New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 251621)

Billy Mitchell contests game record removals & demands reinstatement

By ForceFlow

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 248 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 80 days ago by Luckydogg420
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

65463EE2-01DD-4A4B-A26E-278B66C1F38E (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200621-192545_YouTube (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200206-225207_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
0F6975CF-186D-4590-9253-FEA1DA3C9AE0 (resized).jpeg
90E72B09-490E-46F1-959B-E72CCF33245C (resized).jpeg
B6A76201-3DFE-4FF8-8202-F7C927E36C81 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
BM666 (resized).jpg
EC567D32-ACC5-4EC1-BDA7-01A4FE06A0A1 (resized).jpeg
1AC3F525-FCEC-402F-92C1-7B0FAA337AC1 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
queenofkong (resized).jpg
know (resized).jpg
20190918_175847 (resized).png
BadPacBoys (resized).jpg
3015710-2050724787-sauce (resized).jpg

There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 1 year ago

He’s certainly good enough to beat the scores in question. Why not just replace the scores with new ones and move on? He hasn’t been banned from the sport to my knowledge, just the scores were pulled. So replace them.
As far the pac man scores there’s no doubt those were legit. He has replicated those scores live many times on demand. Those should stand.

#202 1 year ago

He already streamed beating the DK scores but yes they banned him for life, all scores all games...

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

He’s certainly good enough to beat the scores in question. Why not just replace the scores with new ones and move on? He hasn’t been banned from the sport to my knowledge, just the scores were pulled. So replace them.
As far the pac man scores there’s no doubt those were legit. He has replicated those scores live many times on demand. Those should stand.

He's banned for life from having scores on the leaderboard that the videogame guys care about. Their policy is apparently that if you're caught cheating once, all of your scores are wiped and you cannot enter any new ones.

#204 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

He's banned for life from having scores on the leaderboard that the videogame guys care about. Their policy is apparently that if you're caught cheating once, all of your scores are wiped and you cannot enter any new ones.

Its a ludicrous ruling....

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its a ludicrous ruling....

If you only remove the DK scores people are just going to question what other scores were faked anyway. More so true of Todd Rogers than Billy Mitchell IMHO. Best to just remove them all and move on.

In any event, I'm not losing any sleep over the matter.

1 week later
#206 1 year ago

This popped into my YouTube feed last night. I watched a couple minutes before I got bored. The stream was posted this morning. OVER 4 HOURS LONG. I just jumped to the end and didn’t see a kill screen. I don’t know how well the event went.

#207 1 year ago

Part 2.

He didn’t succeed

#208 1 year ago

He should be in the record books for “best mane of hair”

#209 1 year ago

White suit
Black suit
Red, white and blue stripes and stars
tie everything together
90E72B09-490E-46F1-959B-E72CCF33245C (resized).jpegB6A76201-3DFE-4FF8-8202-F7C927E36C81 (resized).jpeg

#210 1 year ago

He would be a great Halloween costume.

#211 1 year ago

My new donkey Kong jar. Oops wrong forum...

0F6975CF-186D-4590-9253-FEA1DA3C9AE0 (resized).jpeg
#212 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

My friend scored 1 b on the new ghostbusters code. It's just gonna go through the roof now, those gb scores. But I digress...

1B on the new code isnt special. I have over 2B on the old code and others have far more..

3 months later
#213 8 months ago

Elwin just called Sharp, Mitchell!

Screenshot_20200206-225207_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#214 8 months ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

So is the movie fake then? Was is scripted? Did these things not happen in real life?

The premise of the entire movie was that Billy had set a DK score 30 years earlier and was fighting to keep it.

How much does it affect the idea that the movie was staged to learn that Mitchell's score at that time had been beaten years prior, Billy was not the DK champ at that time, and there was a completely different person (not spoken of in the movie at all) that was the DK record holder?

So the whole thing was a construction.

I remember reading some posts at the time revealing that the scene with scores being given to Billy over the phone (which seemed like him paying attention to Steve Wiebe's DK attempts because he cared) were actually Joust scores.

Or the scene with the tape being shown to the cabin of players and them all going "whooooo" was a wrestling tape.

There were more examples, but that just gives an idea of how things seemingly filming real life can be edited into a work of fiction.

I don't think anyone is too upset, ultimately, about their portrayals though because that movie single-handely made TG relevant and all those classic gamers names instead of nobodies.

#215 8 months ago
Quoted from frolic:

The premise of the entire movie was that Billy had set a DK score 30 years earlier and was fighting to keep it.
How much does it affect the idea that the movie was staged to learn that Mitchell's score at that time had been beaten years prior, Billy was not the DK champ at that time, and there was a completely different person (not spoken of in the movie at all) that was the DK record holder?
So the whole thing was a construction.
I remember reading some posts at the time revealing that the scene with scores being given to Billy over the phone (which seemed like him paying attention to Steve Wiebe's DK attempts because he cared) were actually Joust scores.
Or the scene with the tape being shown to the cabin of players and them all going "whooooo" was a wrestling tape.
There were more examples, but that just gives an idea of how things seemingly filming real life can be edited into a work of fiction.
I don't think anyone is too upset, ultimately, about their portrayals though because that movie single-handely made TG relevant and all those classic gamers names instead of nobodies.

Real or not, it's still a very entertaining movie, imo. BM, plays the role of a heel to a tee.

1 week later
#216 8 months ago

My favorite movie is special when lit.

I’m gonna show it to my fiancée. She will like it.

2 months later
#218 5 months ago

Finally

1 month later
#220 4 months ago

The records are only reinstated in Guinness, not in TG. Like him or hate him Billy is a legit player and he can put up those scores. No one can argue Pacman. And we know Billy has broke 1 mil on DK. There are better DK players that point press harder than Billy. There are only a handful of players that can crack 1 mil on DK period.

I believe a new DK WR was set this week by Robbie Lakeman. He scored over 1,260,000. This is probably about as high a score as we will ever see. Theoretically it is possible to achieve 1.3 or even 1.5 million.

#221 4 months ago
Quoted from Pickle:

The records are only reinstated in Guinness, not in TG. Like him or hate him Billy is a legit player and he can put up those scores. No one can argue Pacman. And we know Billy has broke 1 mil on DK. There are better DK players that point press harder than Billy. There are only a handful of players that can crack 1 mil on DK period.
I believe a new DK WR was set this week by Robbie Lakeman. He scored over 1,260,000. This is probably about as high a score as we will ever see. Theoretically it is possible to achieve 1.3 or even 1.5 million.

I was really glad to see Billy get reinstated! He's a quality player, and has always helped promote the competitive scene, and really helped create it! Billy routinely can put up scores around a million.

And yeah, I heard about Robbie's score via Billy's tweet. Robbie is never going to be toppled. Unreal level of skills!

#222 4 months ago

WGARA? Video games. We pinheads are supposed to be snobs about video games "not actually happening," right? (Is there a smiley for "tongue in cheek"?)

How come no one has ever come up with a way for a computer to learn and play DK, etc? Like they've done for chess, Jeopardy... Then we'd see what the actual limits are.

I'm envisioning a rig to watch the screen and push the controllers on the actual arcade game, of course. A virtual player program simply overlaid on a computer version would be boring.

If it has been done, I wanna hear about it!

#223 4 months ago

Bill knew he was not the first perfect pac-man. There were several people who accomplished it first and Bill knew. That didn't stop him from promoting himself and spreading the lie. It sets a precedent that he is a cheat; besides the getting caught splicing mame footage for his DK records.

#224 4 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

How come no one has ever come up with a way for a computer to learn and play DK

Quite often in the video game speed running community you’ll see TAS runs, these are tool assisted speed runs done by computer to help human players discover new tricks. It won’t be long till someone gets a perfect game with a TASbot for donkey Kong.

I did a quick 30 second youtube search and didn’t find a full run video, but it might have been done already

#225 4 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Quite often in the video game speed running community you’ll see TAS runs, these are tool assisted speed runs done by computer to help human players discover new tricks. It won’t be long till someone gets a perfect game with a TASbot for donkey Kong.
I did a quick 30 second youtube search and didn’t find a full run video, but it might have been done already

Interesting. I figured I wasn't the first to think of doing this! Thanks.

#226 4 months ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

Bill knew he was not the first perfect pac-man. There were several people who accomplished it first and Bill knew. That didn't stop him from promoting himself and spreading the lie. It sets a precedent that he is a cheat; besides the getting caught splicing mame footage for his DK records.

This I had never heard . I always thought Billy was the first. Do you know their names offhand. ?

#227 4 months ago
Quoted from chad:

This I had never heard . I always thought Billy was the first. Do you know their names offhand. ?

Apollo Legend on youtube has a few well documented videos on the subject.
From what I remember the guy who did if first has now passed away.

#228 4 months ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

Apollo Legend on youtube has a few well documented videos on the subject.
From what I remember the guy who did if first has now passed away.

The first set of videos that came up when searching YouTube for Apollo Legend.

Regarding him promoting what you're stating is a lie, is this regarding his initial record a decade or so ago? He did gain prominence long before that in the 80's. It's not as if all of his accomplishments weigh completely from DK.

Looks like he has an axe to grind, and I'd assume he's a biased source of information.

What was the name of this dead man? Was this regarding being the first to 1 million points?

Screenshot_20200621-192545_YouTube (resized).jpg
#229 4 months ago

I get not liking the DK reinstatement, but you also have beef with Guinness printing his Pac-Man score? I don't think anyone's shown evidence that wasn't a legit score, it's just that Twin Galaxy nuked all of his scores when they determined that he cheated at DK. Which is their right, of course, but no reason Guinness has to follow that decision.

#230 4 months ago

All this makes me glad that trying to track world record scores on pinball machines would be impossible and meaningless.

#231 4 months ago

Billy’s hair can’t be beat...I think everyone can agree on that!

#232 4 months ago

This video goes through the defamation suit Mitchell filed against twin galaxies, and the response with request for dismissal filed by twin galaxies. There's a few interesting things in there that I hadn't really heard being prominently covered elsewhere.

#233 4 months ago

Sounds like Twin Galaxies and this Hall character are not quite being honest and have a definite bias towards Billy.

#234 4 months ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

I agree he was not the first to play a perfect game. But if I understand correctly he was the first to do it in a PUBLIC/Live setting. There were several trying to achieve this and Billy got lucky and did it first. That is what sets his accomplishment apart. And as we know documentation of any score must be verified to be considered a record for submission.

#235 4 months ago

I don't think anyone can argue against the fact that he was the best video game player of the 20th century.

#236 4 months ago

Very pleasant guy. Interesting, intelligent and articulate. Met him at SFGE and talked with him for over an hour. Gave us a bunch of swag and even hammed it up with my wife who was in a wheelchair due to an injury. Glad Guinness gave him his records back

65463EE2-01DD-4A4B-A26E-278B66C1F38E (resized).jpeg
#237 4 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

This video goes through the defamation suit Mitchell filed against twin galaxies, and the response with request for dismissal filed by twin galaxies. There's a few interesting things in there that I hadn't really heard being prominently covered elsewhere.

Interesting video. It shows facts about the case. I know there are videos that “claim” they have broken down the footage and proved it was MAME. I don’t know that I buy all of it. Maybe it is and maybe it isn’t. What is a fact is he has put up over a million on verified machines. So...perhaps he is the first to submit a million point game. That is an accomplishment and it has spurred others to competitive gaming. He is not the WR holder anymore and don’t think he was when he was stripped. The whole thing was pointless.

#238 4 months ago
Quoted from Pickle:

The whole thing was pointless.

I agree. It was like the whole setup for King of Kong. The movie didn't bother to tell the audience that Billy wasn't the world record holder at all at that time, it was someone not even in the movie.

#239 4 months ago

I have always thought of Billy, his persona, and his image to be that of a total douche bag reject stuck in the 80's. The fact is, he is no different than say Elvira or Pee Wee Herman. This is his character he created, it's how he makes a living, and he plays his character thick for the public. Caught him out of suit and out of character a few years ago and he is a pretty decent guy.

#240 4 months ago

Spot on vdojaq. I have met him and he was a nice guy. Very approachable and talked to everyone. He definitely has created his “character”. He is not the evil guy as portrayed in King of Kong. But it makes for good drama!

#241 4 months ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Spot on vdojaq. I have met him and he was a nice guy. Very approachable and talked to everyone. He definitely has created his “character”. He is not the evil guy as portrayed in King of Kong. But it makes for good drama!

When I met him a few years ago, he went out of his way to engage and listen to my son, who is autistic.

I'll never forget it and as for the records, I could give a shit. He's a cool dude.

Who cares about video game records anyway?

#242 4 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

When I met him a few years ago, he went out of his way to engage and listen to my son, who is autistic.
I'll never forget it and as for the records, I could give a shit. He's a cool dude.

Evidently Billy does.

#243 4 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

I've heard there are even threads on the topic!

#244 4 months ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Evidently Billy does.

I guess so.

#245 4 months ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Evidently Billy does

All Billy's care right Billy? Lol I'm probably one of the worst pacman players in the world! My brother is very good at it and laughs his ass off watching me sweat a game out.

2 weeks later
#246 3 months ago

Well, I just watched a Billy Mitchell musical...

#247 3 months ago

Ummm lol

4 weeks later
#248 80 days ago

Billy’s still at it, filing a lawsuit against anyone at that disputes his records.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 65.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 29.99
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 7,399.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 37.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Lighting - Interactive
Cobra Amusements
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 25.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
$ 7,599.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
$ 58.00
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside