• Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240418_034751 (resized).jpg
sauce (resized).jpeg
IMG_0058.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 19-26-50 Billy Mitchell contests game record removals & demands reinstatement Arcade and video games Pi
some-people-are-so-touchy-get-over-it (resized).png
e2138b518a99b793c575bd215a7cca513feaddd5 (resized).png
6A501C77-9F64-4C66-88FF-69BB16ED450A (resized).jpeg
2f9.gif
D6B21953-CF97-4AB5-BCCD-0DC50EFA97CD (resized).jpeg
A2BEDEB0-9CFA-4248-B9E6-76C5CF141DEA (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20221111-190855 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
#251 2 years ago

I saw that last night, unfortunately for billy the laws where Karl lives are different then they are in the USA. I doubt this will go far.

Billy is just an angry child stamping his feet

#252 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I saw that last night, unfortunately for billy the laws where Karl lives are different then they are in the USA. I doubt this will go far.
Billy is just an angry child stamping his feet

The laws need changing in the US. It is bullshit to be able to bury someone in legal fees like this. Just look at that [remoted] from deeproot. Threatens people with this so nobody says anything against him. Pathetic.

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

The laws need changing in the US. It is bullshit to be able to bury someone in legal fees like this.

That's what the anti-SLAPP laws are for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

#254 2 years ago

I got moderated for saying RM is a naughty word? This place baffles me.

#255 2 years ago

Wonder if that can be applied in family court.

#256 2 years ago

I just watched a podcast that mentions Billy Mitchell forgot to renew his webpage license; so someone else swooped in an took it.

http://perfectpacman.com

Now it just documents Billy’s fraud.

#257 2 years ago
E9952BFB-F07B-4A19-AB5E-DF86B7DCBE7F (resized).pngE9952BFB-F07B-4A19-AB5E-DF86B7DCBE7F (resized).png
#258 2 years ago

I just watched a podcast that mentions Billy Mitchell forgot to renew his webpage license; so someone else swooped in an took it.
http://perfectpacman.com
Now it just documents Billy’s fraud.

That’s kind of messed up

#259 2 years ago

for those interested:

The interview with Robert Murczek (complete with timestamps) covers quite a bit of ground on Billy & TG.
Bill Bastable was the first person to achieve a perfect score on Pacman (before Billy) According to "The king of Con" video that has since been removed from youtube.

#260 2 years ago

Keep fighting Billy!

1 week later
#261 2 years ago

Why is this guy going to be at yet another arcade show?

https://musiccitymulticon.com/guests/#BillyMitchell

#262 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Why is this guy going to be at yet another arcade show?
https://musiccitymulticon.com/guests/#BillyMitchell

To set up a booth and make money selling autographs and premium items.

#264 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Hot sauce!

#265 2 years ago

Didn't he ink an agreement to sell Genuine VFW Pinball LED's?

6 months later
#267 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

At least there is some sort of connection to arcade. Why the fuc* is he at Pinball Shows? I'd rather see Kaneda in a silk TMNT suit....

#269 2 years ago

What kind of garbage is this? How was there any extortion? All of this, including Billy Mitchell, his white 40 year old suit, his bad hair and his pansy ass hot sauce are a complete joke to anything that relates to the reality of daily life. OMG, he is the high score king! Whoop dee fucking do.

foley (resized).JPGfoley (resized).JPG
#270 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

At least there is some sort of connection to arcade. Why the fuc* is he at Pinball Shows? I'd rather see Kaneda in a silk TMNT suit....

He showed up at a local show last year. Saw nobody at his booth. I ignored him. What I found funny was there was a sign on a Donkey Kong machine that explained something like "Original hardware and not an emulator."

I mean, is he trying to direct attention to the scandal at this point? The show made this big huge deal that he would be a premiere special guest yet everyone knows his history...

#271 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

He showed up at a local show last year. Saw nobody at his booth. I ignored him. What I found funny was there was a sign on a Donkey Kong machine that explained something like "Original hardware and not an emulator."
I mean, is he trying to direct attention to the scandal at this point? The show made this big huge deal that he would be a premiere special guest yet everyone knows his history...

Billy makes money by staying relevant. Since it has been proven he's a lying cheater, he gets attention from being the bad guy instead of being the best player in the world. In the end it really doesn't matter to him as long as people are talking about him one way or another.

#272 2 years ago

77d98d53d392a0f8922689cba75e793a (resized).jpeg77d98d53d392a0f8922689cba75e793a (resized).jpeg

6 months later
#273 1 year ago

Billy is suing for defamation, even though his scores are a lie

#274 1 year ago

Billy is suing for defamation, even though his scores are a lie

Yeah, i saw this. The guy is a piece of shit. Like just go away already.

#275 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yeah, i saw this. The guy is a piece of shit. Like just go away already.

He knows he's a piece of shit and he thrives on it. He makes a living by being the bad guy and he eats it up.

#276 1 year ago

I saw him again at our local convention. They didn't advertise him on the website this time. Most of the time, like the year before, there was nobody at his booth. It was awkward to just have him standing there looking for people to talk to.

#277 1 year ago
Quoted from Crash:

I saw him again at our local convention. They didn't advertise him on the website this time. Most of the time, like the year before, there was nobody at his booth. It was awkward to just have him standing there looking for people to talk to.

Did he have hot sauce for sale?

#278 1 year ago

He should do a bout with WWE. That would be funny

#279 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Did he have hot sauce for sale?

Spicy Mitchell?

#280 1 year ago

Pretty good beer. World’s best / world record for dry hop amounts?? Up for dispute.

58FB2E43-4B7A-4E3B-A781-03E6B14D9434 (resized).jpeg58FB2E43-4B7A-4E3B-A781-03E6B14D9434 (resized).jpeg79BBD52B-200D-48FC-8ED6-F7F847E89620 (resized).jpeg79BBD52B-200D-48FC-8ED6-F7F847E89620 (resized).jpeg
#281 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Pretty good beer. World’s best / world record for dry hop amounts?? Up for dispute.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Innocently named, or 100% intentional by a cheeky horse owner? You decide.

#283 1 year ago

i used to own a donkey kong (20ish years ago) , i got it from this guy "Chris" , he said a guinness record was set on this machine by his buddy "Billy" and he was gifted the machine for being at the event. i never put any thought to it ever, and the monitor crapped out so i traded it off for a southpark pin. quite a few years later i was watching a movie about the history of arcades called " chasing ghosts" and low and behold there was "Chris" but they were referring to him as Darren Olsen, ( he changed his name to Chris Steele) and his buddy Billy Mitchell. i should have kept that machine

#284 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

i used to own a donkey kong (20ish years ago) , i got it from this guy "Chris" , he said a guinness record was set on this machine by his buddy "Billy" and he was gifted the machine for being at the event. i never put any thought to it ever, and the monitor crapped out so i traded it off for a southpark pin. quite a few years later i was watching a movie about the history of arcades called " chasing ghosts" and low and behold there was "Chris" but they were referring to him as Darren Olsen, ( he changed his name to Chris Steele) and his buddy Billy Mitchell. i should have kept that machine

Chris met Chris

#285 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Chris met Chris

in my early 20's i worked in construction, as a drywall contractor and i worked on a house he was building, that how we met. i had a retro atari shirt on and we got chatting.

2 months later
#286 1 year ago

I haven't really been following what's being going on with this whole saga & court case, but it looks like something new popped up:

New photos of a kong game at an event where one of Mitchell's records was reached have surfaced.

According to the video, these photos came from the convention organizers. The photos show the joystick on the kong game is a red, tall joystick not an original short, black 4-way joystick. The video claims that the red joystick is an 8-way joystick, which would change the way the game is played. However, I'm not well versed enough in arcade hardware to be able to determine just by the stick visible in the photo if it's 8-way or 4-way, although it is obvious the stick itself is not original.

According to statements in the court proceedings, this game was supposedly the game used at both events for setting the record high scores.

The requirements for reaching a record high score include the arcade game to have completely original and unmodified hardware, but now the argument could be made that the arcade cab in the photos at the event does not have all original hardware, thus on this fact alone, could disqualify any record high scores. Or, possibly the opposite argument could be made that it was simply a cosmetic modification due to parts availability at the time (would the joystick height make a difference in gameplay?)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I haven't really been following what's being going on with this whole saga & court case, but it looks like something new popped up:

New photos of a kong game at an event where one of Mitchell's records was reached have surfaced.
According to the video, these photos came from the convention organizers. The photos show the joystick on the kong game is a red, tall joystick not an original short, black 4-way joystick. The video claims that the red joystick is an 8-way joystick, which would change the way the game is played. However, I'm not well versed enough in arcade hardware to be able to determine just by the stick visible in the photo if it's 8-way or 4-way, although it is obvious the stick itself is not original.
According to statements in the court proceedings, this game was supposedly the game used at both events for setting the record high scores.
The requirements for reaching a record high score include the arcade game to have completely original and unmodified hardware, but now the argument could be made that the arcade cab in the photos at the event does not have all original hardware, thus on this fact alone, could disqualify any record high scores. Or, possibly the opposite argument could be made that it was simply a cosmetic modification due to parts availability at the time (would the joystick height make a difference in gameplay?)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's not the height. It's that an 8-way stick changes the way you can play the game so you can do two directions at once when holding diagonals, making ladders much easier, for one.

Also, the start buttons on that cab are obviously not original, either.

#288 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's that an 8-way stick changes the way you can play the game so you can do two directions at once when holding diagonals, making ladders much easier, for one.

Yes, I'm aware of the 8-way difference. However, just from the photo, since it's not clear if the joystick is set up for 8-way or 4-way (and maybe just an assumption?), my question was if the height would make a difference (at a competitive level).

#289 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, I'm aware of the 8-way difference. However, just from the photo, since it's not clear if the joystick is set up for 8-way or 4-way (and maybe just an assumption?), my question was if the height would make a difference (at a competitive level).

I'd speculate it's not consequential.. Or the shorter might even be optimal.

Still I understand the underlying rule to keep everything standardised to oe spec.

#290 1 year ago

Please excuse me, but shouldnt the game code make it no difference? I mean, can it parse two signals from joystick at once but game is still supposed to come with a 4 way?

I admit that I dont know anything about arcade games though.

#291 1 year ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Please excuse me, but shouldnt the game code make it no difference? I mean, can it parse two signals from joystick at once but game is still supposed to come with a 4 way?
I admit that I dont know anything about arcade games though.

Old arcade software at the dawn of video games was extremely rudimentary. Lots of stuff was fly by the seat of your pants, error trapping was minimal. So if you give it something that isn't possible (with stock hardware) like up and right at the same time, it just will try to deal with it rather than discarding it as incorrect. In other cases of invalid input (on other games), that may crash it or cause other weird things. It's just pot luck depending on how the game was originally programmed.

#292 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Old arcade software at the dawn of video games was extremely rudimentary. Lots of stuff was fly by the seat of your pants, error trapping was minimal. So if you give it something that isn't possible (with stock hardware) like up and right at the same time, it just will try to deal with it rather than discarding it as incorrect. In other cases of invalid input (on other games), that may crash it or cause other weird things. It's just pot luck depending on how the game was originally programmed.

Thank you for your informative reply. Now Im curious, how would this game handle it?

I must admit I find the debacle about this guy, Billy Mitchell very amusing and interesting.

#293 1 year ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Thank you for your informative reply. Now Im curious, how would this game handle it?
I must admit I find the debacle about this guy, Billy Mitchell very amusing and interesting.

I don't have any inner knowledge of the code for Donkey Kong, but in general it SEEMS that it acts on whatever inputs are possible at any given time. So with an 8-way stick, if you're on a ladder and holding diagonally upper right, it will climb (discarding the right input that isn't possible while on the ladder) until you reach the top of the ladder, then smoothly start moving right.

With the 4 way stick, a less-skilled player can get stuck on the ladder by transitioning to right before they're fully on top of the ladder, which makes Mario get stuck (and likely killed by a barrel). Having the 8-way is almost like an auto pilot for navigating ladders, smoothly making that transition from horizontal to vertical movement, up or down. There's probably also a small time advantage, too, because that transition happens in the absolute minimum amount of time possible.

#294 1 year ago

Didn't the governing body for these records provide the machine in question or was this Billy's machine? That makes a difference imo.

#295 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't have any inner knowledge of the code for Donkey Kong, but in general it SEEMS that it acts on whatever inputs are possible at any given time. So with an 8-way stick, if you're on a ladder and holding diagonally upper right, it will climb (discarding the right input that isn't possible while on the ladder) until you reach the top of the ladder, then smoothly start moving right.
With the 4 way stick, a less-skilled player can get stuck on the ladder by transitioning to right before they're fully on top of the ladder, which makes Mario get stuck (and likely killed by a barrel). Having the 8-way is almost like an auto pilot for navigating ladders, smoothly making that transition from horizontal to vertical movement, up or down. There's probably also a small time advantage, too, because that transition happens in the absolute minimum amount of time possible.

The real broken part about using an 8 way joystick is the fact you can steer barrels while climbing ladders. With the stock joystick you can only steer barrels when you approach the ladder. With an 8 way you can hold left or right while climbing, which can influence whether a barrel goes down the ladder or not.

#296 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Didn't the governing body for these records provide the machine in question or was this Billy's machine? That makes a difference imo.

According to the video which quotes the lawsuit filings, it was Billy's machine used in both records.

#297 1 year ago

I'm nowhere near a record holding player (avg in the hundreds of thousands), but anytime I accidentally play DK on 8-way it's not a boon. Tons of non-movements because you hit a diagonal while walking. Also, iirc someone figured out the random number generator for barrel movement is around a 12% chance to go the direction the player is currently pushing. It'd be a lot of adjustment just for a slight edge on ladders for the barrels.

Maybe a world record level player can find a way to leverage this difference into giving them an edge though since the barrels have been so critical to high scores. Combined with it's pretty well proven that Billy was running a MAME cabinet on these runs, I wouldn't give him any benefit of the doubt on this either. Who knows maybe he even combined the 8-way with some of the emulator configurations to give himself even more advantages.

#298 1 year ago

Billy Mitchell cheating on DK in 2022, 2023 is really stupid. Using an 8 way joystick still wouldn't make him good enough (assuming it even is an advantage). There are players WAY better than him, it's not even close. He can use whatever joystick he wants, turn the voltage down on the board, it doesn't matter, he's not good enough.

I wound up getting a perfect score in pacman after watching Mitchell play. I thought to myself, if THIS guy can get a perfect score, then so can I.

#299 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Hahahaha. The guy in the ref shirt is Todd rogers, he’s a bigger fake then Billy is.

A2BEDEB0-9CFA-4248-B9E6-76C5CF141DEA (resized).jpegA2BEDEB0-9CFA-4248-B9E6-76C5CF141DEA (resized).jpeg
#300 1 year ago

Go figure. I remember watching a documentary on Netflix about this guy several years ago. I was entertained, but fail to see how anyone cares anymore about Donkey Kong records.

There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/billy-mitchell-contests-game-record-removals-amp-demands-reinstatement/page/6?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.