By viper001

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (resized).jpg
MV5BMzM4NjY1NDg0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEzNDUwNA@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_ (resized).jpg
29246C2C-088E-4318-B9ED-A14A323B842F (resized).jpeg
E51CB097-D528-4586-ADB4-47AA299DB4E4 (resized).jpeg
GettyImages-589153818-920x584 (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
15238166924231165330974 (resized).jpg
thumbnail (resized).jpeg
4158372113_d3fd83653e (resized).jpg
afp_537913321_70876502 (resized).jpg
roy_shildt_guarding_missile_command_8_7_2005b (resized).JPG
download (3) (resized).jpg
hoodie (resized).jpg
jb (resized).jpg
speedmaybe_by_doctormoodb-db2qx1s.gif
55b13b872acae719008b95ca-750-375 (resized).jpg
There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago

Richie Knucklez said that Billy Mitchell will be making a statement this weekend at MGC! So we shall see...

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from TiltDis:

Billy Mitchell will be making a statement this weekend at MGC!

download (3) (resized).jpgdownload (3) (resized).jpg

#53 6 years ago

Haha!! Nixon said he can be a crook if he wanted to because "I'm The President that's why"

#54 6 years ago

This moves me up 1 in the standings

#55 6 years ago

Hopefully, my Captain Awesome comicbook of how to pick up chicks goes up in value.

roy_shildt_guarding_missile_command_8_7_2005b (resized).JPGroy_shildt_guarding_missile_command_8_7_2005b (resized).JPG

#56 6 years ago

Title should be changed stripped of ALL records.

First time I watched King of Kong I felt really bad for Steve as it seemed his record was so short lived. And to see that it was from cheating. Dang.

So I guess that movie persona depicted of the villian was a little more accurate than just a movie thing.

Well he may as well get a haircut and retire the tie it's game over man.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Haha!! Nixon said he can be a crook if he wanted to because "I'm The President that's why"

My Dad used to say, “Nixon never did anything to me.”

#58 6 years ago

afp_537913321_70876502 (resized).jpgafp_537913321_70876502 (resized).jpg

#59 6 years ago

The real crook is Twin Galaxies! Worthless piece of crap! Walter should put on his Depends and shut down shop.

#60 6 years ago

Billy Mitchell Donkey Punched.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Hmmm. I wonder if Billy and Walter will be at the Houston Arcade and Pinball Expo this coming Oct?

There's gonna be wrestling at SFGE. I'd pay a little extra to see them in the ring.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

You can’t fake that if the machine has been verified and a proper judge witnessed the event.

It sounds like Twin Galaxies has a problem with official events and judges, too, as it's my understanding so many of Todd Rogers' illegitimate scores were verified by official refs, some of which were supposedly done at events. Twin Galaxies needs a complete replacement, something like highscore.com. I won't pretend HS doesn't have problems with cheaters, but they seemingly have no problem calling them out (unlike Twin Galaxies... seriously, these scores stood for waaaaay too long).

As long as we're not talking a high profile world record like DK, I'm okay with video shot at home as long as they do one take (no cuts) and remove the camera from the tripod to clearly show the PCB connected to the cabinet and screen they're playing on. The board might be suspect, but you could rule out MAME at the very least. Streaming live on Twitch is even better than video, but there are cheaters there, too.

I almost feel bad for Mitchell because he was a good player and at least some of the scores removed are legit. I mean, I'm not going to lose sleep over it or anything, but I still believe he was (probably) the first to get a perfect Pac-Man. Someone on Reddit's speedrun sub pointed out that Steve Weibe is now the first person to get a million points on DK, though, so I guess that's a silver lining.

#63 6 years ago

Something a lot of people are missing is that his first 1 million point score was in the top 99th percentile for RNG on points from barrel smashes. I think someone in the TG thread said the current record is only in like the top 70th percentile or something. Apparently his play style for scoring points was completely different than the current method of scoring over a million points. He completely relied on RNG barrels. That fact along with the fact it was proven he used MAME is highly suggestive he used save states, input recording, and playback features that are in MAME.

There is no doubt in my mind he outright cheated. There would have been no reason for him to use mame unless he was going all out to cheat using features only MAME would provide him.

#64 6 years ago

He’s gone on record in several interviews saying that he’s never played games on MAME when asked directly. He got caught and kept lying to cover it up. He should be banned for life just for that alone.

#65 6 years ago

but why? why live knowing your title is based on a lie?

earth people suck! i'm moving to mars!

#67 6 years ago

Wonder??
if he's gonna start a podcast now to claim he did no wrong and think he is still valued member in the hobby.
(Insert head2head laugh track)

#68 6 years ago

Since we're talking about all this, I'm interested in knowing if benheck was filled with cringe or awkwardness with filming the Todd Rodgers stuff or not. Maybe retroactively?

It was a cool build, too.

#69 6 years ago

Billy was at arcade expo last month for a Donkey Kong-Off comp. Anyways I noticed the entire bank of Donkey Longs all had 'No MAME' stickers on them. Wondering if that was common or just to rub it in his face.

#70 6 years ago

This situation reminds me of the dust up in bowling a little over a decade ago. The USBC sanctioned not just one but TWO 900 series bowled by a teen bowler with no witnesses. He was prebowling by himself at his family’s lanes. He also claimed to have bowled a third 900 series, again by himself, for a different league but they didn’t sanction that one, and he told people he’d bowled two more in practice.

Mind you, this is the same league that still refuses to sanction Glenn Allison’s first-ever 900 series, bowled in front of a huge crowd, because the “oil pattern was too favorable” or something ridiculous like that.

The fallout was that the league allowed the two awards to stand, but changed the rules. The bowler went from getting 900’s and 300’s “regularly” to being a low ranked pro on the circuit once he could no longer bowl by himself with no witnesses.

I didn’t realize that the Donkey Kong records, etc, weren’t logged under more controlled conditions. I thought they’d all occurred during publicly monitored events. It’s a shame, bc much like the bowling example above, many people who legitimately earned their scores were overlooked bc of these fraudulent scores.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Well he may as well get a haircut and retire the tie it's game over man.

Honestly I don't care about competitive arcade records at all, and I've never met the guy in person. But I have to admit every time I see him in a photograph giving the thumbs up and still sporting that 1984 hair parted down the middle it kind of makes me happy, like I'm seeing a living link to my teenager years. I get the same feeling when I see commercials with Cindy Lauper where she is still sporting the cotton candy colored hair and singing her 80's hits to dozens of her fans, albeit while batting skin syphilis or whatever disease she apparently has now...

#72 6 years ago

New Ref?

4158372113_d3fd83653e (resized).jpg4158372113_d3fd83653e (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago

"King of Con" is his new title

#74 6 years ago

Nerd Watergate...

#75 6 years ago

Now I know why his hot sauce wasn’t that authentic/delicious. Emulation was the secret ingredient.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Since we're talking about all this, I'm interested in knowing if benheck was filled with cringe or awkwardness with filming the Todd Rodgers stuff or not. Maybe retroactively?
It was a cool build, too.

I was thinking the same thing. Once Ben couldn't get it to happen like he did, everyone knew that record was bogus.

#77 6 years ago

I thought Twin Galxaies was sold several years ago and Walter was no longer running it. I assumed he just did appearances now. Anyone else read it hear this?

I commented in an FB thread about this recent news. I met Billy at the RMPS 2016. He was friendly and very generous with his time around the kids. He played several games with my son, took pictures and gave him tips. He did a 2 player game and then let my son (then eight) play his extra lives on a high board level while giving him tips.

KoK was a great film, but not really worthy of documentary status. It had an agenda and a theme. Billy came across as a jerk. He sure didn’t display that behavior when I met him.

I was sad to see this news.

#78 6 years ago

Wow, just think of all the $$ he lost from commercial endorsements.

No one cares about high scores from the 80s, it's all about eSports and real competitive, multiplayer online games now.

#79 6 years ago

Billy & Walter were just announced for SFGE, might be interesting...

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Nerd Watergate...

I know, really? This is all over a Donkey Kong score.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I thought Twin Galxaies was sold several years ago and Walter was no longer running it. I assumed he just did appearances now. Anyone else read it hear this?

This is correct. As TG's first change under its new management, all record attempts are now adjudicated by _members_ in a completely open and transparent process, not by referees out of sight in a back room somewhere.

As the second step in that reconfiguration, members are now allowed to dispute previous scores by providing evidence of illegalities, which is (again) adjudicated by members. That's the process under which Todd's and Billy's long histories, abetted by winks and nods from previous TG management, were finally dealt with.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

There's gonna be some wrastlin'...

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Now I know why his hot sauce wasn’t that authentic/delicious. Emulation was the secret ingredient.

underrated post.

Richard

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Billy was at arcade expo last month for a Donkey Kong-Off comp. Anyways I noticed the entire bank of Donkey Longs all had 'No MAME' stickers on them. Wondering if that was common or just to rub it in his face.

It was intentional with fun in mind. Billy's a friend of mine and I play in the kongoffs as a top 10 player. It's really just sad this has happened. Definitely disappointed, but yet believable.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I could see where more show attendees may want to play against him at SFGE now knowing that he is a cheater.
Maybe throw in some trash-talking just for kicks.

Some of you Pinsiders that are planning to attend SFGE-2018 should challenge Billy to a game of pinball also.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Some of you Pinsiders that are planning to attend SFGE-2018 should challenge Billy to a game of pinball also.

Haha!! +1,I would love to see that

#88 6 years ago

Billy Mitchell is a douchebag. 1) he cheated by submitting DK scores earned while playing on mame emulator, in direct violation of the governing rules. 2) he lied about it (see #1) 3) he cheated by doctoring the videos he submitted as proof of his scores. In 2010 Billy was recognized for breaking the 1M point barrier on Donkey Kong, only because of his big CON.

For the next seven years Billy basked in his records and accomplishments on DK. I saw him at numerous pinball shows and enjoyed our chats. But now that I know he is a fraud and was one the whole time makes me feel BILLY MITCHELL IS A DOUCHEBAG!!

#89 6 years ago

Hey, guess who's at MGC?! Billy and his buddy Walter!

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Honestly I don't care about competitive arcade records

I was on town swim team as a kid received some twelve records which stood for many years. I was always proud to know I accomplished that. When one of my last records was broken, I wrote a quick little letter to the guy that beat it congratulating him for that achievement. Records are meant to be broken, it's OK really.

Billy and Walter seemed to be great faces for being the embasidores of classic arcade gaming for sure. Not so much anymore, imo

if the guy that broke my swimming record was wearing flippers or had his Dad handling the stopwatch. I'd be pissed off.

Yeah Steve Wiebe got screwed but good by those guys.

#91 6 years ago

"King of Kon" would be funnier...

#92 6 years ago

My buddy is at a convention with Billy this weekend. He said Billy is walking around and embracing the controversy. I guess to some, any type of attention is better than no attention

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

My buddy is at a convention with Billy this weekend. He said Billy is walking around and embracing the controversy. I guess to some, any type of attention is better than no attention

No such thing as bad publicity. He'll capitalize on it.

#94 6 years ago

He didnt show up today

#95 6 years ago

Signed 22 of 22. Right under the signature it says "video game player of the century". That is quite an accomplishment

thumbnail (resized).jpegthumbnail (resized).jpeg

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

He didnt show up today

He said he saw him yesterday when my buddy was setting up his vendors table.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I know, really? This is all over a Donkey Kong score.

Negative. It is about lying and cheating and benefiting all these years because of it.

Retrospectively, it always bothered me how they gained access to the DK machine in the garage and claimed that it had been 'tampered with'. All of that BS and this comes out?

#98 6 years ago

He said he saw him yesterday when my buddy was setting up his vendors table.

Yeah, I saw him yesterday with his hot sauce out on his KOK table, but no show today.

#99 6 years ago

Did someone say something to Billy yesterday that hurt his feelings?
Perhaps Billy went yesterday to sort of see how much word had spread and to gauge reactions from gamers.

#100 6 years ago

Sorry. You can bet the perfect pacman is bullshit too. Being done in 1999, could have been emulation, or any other hackery off an original board which has been mentioned for many years.

Quoted from Neurocrasher:

It sounds like Twin Galaxies has a problem with official events and judges, too, as it's my understanding so many of Todd Rogers' illegitimate scores were verified by official refs, some of which were supposedly done at events. Twin Galaxies needs a complete replacement, something like highscore.com. I won't pretend HS doesn't have problems with cheaters, but they seemingly have no problem calling them out (unlike Twin Galaxies... seriously, these scores stood for waaaaay too long).
As long as we're not talking a high profile world record like DK, I'm okay with video shot at home as long as they do one take (no cuts) and remove the camera from the tripod to clearly show the PCB connected to the cabinet and screen they're playing on. The board might be suspect, but you could rule out MAME at the very least. Streaming live on Twitch is even better than video, but there are cheaters there, too.
I almost feel bad for Mitchell because he was a good player and at least some of the scores removed are legit. I mean, I'm not going to lose sleep over it or anything, but I still believe he was (probably) the first to get a perfect Pac-Man. Someone on Reddit's speedrun sub pointed out that Steve Weibe is now the first person to get a million points on DK, though, so I guess that's a silver lining.

There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/billy-mitchell-stripped-of-donkey-kong-record/page/2?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.