• Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240418_034751 (resized).jpg
sauce (resized).jpeg
IMG_0058.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 19-26-50 Billy Mitchell contests game record removals & demands reinstatement Arcade and video games Pi
some-people-are-so-touchy-get-over-it (resized).png
e2138b518a99b793c575bd215a7cca513feaddd5 (resized).png
6A501C77-9F64-4C66-88FF-69BB16ED450A (resized).jpeg
2f9.gif
D6B21953-CF97-4AB5-BCCD-0DC50EFA97CD (resized).jpeg
A2BEDEB0-9CFA-4248-B9E6-76C5CF141DEA (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20221111-190855 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #219 Guinness reinstated Billy Mitchell's scores Posted by CNKay (3 years ago)

Post #401 Links to court case summaries Posted by ForceFlow (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 4 years ago

About a little over a year ago, Billy Mitchell was stripped of his video game records, as seen in these past threads:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-of-kong-dethroned-billy-mitchell-banned-for-life/

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/billy-mitchell-stripped-of-donkey-kong-record/

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/176004-Dispute-Jeremy-Young-Arcade-Donkey-Kong-Points-Hammer-Allowed-Player-Billy-L-Mitchell-Score-1-062-800/page326

The news of the day is that he is contesting the Twin Galaxies & Guinness Book of World Records rulings against his game records, and threatening legal action if they don't comply with his demands about restoring his records. He submitted a packet of evidence to back up his claims.

Summary: "King of Kong" World Record Holder Billy Mitchell has fired back over allegations of cheating that stripped him of his Guinness Book of World Records "Donkey Kong" Title. His demand letter requires Twin Galaxies and Guinness Book to retract their "defamatory statements" and issue a Press Release reinstating his Records and place in video game history.

Billy Mitchell's attorney has contacted Twin Galaxies demanding they retract their previous statements and reinstate his records to their website. They have 14 days to do before legal action will be taken. Mitchell's team has created a document outlining his evidence that Twin Galaxies' behavior constitutes libel. Also contains counter evidence that attempts to discount Twin Galaxy's original findings. Mitchell is also taking action against Guinness in the same manner, demanding they reinstate his records and retract previous statements.

(Note: the video is basically just a reading of the demand letter)

Link to Demand Letter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sAW-RRD0-qdg_TcKZHk9Aaoj5bGovz14/view
Link to Evidence Package: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BMbW-_fSwCFQ1Kzl59pj7TnoQiuAdgcJ/view
Retraction Letter, 9-9-19.pdfRetraction Letter, 9-9-19.pdf

#2 4 years ago

This is interesting.....following

#3 4 years ago

Further down on twingalaxies thread, there is a link to the evidence package submitted Mitchell's lawyer. I haven't read it yet, but surely look forward to it and appreciate the transparency.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BMbW-_fSwCFQ1Kzl59pj7TnoQiuAdgcJ/view

#4 4 years ago

Does this guy have a job?

Surely being billy Mitchell isn’t paying the rent, right?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Does this guy have a job?
Surely being billy Mitchell isn’t paying the rent, right?

He does have another job but I think he has quite a bit of income from just being Billy Mitchell.

#6 4 years ago

With all those attorneys on that letter I think it's a safe bet someone is photocopying their ass or committing adultery in the supply closet at the Xmas party...

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

He does have another job but I think he has quite a bit of income from just being Billy Mitchell.

He has a successful hot sauce business. I bought some from hit at pinball madness, it’s pretty good stuff.

B8680D3E-1774-48B3-B7C6-E5724B83E36B (resized).jpegB8680D3E-1774-48B3-B7C6-E5724B83E36B (resized).jpeg
#8 4 years ago

Anything to stay relevant I guess.

#9 4 years ago

wow... just wow... I wonder how much it costs to hire an attorney/firm to get something like that done?
If this is a civil lawsuit, would there be damages awarded for "reputation injury" and how would that be calculated?
The whole situation is just bizarre...

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

wow... just wow... I wonder how much it costs to hire an attorney/firm to get something like that done?
If this is a civil lawsuit, would there be damages awarded for "reputation injury" and how would that be calculated?
The whole situation is just bizarre...

Billy would have to show an income loss after the allegations.

#11 4 years ago

Um, the 80's live on?

#12 4 years ago

I'm curious why it took him an entire year to file?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm curious why it took him an entire year to file?

Well he was getting a lot of publicity. And it takes a while to do research and get all those statements.

#14 4 years ago

"Hello, I would like to speak to one of your attorneys about a libel claim over disputed video game scores."
"Security to the reception desk."

#15 4 years ago

I wonder what the resume looks like for the Donkey Kong expert?
I am really curious what qualifies a person as an expert on a particular video game or a pinball game for instance...
Perhaps if you have a youtube tutorial/tips broadcast or documented high scores you could qualify as an expert in legal terms...
That should be interesting testimony...

#16 4 years ago

Interesting development for sure. After watching The King of Kong, I found him to be very unlikeable and very evasive with challengers. No doubt he is an incredible player and hopefully the truth will come out.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

I found him to be very unlikeable

Me too. Hogging games at shows that kids wanted to play or their parents wanted to buy.

LTG : )

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

After watching The King of Kong, I found him to be very unlikeable and very evasive with challengers.

Quite the hot take.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Interesting development for sure. After watching The King of Kong, I found him to be very unlikeable and very evasive with challengers. No doubt he is an incredible player and hopefully the truth will come out.

he is a lot nicer than the King of Kong portrays him. It was a very biased movie.

#20 4 years ago

He’s actually very kind, especially with kids. The tough guy thing is an act for the camera.

888CD3A2-4718-4D43-BC4B-691C8E927781 (resized).jpeg888CD3A2-4718-4D43-BC4B-691C8E927781 (resized).jpeg
#21 4 years ago

two things i learned from billy,
dress nicer and use conditioner.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

He’s actually very kind, especially with kids.

Funny. That picture is at Expo. Where he hogged a CGC Pacman game and played it to 283 levels until the game freezes at that point. Ignoring kids that wanted to play it. Then stood by it so people could get his picture next to it. And then went to get more people over to see it. Unfortunately someone turned the game off and back on wiping his score.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Funny. That picture is at Expo. Where he hogged a CGC Pacman game and played it to 283 levels until the game freezes at that point. Ignoring kids that wanted to play it. Then stood by it so people could get his picture next to it. And then went to get more people over to see it. Unfortunately someone turned the game off and back on wiping his score.

what a SOB! Jk

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Can't speak to that, but I can attest he went above and beyond with my son who is Autistic at MGC two years ago. He was a true gentleman.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yup, that’s where we first met him. My boys talked to him while he was playing it. He put pac in the hiding spot where ghosts can’t see him and turned and talked to my boys for ten minutes. Then he went back to the game. Was he showing off? Sure he was. He was playing his character. Do I think he’s the second coming? Absolutely not. Just sayin some of it is an act, and under that character might be a decent guy somewhere. I’ve met you too Lloyd, I respect the heck out of ya, and I’d love to buy ya a drink sometime. Just here, we’re gonna have to agree to disagree.

#26 4 years ago

So did he cheat or not?

#27 4 years ago

So he is super nice AND a total dick. He was at the show out here a few years back...my personal impressions from not talking to him at all: he likes hot sauce and really flaunts that beautiful head of hair...total hair showoff. You know the type, guys with hair. Eff ‘em, am I right??

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So did he cheat or not?

I guess we have to wait for the verdict to get the final answer.
He has retained an expert witness, so called "Donkey Kong Expert" that says that he did not.
There is no detail on the evidence to show that he cheated, but surely there must be some or they would have maintained his high scores.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Further down on twingalaxies thread, there is a link to the evidence package submitted Mitchell's lawyer. I haven't read it yet, but surely look forward to it and appreciate the transparency.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BMbW-_fSwCFQ1Kzl59pj7TnoQiuAdgcJ/view

Tldr - he claims that he never formally submitted the score on tape

367AFC39-9829-4B66-B4A1-0ECB4F7CB490 (resized).jpeg367AFC39-9829-4B66-B4A1-0ECB4F7CB490 (resized).jpeg
#30 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Would that be you LTG???

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

I found him to be very entertaining in that film. Kind of like a wrestling heel from back in the 80s. He pulls off the bad guy routine beautifully.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Would that be you LTG???

No, I'm not billy.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Keep in mind that he was intended to be the villain of the film for the sake of drama.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbm87j/the-king-of-kong-worked-because-it-had-a-compelling-villain

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

After the film came out, there were numerous stories talking about how they had edited the movie to make it seem like he was the “bad guy”. Even Steve Wiebe (sp?), the other competitor is on record saying Billy was real nice and they got along well. Just not enough drama for a film

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

After the film came out, there were numerous stories talking about how they had edited the movie to make it seem like he was the “bad guy”. Even Steve Wiebe (sp?), the other competitor is on record saying Billy was real nice and they got along well. Just not enough drama for a film

That's interesting. I'm not certain I'd portray myself as a jerk for the sake of a non-hollywood blockbuster. I'm also pretty certain they'll never make a movie about me.

#36 4 years ago

By reading that little blurb from his evidence report, it almost seems like all of his evidence is hearsay, second hand account or 30 year old memories.

He will need some very compelling evidence to get his records restored, I don’t know if this will be enough to actually prove anything.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So did he cheat or not?

All he has to do is play the game at a public venue to lay the charge to rest one would think.

Guinness does not lightly add or subtract records without some level of proof, they have a brand to protect.

#38 4 years ago

For you guys that haven't followed close, he cheated for the DK score, he got caught, he couldn't prove otherwise. Thus all his records removed.
Then he started twitch channel trying to prove he could do it, still can't. Of course Mame and cheating, never get brought up in chat. Of course his record(s) removal never get brought up.

He did do and still can do a perfect Pacman game. But cry like a baby those records are all gone too, what do cheaters expect?

Nice guy, bad guy it doesn't really matter.

He made his cracker crumb bed, now lie in it!!

I don't think TG and Guinness are gonna roll over for him. This should get interesting.

It's like jplop counter sueing folks he ripped off, it doesn't make sense to me.

#39 4 years ago

They should tell billy Mitchell about Pete Rose; get caught cheating and loose all of your records.

Quoted from gdonovan:

All he has to do is play the game at a public venue to lay the charge to rest one would think

As long as it’s not a room filled with just his friends.

#40 4 years ago

Let's see him win huge $$ in a current game on the E-Sports circuit. Those players and games can actually be FUN to watch.

#41 4 years ago

Billy Mitchell’s evidence debunked!

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

They should tell billy Mitchell about Pete Rose; get caught cheating and loose all of your records.

As long as it’s not a room filled with just his friends.

My impression of the guy during the documentary wasn't positive. Even during my racing days I was courteous towards my competitors. I didn't see that at all with Mitchell, it was all about him. It would have cost him nothing to say hello to the other guy and congratulate him for playing so well.

#43 4 years ago

The King of Kong is such a great movie but wouldnt surprise me to hear its made to make Billy look bad. Its a movie after all.

Speaking of which, ive been looking for a King of Kong movie poster for years but cant find anything larger than 11 x 17.

#44 4 years ago

Can anyone explain what the "girder finger" is?

#45 4 years ago

What is his legal basis for demanding his scores be added back to the Twin Galaxies listing? They are a private company and can allow/exclude whoever they want.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

The King of Kong is such a great movie but wouldnt surprise me to hear its made to make Billy look bad. Its a movie after all.

Which Billy was the actual person being portrayed so he chose to act in the fashion he did. If people have a poor opinion of Billy based on how he acted in the movie then it is all on him.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Which Billy was the actual person being portrayed so he chose to act in the fashion he did. If people have a poor opinion of Billy based on how he acted in the movie then it is all on him.

Yea but you never know how documentaries are edited to fit a narrative. Granted, a lot of what he was saying and doing in the movie was ridiculous. The movie is hysterical lol

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Yea but you never know how documentaries are edited to fit a narrative. Granted, a lot of what he was saying and doing in the movie was ridiculous. The movie is hysterical lol

Doesn't change the fact he could have chosen not to participate in the filming.

Nothing stopped him from playing against the other guy, not once but twice but Billy Mitchell.

#49 4 years ago

How can one person play that much DK? I get bored after 5min.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Can anyone explain what the "girder finger" is?

girder (resized).jpggirder (resized).jpg
There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/billy-mitchell-contests-game-record-removals-amp-demands-reinstatement?hl=ericc123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.