• Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240418_034751 (resized).jpg
sauce (resized).jpeg
IMG_0058.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 19-26-50 Billy Mitchell contests game record removals & demands reinstatement Arcade and video games Pi
some-people-are-so-touchy-get-over-it (resized).png
e2138b518a99b793c575bd215a7cca513feaddd5 (resized).png
6A501C77-9F64-4C66-88FF-69BB16ED450A (resized).jpeg
2f9.gif
D6B21953-CF97-4AB5-BCCD-0DC50EFA97CD (resized).jpeg
A2BEDEB0-9CFA-4248-B9E6-76C5CF141DEA (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20221111-190855 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #219 Guinness reinstated Billy Mitchell's scores Posted by CNKay (3 years ago)

Post #401 Links to court case summaries Posted by ForceFlow (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

What is his legal basis for demanding his scores be added back to the Twin Galaxies listing? They are a private company and can allow/exclude whoever they want.

I don't see a legal basis to require Twin Galaxies to add Billy back into their listings. Billy's letter says that if they don't add him back in, he'll sue them for defamation. No idea if he's got a legal claim against Twin Galaxies. So far as I can tell, their statement was just that they caught him cheating at DK once. Unless he can prove that they knew or should have known he wasn't cheating but said it anyway, he's probably hosed. From a quick skim through his amateur evidence package (note to self, always start legal brief with booth girl pics), I don't see that happening.

Billy might have a claim against Guinness for implying that his unchallenged records "NEVER WERE," though their wording is careful and vague enough that they're probably OK. But even if he won that lawsuit, he's not going to get a court order requiring Guinness to identify him as the record holder going forward.

I understand Billy's overall beef -- by all accounts he legitimately set a bunch of records, and it seems a little weird to say that some other guy was the first person to "beat" Pacman when there's no reason to think that particular score was a cheat. But Twin Galaxies gets to set their own policies, and if it's "one strike and we erase you from history entirely" then so be it. And Guinness can rely on whatever sources they want to prove up the "world records" they chose to publish, even if that means they ignore a bunch of seemingly legit records in the process.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Wait, being accused of cheating disqualifies one for life?
I could name some pro sports players who would have had rather shortened careers in that case...

Well Twin Galaxies would say Billy wasn't just accused of cheating, he was found to have cheated following whatever their protocols are. At which point they not only DQ'd him for life, they scrubbed his old stats from the record books. Which seems extreme to me if some of those older scores are known to be valid, but hey, it's their record book so they can do whatever they want with it.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As mentioned, that's a big "whoopy do!", from where I'm standing.

Critical question: is it "whoopy do" or "whoop-dee-do"?

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was trying to figure that out, but auto incorrect decided that for me.

Well, Apple knows best.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As said, he is banned for life. When he dies that opens a whole new can of worms.

Banned for afterlife.

Is there a Gambling HOF? Seems like he'd be a shoe-in for that at least.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Most bad guy wrestlers are really nice guys in real life including Andre the Giant.

Andre would be a nice guy in real afterlife at this point. RIP.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I would bet that this case is dismissed or settled out of court.
I doubt seriously that this would ever go to trial.
Just a guess on my part though...

Pretty safe bet, 97% of civil cases are dismissed or settled before trial!

#170 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

A part of me wishes that it would go to court and I could watch.
I can imagine a Donkey Kong machine in the courtroom, where someone demonstrates jumps over blue barrels and evasive maneuvers from fireballs.
Probably a pretty good blast from the 70's.

And then that dramatic moment when, turning to the jury, the defense lawyer grabs Billy’s hair and gives it a solid tug, followed by “why won’t this wig come off?!?”

2 weeks later
#203 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

He’s certainly good enough to beat the scores in question. Why not just replace the scores with new ones and move on? He hasn’t been banned from the sport to my knowledge, just the scores were pulled. So replace them.
As far the pac man scores there’s no doubt those were legit. He has replicated those scores live many times on demand. Those should stand.

He's banned for life from having scores on the leaderboard that the videogame guys care about. Their policy is apparently that if you're caught cheating once, all of your scores are wiped and you cannot enter any new ones.

8 months later
#229 3 years ago

I get not liking the DK reinstatement, but you also have beef with Guinness printing his Pac-Man score? I don't think anyone's shown evidence that wasn't a legit score, it's just that Twin Galaxy nuked all of his scores when they determined that he cheated at DK. Which is their right, of course, but no reason Guinness has to follow that decision.

2 years later
#343 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Billy is a very average DK player. He can't come anywhere close to competing with today's DK players. And while he's a decent pac-man player, he's not as good as he claims.

Not defending the guy’s behavior, but I’m sure he’s better than “average.” And if you put pretty much any champ from the 80s up against a modern competitor they’re not likely to shine. Time marches on, there are more and more humans in the world, and we keep getting incrementally better at most stuff.

#348 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

For a consistent player of today, he's average. Being a player form the 80s has nothing to do with it. I'm comparing him skills today to players of today.

Why would you do that? He’s old. He was one of the best in his day. But expecting him to beat the best in 2023 is unrealistic. What’s the sport/event where old men dominate?

#350 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

By your logic, he has 40 years experience and should be much better than the players that have only been playing a handful of years. Playing an arcade game well hardly has anything to do with age

57 seems kind of old to hope to dominate a fast-twitch reflex based competition. But I can't tell who is arguing what anymore in this discussion so I'll leave it there.

#363 12 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I think Billy Mitchell needs a Mini Billy Mitchell. I'd pay good money to see that shi* at SFGE or any other expo...

Just what he needs, another lawsuit!

6 months later
#403 5 months ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Let's all spend thousands and thousands of dollars in courts and lawyers all to argue and contest a game of fucking Donkey Kong. Holy hell there are much more important things in life. Supreme douche baggery at it's finest.

It is puzzling why either side is willing to pay to keep this one in court. But sadly you can bet it's not even close to the dumbest litigation going on in our country right now.

2 months later
#417 3 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Karl doesn't agree with Billy's expert.. and twin galaxies settled rather than pursue trial.
He also explains how Twin Galaxies is putting the old stuff back, but not treating it as the current leaderboards

Thumbs-up for posting a video less than 4 hours on the subject! Sounds like Billy can classify it as a "win" since his name and records now technically appear on the TG website. And TG doesn't have to put him back on the actual leaderboards and can move ahead pretending he doesn't exist.

This guy's also hilarious thinking he pressured Billy's lawyers into settling with TG. Trust me, plaintiffs lawyers don't give a shit what video game nerds on YouTube say about them, so long as the checks are clearing.

#419 3 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's a shame TG didn't keep pushing... to go this far and sink so much in, and to basically walk away without real vindication much suck.

Sure, but how much money does TG want to spend on this crap? If Billy is banned from future records and they don't have to include him on any current leaderboards this seems like a good time for them to just walk away. For better or worse, it's a very high bar to force the other side to pay for your costs and fees in America, even when you win and the other guy's case was objectively stupid.

#424 3 months ago
Quoted from benheck:

Send me in and I'll Marisa Tomei his ass, My Cousin Vinny style.

IMG_0058.gifIMG_0058.gif
2 months later
#428 18 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Would be interesting to see if they come back still with trying to undo the settlement if they feel it was negotiated in bad faith if the court says "you got what you signed up for"

Hard to draw an opinion on what might happen since the settlement agreement is confidential, so we cannot tell if Twin Galaxies bent the deal to the point of breaking with their clever "historic records" page. If it's really obvious that they broke the deal it's a little funny that Billy would have waited months to go back to court to complain. Regardless, if the judge rules that Twin Galaxies' actions were in line with the letter of the agreement, I'm not sure Billy gains much by appealing other than running up yet more legal fees.

2 weeks later
#431 2 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Remember tho - these guys have made their high score their livelihood too. This guy literally lives on selling his fame... take that away from him and he's working at burger king.

Maybe Billy could convince BK to start serving his hot sauce.

sauce (resized).jpegsauce (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/billy-mitchell-contests-game-record-removals-amp-demands-reinstatement?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.