4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bingopodcast
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 67 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Bingos_002_(resized).jpg
    Aug_trip_080_(resized).jpg
    YorkShow2015_064.jpg
    463319.jpg
    YorkShow2015_053.jpg
    462871.jpg
    IMG_20150924_213036.jpg
    YorkShow2015_047.jpg
    466180-i.jpg
    YorkShow2015_055.jpg
    YorkShow2015_063.jpg
    YorkShow2015_054.jpg
    IMG_20151010_122415.jpg
    IMG_20151009_182756.jpg
    YorkShow2015_059.jpg
    YorkShow2015_058.jpg

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

"Inside your bingo" is a fantastic resource as it tells you expected behavior.

I would also recommend the schematics and manuals at bingo.cdyn.com - I started there, and would study circuits on the schematics until I understood their purpose (there's always plenty more to learn, though!). The fantastic manuals that came with the machines (also on bingo.cdyn.com, Phil Hooper's site), are incredible resources. They diagram each unit, and provide schematic locations for each switch, along with what the switches do when actuated.

And really, feel free to ask questions. I love to talk about bingos, and love to talk about tech.

#52 4 years ago

How many hours does it take to free up all the stepper motors on average?

#53 4 years ago

I take each stepper apart, clean, lubricate, then reassemble. Each stepper, done properly and tested (step up/reset or step down from each position), takes about 15 - 30 minutes, depending on the issues.

Depending on the game, if there is triple deck scoring (separate red, green, and yellow odds), and if there are multiple cards with their own replay counters, this can take upwards of 5 hours. Not too bad, considering that the majority of problems are with funky steppers in a typical bingo.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

How many hours does it take to free up all the stepper motors on average?

It might be a good idea to buy a working bingo for someone who is looking to add a bingo pinball machine to their collection for the first time,especially if they are not a very good trouble-shooting EM repair person.This will jump start them to learning and knowing about these wonderful machines.

I wouldn't advise someone to take on a bingo that has been sitting for years or a bingo with many issues that might need a lot of work to get going. I actually have 8 working bingo pinball machine for sale at the present time and two are magic screen games.If you search long enough they can be found in working order.

If you can't find a working game then the next best thing is to buy a game from someone that had one in their home or collection that use to work and might not need much after you inspected the game.

Maybe it's time for a podcast about buying a bingo for the first and what steps to take?

#55 4 years ago

Good idea, I have been messing with EM pins for the last couple of years so I have a bit of insight on the basics ..... but yes, I have seen the guts of a bingo & it look daunting. I have a line on a couple that have been stored properly ...

#56 4 years ago

Vic, actually I've done one way back at episode 25. I've seen photos and talked to Vic about those games he's selling - they are really good deals for someone looking to get started. The fact that they are working as well? Takes the cake.

Dasvis, yes, they can seem daunting at first glance. But looking closer, you'll notice that many of the units have multiple twin units close by. This is very handy to note when doing your first tear down.

The control unit and mixer units are very foreign looking to a seasoned EM repair person, but really they function like score motors, and are very similar to Bally EM score motors. In fact, it is really not that large of a leap if you've worked on a Bally EM flipper game to move to a bingo (at least in my opinion).

If you have repaired or restored an EM, you can certainly tackle a bingo. Patience and perseverance!

#57 4 years ago

A bingo shop-out is the same principle as any other game.

It's important to understand what the game is suppose to do then how the machine itself makes these things happen.

I recommend getting the game working first ... THEN start your shop-out. You can check behind yourself to make sure what you worked on is still doing what it should.

A side note - these extra parts mean extra chances of screwing up something ELSE when poking around in there (like snagging an adjacent leaf switch).

You eat an elephant one bite at a time ... with these it's just more bites are needed.

#59 4 years ago

Wow - Beach Time, Hi-Fi, Variety, Show Time, Beach Beauty, Key West, Gay Time and one other I cannot identify... very cool!

Edit: Found another pic that showed it - the first Miss America!

#60 4 years ago

Did anyone complain that it displaced A list games that "should" have been at the show?

I think this is awesome and good historical exposure to different types of pinball games. Last year's Expo with 50+ EMs received some grumbling that this could have displaced "better" games.

Wish i was closer

-c

#61 4 years ago

Craig, no, there were plenty of 'A' titles from all eras at York (including 'A' bingos).

#62 4 years ago

466180-i.jpg

I stole Vic's pic of Double-Up (thanks Vic!), as I didn't have a better one at the show.

Double-Up was my first bingo. It's a 20 hole playfield, so a different form of gameplay from the typical 25 hole bingos. I love when the Double lights in one of the color sections, then I earn the player-controlled doubling feature... This allow me to earn quadruple the replays in that color (a max of 2400 from one game). I enjoy the player-controlled moving numbers feature (Mystic Lines), but the playfield layout makes it very challenging!

Double-Up by itself had over 1000 plays on it over the weekend! I only took photos of the meters on Ticker Tape and Double-Up, unfortunately.

#63 4 years ago

Nick.....here's a nice side shot of the Double Up.

YorkShow2015 047.JPG

#64 4 years ago

Nick,
    So glad you brought your Double Up. I have been wanting to play a 20 hole bingo for a long time. I find the playfield layout better than the Miss Universe which has 18 holes and felt more comfortable nudging the game around the playfield for in line hits.

I really didn't get a good feel for the game because i was distracted with all 13 bingos lined up like thoro-bred horses and wanting to play them all threw me off from concentrating. Bally made some real good 20 hole bingos and some day hope to play some other ones.

#65 4 years ago

Absolutely! I was very happy to see you play the game. I agree about nudging the 20 hole playfield. I find that hole #20 is very easy to consistently hit. 20 is in the yellow section, so I try to build up my yellow odds, and get the score selector feature. Earning double odds is satisfying! Much more so if you get the random award. Here's a shot of a recent 4 in yellow. I had the mystic lines lit so was able to move #20 up (didn't get it on this one, after all that build up!)

IMG_20150924_213036.jpg

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

Did anyone complain that it displaced A list games that "should" have been at the show?
    I think this is awesome and good historical exposure to different types of pinball games. Last year's Expo with 50+ EMs received some grumbling that this could have displaced "better" games.
    Wish i was closer
    -c

I'm pretty sure whatever people were bringing got into the show even if there wasn't any room, people would have gotten there with their machines and not somehow gauged the surroundings and not bring them beforehand (no way to tell), they were already in their vehicles and everything of course if that's what you meant. How is this a complaint that people have?

Lots of room for all machines. I think there were many "A" titles there this year across all spectrums, for sure.

#67 4 years ago

462871.jpg (This was the best pic that I had of Ticker Tape at York!)

Ticker Tape is a 1970's 6 card bingo with "Double or Nothing", corners scoring, and super lines.

Very fast 5 ball game, with corners and super lines awarded at random as you coin up.

When you have a 3, 4 or 5 in a line hit on any card, pressing 'C' to collect will search all the possible winning combinations on each card. When it finds a winning combination, the machine will click to a halt, and flash 'Double or Nothing' on the backglass. Pressing the D button gives you a chance for double the normal amount of replays based on your hit, and pressing R collects the normal amount.

My daughter's favorite game.

#68 4 years ago

If anyone is interested, I have 6 Bally Magic Screen Bingo's in storage that I wouldn't mind selling. I believe there is 2 Bikinis, 2 LIDO's, County Fair and a Malibu Beach. Others I had gotten with this batch years ago all worked but will need some cabinet work as they were drill proofed (or at least were noisy if tried).

#69 4 years ago

Here a picture of your Ticker Tape from Bingo Row.

YorkShow2015 053.JPG

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from WIZ:

If anyone is interested, I have 6 Bally Magic Screen Bingo's in storage that I wouldn't mind selling. I believe there is 2 Bikinis, 2 LIDO's, County Fair and a Malibu Beach. Others I had gotten with this batch years ago all worked but will need some cabinet work as they were drill proofed (or at least were noisy if tried).

May I ask where the games are located?

#71 4 years ago

463319.jpg

(Vic, cribbed your pic again)

Gay Time - I purchased a few months ago from Vic himself! This game got a tremendous amount of play while at the show, and for a couple of great reasons:

The artwork is gorgeous - cabinet, backglass and playfield are all exceptional.

The gameplay is phenomenal - 4 columns of magic lines which allow you to reposition each column up or down one number independently. Aside from this, this game is one of only two that Bally produced with the Magic Pockets feature. This allows you to physically reposition the top row of balls (1-7). The game will actually kick the ball left and right and allows for some really interesting gameplay strategies! It can also spot the numbers 10 or 25 - 25 is a huge help as it is in the one column that the Magic Lines cannot move. Note that each of these features is earned independently! You may very well have a game with Magic Pockets lit, but are only able to reposition the first two columns of numbers via Magic Lines. Topping all this off is the ability to land 3 in a row in yellow or red and earn 4 in a row!

This game pulls in more new bingo players than any other in my collection at home, so I was not surprised that folks gravitated to it. This was the machine where I did most of my bingo tutorials, as I like to start beginners off with a less complex game than a Magic Screen. People would try for a four in a line for a while, leave, and come back over and over to this machine.

It was a great addition to the Bingo Row, and is a great addition to my collection. Thanks again, Vic!

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from WIZ:

Wiz,

Could you tell me more about the Bikinis.

Steve J.

#73 4 years ago

Nick.....Gay Time is one of my favorite bingos to play and can always end up winning some replays or getting a five in a line, if I have most of the features lit, at the start of the game. I would have done real well on this bingo, if I ever had a chance to play it on route.

#74 4 years ago

Here's another picture of your beautiful condition Gay Time.

YorkShow2015 064.JPG

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I'm pretty sure whatever people were bringing got into the show even if there wasn't any room, people would have gotten there with their machines and not somehow gauged the surroundings and not bring them beforehand (no way to tell), they were already in their vehicles and everything of course if that's what you meant. How is this a complaint that people have?
    Lots of room for all machines. I think there were many "A" titles there this year across all spectrums, for sure.

Last year's expo there was some grumbling that there were too many em games there. I found it funny, and short sighted that done people would react this way. I'm glad three was positive vibes around this, and I hope to see a row of bingos in my lifetime to learn what they're all about.

-c

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

Last year's Expo with 50+ EMs received some grumbling that this could have displaced "better" games.

God, I hope the tides don't turn that way for York. A huge reason I'm planning a trip there next year is because it's NOT a show full of "A-listers." I have nothing against them, but I'd much rather see something I've never played before, and the EM presence is a huge draw for why I'm planning an interstate trip!

Quoted from WIZ:

I have 6 Bally Magic Screen Bingo's in storage that I wouldn't mind selling.

Quoted from Chet:

May I ask where the games are located?

+1

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

God, I hope the tides don't turn that way for York. A huge reason I'm planning a trip there next year is because it's NOT a show full of "A-listers." I have nothing against them, but I'd much rather see something I've never played before, and the EM presence is a huge draw for why I'm planning an interstate trip!

100% agree. why play games that you have played to death already when you can play and compete on something new.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

Last year's expo there was some grumbling that there were too many em games there. I found it funny, and short sighted that done people would react this way. I'm glad three was positive vibes around this, and I hope to see a row of bingos in my lifetime to learn what they're all about.
    -c

The best time to start learning about the bingo pinball machine is now. There is a ton of information out here at the present time.
    Great place to go is bingo.cdyn

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

The best time to start learning about the bingo pinball machine is now. There is a ton of information out here at the present time.
    Great place to go is bingo.cdyn

Lots of good information on the site, plus discussion threads and Nck's Podcast are great and help alot. Now I just need to find one close enough for me to actually see and play!

#80 4 years ago

Here is another interesting bingo pinball website that is packed with tons of cool information.
    http://danny.cdyn.com/Misc%20Bingo.htm

2 months later
    #81 4 years ago

Very interesting thread. That row at the show is really something ! Might be tough to equal in the future. Living in Wisconsin I don't know if I would make it out that way - If word is that even 1 Bingo shows up at a future Expo - I will be there for sure !

I have been exploring the Bingo area - I think I definitely would like to add one to my collection. I have a pretty nice line of EM's and I'd like to add a Bingo soon.

Thanks for sharing such great stuff here in this thread. All I can say is WOW

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

If word is that even 1 Bingo shows up at a future Expo - I will be there for sure !

I'm sure BingoPodcast will chime-in with more accurate information (as he was the driving force behind York's 2015 Bingo Row), but I know they're planning another Bingo Row for this year. How it will compare to 2015 remains to be seen, but seeing "The Row" take shape is a large part of why I'm planning my trip to York (from Michigan...not too much closer than WI) this year.

See ya there?

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Very interesting thread. That row at the show is really something ! Might be tough to equal in the future. Living in Wisconsin I don't know if I would make it out that way - If word is that even 1 Bingo shows up at a future Expo - I will be there for sure !
    I have been exploring the Bingo area - I think I definitely would like to add one to my collection. I have a pretty nice line of EM's and I'd like to add a Bingo soon.
    Thanks for sharing such great stuff here in this thread. All I can say is WOW

It's so good to hear about your interest in a bingo pinball. There are so many out there available. If you need help locating one, just ask. There are warehouses full of them everywhere.

Aug_trip_080_(resized).jpg

#84 4 years ago

OK Vic. I would like to see if I can find one locally, but if not, I may need to enlist some help ! This is going on the pinball To Do List for me.
    I have been watching some videos and surfing the net and ordered the Bally Bingo Pinball Machines book today.

#85 4 years ago

If you haven't been on this site already...check it out. Also there visit Danny Leach's webpages.
    http://bingo.cdyn.com/

Bingos_002_(resized).jpg

#86 4 years ago

Thanks Vic. A lot to learn and then some. Took a quick look - there is tons of great information to explore and digest. Great Resource.

#87 4 years ago

Hey NoQuarters, I am really excited to hear of your interest in owning one of these great machines. Each machine is appealing for a wide variety of reasons.

We (Vic, Jim, myself, Steve, Pete, and several others) really tried our hardest to put together a fantastic row of bingos with a huge variety of features and play mechanics this last year. This coming year, I'd like to keep it rolling, however, I am likely not going to bring six! I am hoping to recruit some more folks that wish to bring bingos for 2016's bingo row. Thus far, we have a couple of commitments, and a couple of 'maybes', but it's looking like we will have about six or so per day.

Keep in mind that, traditionally, at York you are most likely to find a nice variety of bingos to play - Jeffrey Lawton, the man who wrote the book you purchased (good job!) normally brings two-three.

I am so thankful for all the folks who participated in bringing their games, helping set up, tear down, and load, getting the word out, and playing. I think 2015 was a great success overall, and hope to see some of those new bingo players back in 2016 to get acquainted with new machines.

I really could not have done my part without any of the other folks. It was a huge team effort, and it really paid off. Still puts a smile on my face to think about it!

Not to self-promote too much, but if you haven't given me a listen at http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com - I talk quite a bit about bingos! I had a much more varied show when the podcast began, but over time I've really drifted into giving overviews on each of the bingos in chronological order. I think this is a neat way to listen to the evolution of these games, as Bally (and United) really innovated to draw in players and keep them excited. If you'd like to hear Vic talk about these games with me, he and I have had several shows together. I also did a small series on the bingo row. (Ad over)

Shooting the ball, pushing the machine, getting just the right number lined up for a 5-in-a-row (without tilting)! It's an excellent feeling, and requires quite a bit of skill.

I am always happy to answer questions, so if you have any thoughts on a game you'd like and if you'd like to know anything in particular, feel free to ask me.

#88 4 years ago

Quite the effort putting together the Bingo row at York ! Glad to hear it may continue in the future. Very good information in this thread and nice that there are directions to look for information. Much appreciated. If I have questions I sure will ask. Thanks !

#89 4 years ago

Nick, are there any good Bingo only web sites that I am missing besides the CDYN site & Bingos in Brittan?
    (& of course your podcast)

#90 4 years ago

dasvis: The best sites are as these -

http://danny.cdyn.com - Danny shares a TON of stories and history of machines in all parts of the world and has a true passion for bingos. Solid state, EM, outlawing of the games, articles about Bally trying to keep up with a changing legal landscape - it's all there. He also has player histories and essays about various game strategies. Vic has contributed quite a bit to Danny's essay section (Vic is the best player I know).

http://bingo.cdyn.com - This is the best_ technical reference I've ever used. I reference this site all the time when helping myself or folks with problems. Phil Hooper runs this site and has included technical drawings of undocumented units, manuals and schematics for almost all known machines - including mid-run production changes. He also has very detailed information about how to troubleshoot or disassemble most of the units in the game, their functions within, common problems, etc. Invaluable. Phil also has a great sense of humor.

http://www.ballybingo.co.uk/ - Chris Dade's site. Chris has scanned and touched up most of the backglass and many playfields for use as replacement translites. He also runs the Bally Bingos in Britain forums, which you reference above. This is a very useful resource - lots of knowledgeable folks across the pond. Some history and excellent pics on Chris' site.

http://www.coos.net/bingo_e/index.html - Coos' bingo site - he is a restoration expert from the Netherlands. He has figured out a way to screen new backglasses using mirrored inks, and produces beautiful new translites. Check out some of his restoration work.

http://www.oldbinger.com/gallery.htm - The premier American restoration expert, Hugh Kown. The man is an amazing technician, and does fantastic work.

http://www.bingo.joopriem.nl/ - Bally bingo computer simulations. Joop is a very nice guy and has lovingly produced several machines - Bounty, Magic Ring, Showtime and more! He's adding more on a regular schedule, too! These are not the same as a real machine, but the next best thing.

http://s841.photobucket.com/user/Cabinut/slideshow/Bikini%20Bingo%20Pinball%20Restoration/?albumview=slideshow - This is my friend Steve Smith's slideshow about restoring his Bikini (he brought the beautiful Golden Gate to the bingo row). He also does amazing work.

http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com - my show! I can't ever stop talking about these games.

I think that's all at the moment.

-Nick

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 399.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Bent Mods
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    $ 89.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside