• Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240418_034751 (resized).jpg
sauce (resized).jpeg
IMG_0058.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 19-26-50 Billy Mitchell contests game record removals & demands reinstatement Arcade and video games Pi
some-people-are-so-touchy-get-over-it (resized).png
e2138b518a99b793c575bd215a7cca513feaddd5 (resized).png
6A501C77-9F64-4C66-88FF-69BB16ED450A (resized).jpeg
2f9.gif
D6B21953-CF97-4AB5-BCCD-0DC50EFA97CD (resized).jpeg
A2BEDEB0-9CFA-4248-B9E6-76C5CF141DEA (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20221111-190855 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

More important why on earth would you play "the villain" in a movie about you? If someone wanted to shoot a movie about some event in my life and told me "ok I want you to play a dickhead in this scene" when I wasn't I'd walk out.
Billy showed on the screen what Billy wanted people to see on the screen.

Thats right why the hell would he play the bad guy in a movie. It's not like they were $$$PAYING$$$ him or anything..........

Thanks
Blake

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some of the broad strokes are there, just like many "based on true events" movies. But, there was a lot of creative license that went into it to create drama and to try to make an interesting story with interesting characters.

Yes

In a general sense, some things did, some things didn't. Details were added, removed, or rearranged to create drama.
Most documentaries are carefully edited to tell a specific story. Almost no documentaries are done in a way where someone just hits record and then goes straight to DVD.
For example, here's a typical pinball tournament (2019 NY state championships), but the footage was edited down with music added, and included a narrator explaining what was going on, about the players, and the stakes. It adds a little more excitement for a viewer than just a camera on a live stream.

For comparison, a 2018 NY state championships live stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball/video/220853934

I love how they ask a question, I give an answer.........Crickets.

You respond to the question with the same answer........Discussion.

Am I missing something here???
Did someone write ASS HAT on the back of my avatar?

Thanks
Blake

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

Thats right why the hell would he play the bad guy in a movie. It's not like they were $$$PAYING$$$ him or anything..........
Thanks
Blake

My reputation is worth more that what some half assed documentary would pay for my time.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

More important why on earth would you play "the villain" in a movie about you? If someone wanted to shoot a movie about some event in my life and told me "ok I want you to play a dickhead in this scene" when I wasn't I'd walk out.

That's what my impression has been and I'm trying to understand if that is incorrect. Like if it is really a documentary and he decided to be a dick in this documentary, then he his playing a dick in real life which is fundamentally being a dick. This film how the vast majority of people know him. Maybe he didn't realize this would become so well known, but it seems likely his hope was that it would and he would become more famous. But, he would be famous for being an asshole.

To put it in a pro wrestling analogy, you can play a bad guy in pro wrestling and everyone will know you as such. And you can get rich like that. But, that is entirely scripted everyone knows the deal up front and it is just acting. You can be a good guy outside of the show, but an asshole on the show and that's fine. It seems like Billy wanted to be a wrestling bad guy but his world isn't scripted. So he is sometimes a dick in real life to build this character, but doing it in real life, which makes him a real life dick right?

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

That's what my impression has been and I'm trying to understand if that is incorrect. Like if it is really a documentary and he decided to be a dick in this documentary, then he his playing a dick in real life which is fundamentally being a dick. This film how the vast majority of people know him. Maybe he didn't realize this would become so well known, but it seems likely his hope was that it would and he would become more famous. But, he would be famous for being an asshole.
To put it in a pro wrestling analogy, you can play a bad guy in pro wrestling and everyone will know you as such. And you can get rich like that. But, that is entirely scripted everyone knows the deal up front and it is just acting. You can be a good guy outside of the show, but an asshole on the show and that's fine. It seems like Billy wanted to be a wrestling bad guy but his world isn't scripted. So he is sometimes a dick in real life to build this character, but doing it in real life, which makes him a real life dick right?

Adam you want to take this one?

Thanks
Blake

#106 4 years ago

I find it interesting that people say the Kong documentary was edited to make Billy look like a jerk. Yet he appeared on a Game Informer podcast i want to say about a year ago and he acted like the same jerk i saw in the documentary.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

So he is sometimes a dick in real life to build this character, but doing it in real life, which makes him a real life dick right?

The way I see it, he sometimes plays a character when being filmed/recorded, but drops that persona when doing meet & greets or going through his day-to-day life. It's not uncommon for a performer to do.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Personally, I probably wouldn't, but some people like to do it or have a knack for it. Take some of the most famous villains in films--most probably weren't really villains in the personal lives, but they really could nail a part on the silver screen; and make some real bank capitalizing on that.

Quoted from porkcarrot:

Is it a movie or is it a documentary?

Well, both. The label "documentary" is treated with great flexibility, so it kind of gets applied to anything that meets a few bare minimum areas of its definition. But, for this film, it probably better fits the definition of a docudrama.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Tired of this douchebag already. I wouldn't like this guy no matter what. Jerk. I don't do hot sauce either. Probably a trust fund baby. Looks as if he was stoned back in the 80s. His hair looks stupid.

WTF dude that's a little much. I've had the hot sauce and it's like not the worst thing out there.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The way I see it, he sometimes plays a character when being filmed/recorded, but drops that persona when doing meet & greets or going through their day-to-day lives. It's not uncommon for a performer to do.

Personally, I probably wouldn't, but some people like to do it or have a knack for it. Take some of the most famous villains in films--most probably weren't really villains in the personal lives, but they really could nail a part on the silver screen; and make some real bank capitalizing on that.

Well, both. The label "documentary" is treated with great flexibility, so it kind of gets applied to anything that meets a few bare minimum areas of its definition. But, for this film, it probably better fits the definition of a docudrama.

Ok, so that kinda comes back to my question of how scripted it was. Did Steve, Walter Day, and other main characters whose names I don't know off the top of my head, know going in or even before it happened what Billy was going to do and say? Was it decided amongst them that he was going to play the bad guy for this movie? Or were they mostly playing it straight and Billy and probably the director decided to have him be a dick for the drama?

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

Ok, so that kinda comes back to my question of how scripted it was. Did Steve, Walter Day, and other main characters whose names I don't know off the top of my head, know going in or even before it happened what Billy was going to do and say? Was it decided amongst them that he was going to play the bad guy for this movie? Or were they mostly playing it straight and Billy and probably the director decided to have him be a dick for the drama?

I have no idea. I wasn't there, lol

Probably a combination of script work and creative editing, which is usually the case with stuff like this.

Also keep in mind, that there probably isn't just one take of a scene. Directors usually do several takes. They sometimes issue different directions for the takes. Make it happy, sad, angry, stress this word or that word, shake a fist, etc. The actor often has no idea which take actually ends up getting used.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

He doesn't even have social media pages.

He's on Twitter

#112 4 years ago

I do find this discussion more interesting than another Elvira themed pinball machine, no doubt about that.

#113 4 years ago

So basically Billy Mitchell plays a dick publicly and willingly portrays that persona to further his brand. That's totally fine and not at all a new thing. But in doing so it seems pointless to argue his is a good guy if you meet him. That isn't the image he has chosen and it is expected and wanted that most people will think he is a dick. With that comes the fact that when accused of cheating, most of those people who think he is a dick will have no problem believing he cheated. That might not be fair, but he brought that on himself.

Now if there is proof that he cheated on any of his records, it is totally justified and correct to remove all his records. I don't know nearly enough about DK to know if he did, but given both his persona and his relationship with the guy who had the drag race record and was proven to have cheated I find it easy to believe he did. Let's be honest, if your public persona is being the bad guy, cheating a high score plays right into that.

#114 4 years ago

Wait, being accused of cheating disqualifies one for life?

I could name some pro sports players who would have had rather shortened careers in that case...

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

What is his legal basis for demanding his scores be added back to the Twin Galaxies listing? They are a private company and can allow/exclude whoever they want.

I don't see a legal basis to require Twin Galaxies to add Billy back into their listings. Billy's letter says that if they don't add him back in, he'll sue them for defamation. No idea if he's got a legal claim against Twin Galaxies. So far as I can tell, their statement was just that they caught him cheating at DK once. Unless he can prove that they knew or should have known he wasn't cheating but said it anyway, he's probably hosed. From a quick skim through his amateur evidence package (note to self, always start legal brief with booth girl pics), I don't see that happening.

Billy might have a claim against Guinness for implying that his unchallenged records "NEVER WERE," though their wording is careful and vague enough that they're probably OK. But even if he won that lawsuit, he's not going to get a court order requiring Guinness to identify him as the record holder going forward.

I understand Billy's overall beef -- by all accounts he legitimately set a bunch of records, and it seems a little weird to say that some other guy was the first person to "beat" Pacman when there's no reason to think that particular score was a cheat. But Twin Galaxies gets to set their own policies, and if it's "one strike and we erase you from history entirely" then so be it. And Guinness can rely on whatever sources they want to prove up the "world records" they chose to publish, even if that means they ignore a bunch of seemingly legit records in the process.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I could name some pro sports players who would have had rather shortened careers in that case...

Pete Rose.

#117 4 years ago

The Chicago White Sox team from 1919.

LTG : )

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The Chicago White Sox team from 1919.

LTG : )

Say it aint so, Joe.

I have a feeling although Pete Rose is banned for life, there will be a new movement to get him in after he dies.

#119 4 years ago

So he's a cheater in the videogame world and a gentleman and nice guy in the real world?

That's quite the paradox.

#120 4 years ago

I choose to ignore the rest of this thread due to my love of King of Kong. lol

#121 4 years ago

And 3lvira is coming out ! That's a para...d or x.

#122 4 years ago

Well Twin Galaxies would say Billy wasn't just accused of cheating, he was found to have cheated following whatever their protocols are. At which point they not only DQ'd him for life, they scrubbed his old stats from the record books. Which seems extreme to me if some of those older scores are known to be valid, but hey, it's their record book so they can do whatever they want with it.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

And 3lvira is coming out !

As mentioned, that's a big "whoopy do!", from where I'm standing.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As mentioned, that's a big "whoopy do!", from where I'm standing.

Critical question: is it "whoopy do" or "whoop-dee-do"?

#125 4 years ago

I just want to know where I can get the necessary training to get paid to be a "Donkey Kong Expert".
Perhaps there is a short course available on line that would provide the skill required.
Maybe you just have to reach a certain skill level proven by some level of high scores.
I wonder how much that expert job pays?

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

is it "whoopy do" or "whoop-dee-do"?

I was trying to figure that out, but auto incorrect decided that for me.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was trying to figure that out, but auto incorrect decided that for me.

Well, Apple knows best.

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Well, Apple knows best.

I am presently on Windows which is slightly different. This is why my post count seems to be so high. I'm always having to go back and correct what either company thinks is best. Rarely do either help.

#129 4 years ago

Most/all of Billy's defense is based on a record attempt video. Billy claims that King of Kong faked a scene and misused the score attempt video that was never before seen, in an attempt to create drama.

Take a look at the video I posted in post #41 of this thread. The record attempt video of that "fake KOK scene" that was, according to Billy, just shown and misused in KOK was actually on MTV news 2 years prior. His whole case is about this being a KOK attack. He had been using and bragging about that score for years.

Case closed.

#130 4 years ago

Pete Rose gambled on baseball while he was a manager, and more than likely while he was playing as well. But I don't think that necessarily makes him a cheater, especially if you are looking at his playing accomplishments. That being said, he has no business being in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He knew full good and well that he was playing with fire and what the consequences would be if he got caught.

#131 4 years ago

That story is getting shadier by the minute. So Pineiro started claiming that his signature was forged and that he did not write the new endorsement letter.
Later he claims that he signed an incomplete letter without seeing the final version and did not know the exact content.

I find the latter to be absurd given the role he played in debunking the fake high scores and his obvious tendency to be thorough in what he does. And I find the forged letter to be too far fetched too.

So now more lawyers are involved. It’s really time to take the popcorn out and see what comes next.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Why is this even being talked about on Pinside. This is a KLOV topic. Billy Mitchell is a video game player. He has nothing to do with pinball and he does not even like playing pinball anymore. This is Pinside not VideoSide. Billy Mitchell is becoming toxic like this Kanada kid was.

Lol, look at the subforum this thread is in.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

He’s actually very kind, especially with kids. The tough guy thing is an act for the camera.

Yes. Billy is hilarious and VERY nice. There is Billy Mitchell the man and then Billy Mitchell the character. The character is a crass asshole. The man is a nice guy that one would like to have a beer with.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Yes. Billy is hilarious and VERY nice. There is Billy Mitchell the man and then Billy Mitchell the character. The character is a crass asshole. The man is a nice guy that one would like to have a beer with.

That's always been my suspicion.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I just want to know where I can get the necessary training to get paid to be a "Donkey Kong Expert".
Perhaps there is a short course available on line that would provide the skill required.
Maybe you just have to reach a certain skill level proven by some level of high scores.

helpful short courses:

film editing for dummies, given by dummies

lying while keeping a poker face

consistent messaging by lying often

donkey kong 411

hot sauce essentials

first rule of emulator club - shh

#136 4 years ago

Billy may not be aware of the Lamborghini Lawyer and his new Civil case department. Small retainer required up-front......

Added over 4 years ago:

I am retracting the above post.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

helpful short courses:
film editing for dummies, given by dummies
lying while keeping a poker face
consistent messaging by lying often
donkey kong 411
hot sauce essentials

If it pays about $100 per hour, I might consider it.
However, I think there will be a rather small customer base, so I might have to reconsider and keep my day job.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

just curious if he still wears sweatbands and a half shirt when he plays?

I hope so, I dont want to be the only one...

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

So he's a cheater in the videogame world and a gentleman and nice guy in the real world?
That's quite the paradox.

So wait....if that's true what about pro wrestlers? Are the bad guys actually good guys in real life?

I'm confused....

#140 4 years ago

Hulk Hogan was once a bad guy in the wrestling world. I met Billy at an event once and he was nice to me. We talked for awhile and I honestly didn't even know who he was. He just seemed like a different kind of dude so I started talking to him.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

You can write your own ticket.

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

That being said, he has no business being in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Pete Rose was an exceptional player, he is being denied BHOF out of spite.

Banning him for gambling is one thing, he earned being in the hall of fame for his playing.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Pete Rose was an exceptional player, he is being denied BHOF out of spite.
Banning him for gambling is one thing, he earned being in the hall of fame for his playing.

As said, he is banned for life.

When he dies that opens a whole new can of worms.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As said, he is banned for life. When he dies that opens a whole new can of worms.

Banned for afterlife.

Is there a Gambling HOF? Seems like he'd be a shoe-in for that at least.

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Banned for afterlife.

Apparently that's what happened to Shoeless Joe Jackson. Even though he was initially only banned for life.

Tough league.

#146 4 years ago

Most bad guy wrestlers are really nice guys in real life including Andre the Giant.

When is the MLB going to wipe all of the stats of the steroid players?

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Most bad guy wrestlers are really nice guys in real life including Andre the Giant.

Andre would be a nice guy in real afterlife at this point. RIP.

#148 4 years ago

Does he have a good haircut in real life?

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

So wait....if that's true what about pro wrestlers? Are the bad guys actually good guys in real life?
I'm confused....

Don't be confused. Was 'King of Kong' scripted? That's the only difference really. Or did I just ruin professional wrestling for you?

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As said, he is banned for life.
When he dies that opens a whole new can of worms.

Too bad he just didn't inject steroids or was a wife beater, he'd be in for sure then.

There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/billy-mitchell-contests-game-record-removals-amp-demands-reinstatement/page/3?hl=raegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.