they are heavy.

I would recommend against that for most bingos.

Quoted from jeffc:

bingopodcast, you forgot to mention the part where bingo nudgers grab the machine by the siderails, like halfway up the cabinet or wherever the ball is.

You're totally right - following the ball down the playfield and grabbing the sides and following all the way down is a trick I learned from Vic_Camp and Steve S. There are many folks that prefer to control just via the lockbar - pushing and pulling using that as a control stick. This mostly applies to later games with a metal instruction plate or metal wrapped lockbar, but I'm sure the same principle can be applied to earlier games.

#6 6 months ago

Wow! Lots of good advice! Thank you!

If I can get good at it, I might decide not to sell it, after all.

It does sound like all that twisting and nudging would be sure to tilt the game. I'm gonna give it a try, for sure. Besides, the tilt bob is laying on the bottom of the cabinet where it belongs. Pisses me off when my own game, that I nurtured and loved, tilts on me. The ungrateful box!

First Step: gonna track down my receipts and see what size post rubbers I bought.

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

It does sound like all that twisting and nudging would be sure to tilt the game.

It might - that's the control part. Figuring out how to move the game without losing it is key.

#8 6 months ago

It will probably take more time than you want to invest to acquire that skill. I used to play the bingos maybe five hours a day seven days a week for a number of years. I found the only way it worked for me was to use the lockdown and palms to manipulate the ball. Fast and hard. Different techniques work with different machines (and for different folks). I think you may be referring to an article I wrote many years ago. My reflexes have deteriorated somewhat, to be expected. Beating the bingos is a young man's game.

#9 6 months ago

Too busy to look at the vid yet or practice. But I did look at my PBR order. The rings are the right size.

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from okorange:

I used to play the bingos maybe five hours a day seven days a week for a number of years.

So, what was your GPA? Any time to attend class ?

#11 6 months ago

Yes I attended class for a few years. GPA was high. Started playing bingos almost full time. Changed majors from math and after a few years ended up with a CPA. I studied probability and statistics and gambling is the only reason anyone played bingos seriously. I admit I lost some career time but so what? I have stories you can't get in school! BTW no offense taken at your comment. Just saying what happened.

#12 6 months ago

No worries. I was just being funny.

#13 5 months ago

I guess Williams was on to your tricks. Look at how these bingo legs are splayed out, next to a 1964 Williams game's legs.

legs splayed out (resized).JPG
#14 5 months ago

Go to link below and read what works for me as player to scoring 100's of in line wins for replays.

http://danny.cdyn.com/viccamp.htm

#15 5 months ago

Vic_Camp
Thank you. I am hooking up a counter to keep track of how many dimes it takes me to get decent on it.

This is a poker themed game. Two pair seems average - random. So if I can get trips or better more often than not, I’ll consider myself a winner.

#16 5 months ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I thought I was a decent nudger, but never occurred to me to grab the game that way. No need to keep your hands anywhere near the flippers when there are no flippers.
See 1h 00m 40s mark:

love to see someone grab the playfield and work their way down!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside