By viper001

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (resized).jpg
MV5BMzM4NjY1NDg0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEzNDUwNA@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_ (resized).jpg
29246C2C-088E-4318-B9ED-A14A323B842F (resized).jpeg
E51CB097-D528-4586-ADB4-47AA299DB4E4 (resized).jpeg
GettyImages-589153818-920x584 (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
15238166924231165330974 (resized).jpg
thumbnail (resized).jpeg
4158372113_d3fd83653e (resized).jpg
afp_537913321_70876502 (resized).jpg
roy_shildt_guarding_missile_command_8_7_2005b (resized).JPG
download (3) (resized).jpg
hoodie (resized).jpg
jb (resized).jpg
speedmaybe_by_doctormoodb-db2qx1s.gif
55b13b872acae719008b95ca-750-375 (resized).jpg
There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#3 6 years ago

Funny I watched one youtube vid on this topic like a month ago and wow, what a f-ing rabbit hole that turned out to be.
It's almost like recording yourself playing a video game at home isn't the best way to award records eh?
I forgot the name of the guy that got caught with a shit ton of records all faked but that was good stuff.

#4 6 years ago

MpD2G8U5VrPDA5vx3CvDV9 (resized).jpgMpD2G8U5VrPDA5vx3CvDV9 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

55b13b872acae719008b95ca-750-375 (resized).jpg55b13b872acae719008b95ca-750-375 (resized).jpg
" The FireBlaster"

#6 6 years ago

He looks like a skinny Chewbacca.

#7 6 years ago

Sorry as I do not know this, but with mame is it the settings that can differ or pausing the game ?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Sorry as I do not know this, but with mame is it the settings that can differ or pausing the game ?

settings, pausing, frame rate, creating save states. You can play every level 1,000 times and then stitch together a single video to make it look like a single play through.

#9 6 years ago

He is a nice guy and I don't know enough to judge him. Sad

#10 6 years ago

https://kotaku.com/guinness-officially-nixes-todd-rogers-dragster-records-1822568394

This is the guy I was referring to. He had like a ton of records that were just flat out lies...I think the person that accepted the records was workign with him. Anyway, his Dragster score was proven to be impossible to get.

More info...pretty interesting stuff actually that I don't know anything aboot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/01/29/a-man-accused-of-cheating-at-video-games-may-lose-his-decades-old-guinness-world-record/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0726ddae8dfc

#11 6 years ago

speedmaybe_by_doctormoodb-db2qx1s.gifspeedmaybe_by_doctormoodb-db2qx1s.gif

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

settings, pausing, frame rate, creating save states. You can play every level 1,000 times and then stitch together a single video to make it look like a single play through.

Thanks!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

https://kotaku.com/guinness-officially-nixes-todd-rogers-dragster-records-1822568394
This is the guy I was referring to. He had like a ton of records that were just flat out lies...I think the person that accepted the records was workign with him. Anyway, his Dragster score was proven to be impossible to get.
More info...pretty interesting stuff actually that I don't know anything aboot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/01/29/a-man-accused-of-cheating-at-video-games-may-lose-his-decades-old-guinness-world-record/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0726ddae8dfc

You know the referee that witnessed some of Billy's scores? Todd Rogers.

#14 6 years ago

Unsure how I feel. Walter Day and Billy Mitchell over time and through the documentaries seem to be close friends. Wonder if this changes that. I met both of them at the RMPinball showdown a few years ago and thought they were genuine people. Billy Mitchell seemed like nice guy (albeit knowingly arrogant). Both of them shared some insight on how both documentarians didn't fairly represent what actually happened. Both edited and represented a POV to paint Billy as the bad guy because it made the real story more dramatic.

It would seem that the issue here is a technicality vs an intentional exploit. Honestly I can care less, but clearly to some it REALLY matters. I only feel bad for Billy because he seems to be one that does care about the record and that those docs unfairly painted him in a bad light.

If Billy's the player he claims, and it matters enough, he'll probably reafirm his place within the new parameters.

#15 6 years ago

"In investigating the allegations against Mitchell, first brought up when Jeremy Young filed a dispute in February, the group “meticulously tested and investigated the dispute case assertions as well as a number of relevant contingent factors.” They also say that at least two different third parties conducted their own explorations and came to identical conclusions. “Additionally,” according to the statement, “during the evidence gathering period of this dispute, numerous experts, hobbyists, and casual observers participated and contributed to this investigation."

Jeezus.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

You know the referee that witnessed some of Billy's scores? Todd Rogers.

Ahhhh...thanks!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Walter Day and Billy Mitchell over time and through the documentaries seem to be close friends.

This is part of the reason why it took so long to take down his records. It's been questioned for a long time. Billy was also funding Twin Galaxies at some point.

Quoted from VacFink:

It would seem that the issue here is a technicality vs an intentional exploit.

The record is specifically for playing on an arcade cabinet, and his records were done on an emulator. He very intentionally lied about it.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

They also say that at least two different third parties conducted their own explorations and came to identical conclusions.

IMO, you missed the best part of that: "Most notable was the 3rd party (Carlos Pinerio) that Billy Mitchell engaged to help examine the dispute case claims on his behalf, utilizing whatever original equipment Billy could provide, whose final finding was consistent with Twin Galaxies investigation and others."

#19 6 years ago

So do you guys think he will do any jail time?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ha...LET THEM TRY!

jb (resized).jpgjb (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

It took them this long to figure out that he was cheating

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

O-din,How's it going buddy??

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

It took them this long to figure out that he was cheating

I think the problem is; he's really good. He can still show up to events and put up kick ass scores and shiz like that but the tip top scores they always fake add more.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's almost like recording yourself playing a video game at home isn't the best way to award records eh?

This. Any certification exams I take for IT have me going into a proctored environment. I am surprised they don't have you attempt records on sanctioned DK cabinets with game officials, etc.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

O-din,How's it going buddy??

Great! I feel like a 20 year old today. Thanks for asking.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think the problem is; he's really good. He can still show up to events and put up kick ass scores and shiz like that but the tip top scores they always fake add more.

Could very well be,I would like to watch 'Fist full of quarters" again,it was pretty good.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Great! I feel like a 20 year old today. Thanks for asking.

Haha!! That's great,Same here..

#28 6 years ago

Hmmm. I wonder if Billy and Walter will be at the Houston Arcade and Pinball Expo this coming Oct?

#29 6 years ago

Its threads like these that really make me feel like a nerd. This seems like a lot of shit all for a high score on a game.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Hmmm. I wonder if Billy and Walter will be at the Houston Arcade and Pinball Expo this coming Oct?

Probably not

#31 6 years ago

I heard his hot sauce is relabeled Frank's

#32 6 years ago

I'm not sure what is says about society when there is corruption in the world of video game high scores ...

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Its threads like these that really make me feel like a nerd. This seems like a lot of shit all for a high score on a game.

Billy markets himself real well. This means more than just a score to him. Besides selling hot sauce he makes his money being "Billy Mitchell"

#34 6 years ago

He probably plays his pins with the glass off.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I heard his hot sauce is relabeled Frank's

Ummm....it's pretty close. My guess would be franks mixed with Chalula

#36 6 years ago

Billy, billy, billy.....maybe he will finally get a haircut!

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

He probably plays his pins with the glass off.

Hahaha!!! Make sure Billy stays away from your Pins!! Haha!!!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Billy, billy, billy.....maybe he will finally get a haircut!

Oh no!! That's how he picks up HOT chicks.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Oh no!! That's how he picks up HOT chicks.

If he ever loses his hair he could always go pick up an Extreme pinball machine.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha...LET THEM TRY!

Did you take this image from a REAL arcade machine?

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If he ever loses his hair he could always go pick up an Extreme pinball machine.

Haha!!

#42 6 years ago

not sure why he felt the need to cheat. He was a top tier player already. Like someone else said I feel like such a nerd for even knowing this story.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Did you take this image from a REAL arcade machine?

Yes it is not fake. I think

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ummm....it's pretty close. My guess would be franks mixed with Chalula

My wife and I met him at Free Play Florida last year. He seemed like an alright guy. He asked what kind of hot sauce we typically use, I said "Frank's" and he went on to explain, in detail, how his was superior to Frank's. I forget what exactly he said the difference was, something about how they do the peppers differently, and use less vinegar or something, but anyway he ended up giving us a bottle. It was pretty good for hot sauce, but not "Oh my God! This is the only hot sauce I want now and forever" good.

#45 6 years ago

It's pretty shitty he's not allowed to compete for records anymore.

#46 6 years ago

What does this news do to the value of these?

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

It's pretty shitty he's not allowed to compete for records anymore.

It would be if it wasn't how they treated competitors found to be cheating in most sports.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

What does this news do to the value of these?

The price just skyrocketed!!!.....

#49 6 years ago

No. Hoodie. Required.

Quoted from Blitzburgh99:Billy, billy, billy.....maybe he will finally get a haircut!

hoodie (resized).jpghoodie (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago

Anyone should be allowed to compete in a live setting. No video submissions should be accepted for records....maybe an asterisk and special section dedicated to submitted but unverified high scores.

In Billy’s case we know he can put up monster scores and compete in live settings. You can’t fake that if the machine has been verified and a proper judge witnessed the event.

There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/billy-mitchell-stripped-of-donkey-kong-record?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.