• 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 65 days ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0058.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 19-26-50 Billy Mitchell contests game record removals & demands reinstatement Arcade and video games Pi
some-people-are-so-touchy-get-over-it (resized).png
e2138b518a99b793c575bd215a7cca513feaddd5 (resized).png
6A501C77-9F64-4C66-88FF-69BB16ED450A (resized).jpeg
2f9.gif
D6B21953-CF97-4AB5-BCCD-0DC50EFA97CD (resized).jpeg
A2BEDEB0-9CFA-4248-B9E6-76C5CF141DEA (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20221111-190855 (resized).png
58FB2E43-4B7A-4E3B-A781-03E6B14D9434 (resized).jpeg
79BBD52B-200D-48FC-8ED6-F7F847E89620 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 425 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

The King of Kong is such a great movie but wouldnt surprise me to hear its made to make Billy look bad. Its a movie after all.
Speaking of which, ive been looking for a King of Kong movie poster for years but cant find anything larger than 11 x 17.

Rager170 ive got one of these from displate!

https://displate.com/displate/160116

#52 4 years ago

Why is this even being talked about on Pinside. This is a KLOV topic. Billy Mitchell is a video game player. He has nothing to do with pinball and he does not even like playing pinball anymore. This is Pinside not VideoSide. Billy Mitchell is becoming toxic like this Kanada kid was.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Why is this even being talked about on Pinside. This is a KLOV topic. Billy Mitchell is a video game player. He has nothing to do with pinball and he does not even like playing pinball.

Lots of things are discussed on Pinside that arent pinball related.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from wfumed2:

rager170 ive got one of these from displate!
https://displate.com/displate/160116

Thanks but ive actually been searching for this one.

king of kong (resized).pngking of kong (resized).png
#55 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

For you guys that haven't followed close, he cheated for the DK score, he got caught, he couldn't prove otherwise. Thus all his records removed.
Then he started twitch channel trying to prove he could do it, still can't. Of course Mame and cheating, never get brought up in chat. Of course his record(s) removal never get brought up.
He did do and still can do a perfect Pacman game. But cry like a baby those records are all gone too, what do cheaters expect?
Nice guy, bad guy it doesn't really matter.
He made his cracker crumb bed, now lie in it!!
I don't think TG and Guinness are gonna roll over for him. This should get interesting.
It's like jplop counter sueing folks he ripped off, it doesn't make sense to me.

He has beaten the million mark live on twitch, and if you have researched the cheating claims against them they're not accurate. No version of MAME existed at the time that generated the levels in that manner.

#56 4 years ago

First World Problems here. Seriously, I can't even imagine what the attraction is. Get on with your life.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

First World Problems here. Seriously, I can't even imagine what the attraction is. Get on with your life.

Have you ever tried to play Donkey Kong? Its amazingly hard and its an amazing feat to be able to do what these guys do. Even Mitchell's Pacman abilities are unreal. Can you even imagine being able to complete Pacman without dying and getting every pellet, ghost and fruit? Thats insane!

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

He has beaten the million mark live on twitch, and if you have researched the cheating claims against them they're not accurate. No version of MAME existed at the time that generated the levels in that manner.

Plus he is now 54 when your reflexes/stamina aren't what they were in your teens.

#59 4 years ago

You're on a pinball forum telling people to get on with their life and get over first world problems...

Alanis Morissette is going to add a new verse to her song.

#60 4 years ago

Judgy McJudgersons.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

You're on a pinball forum telling people to get on with their life and get over first world problems...
Alanis Morissette is going to add a new verse to her song.

Just seems like a 54 year old could let it go and do other things in his life. I was not telling everyone here to get on with their life, just this guy. Sheesee....can't even sneeze without offending someone.

Additionally, Alanis Morissette's song did not have one bit of irony in it. Ironic, don't you think?

#62 4 years ago

Additionally, Alanis Morissette's song did not have one bit of irony in it. Ironic, don't you think?

Almost none, and it forever tainted the use of the word. To the point where Paul Walker dies in a fiery car crash and it's called "ironic". UUUUUGGGGHHHH!

RE: Billy Mitchell, scratchy VHS tapes and maybe using MAME doesn't fly in the hyper-observant world of the internet. I swear if that JFK assassination happened today the crime would be solved 3 seconds after the Zapruder film was uploaded to YouTube.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Almost none, and it forever tainted the use of the word. To the point where Paul Walker dies in a fiery car crash and it's called "ironic". UUUUUGGGGHHHH!
RE: Billy Mitchell, scratchy VHS tapes and maybe using MAME doesn't fly in the hyper-observant world of the internet. I swear if that JFK assassination happened today the crime would be solved 3 seconds after the Zapruder film was uploaded to YouTube.

Truer words have never been spoken.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE REDDIT AUTISTS!!!

Seriously, don't.

It's comical how wrong it has gone for people that tried, up to, and including, U.S. Presidential Candidates.

(Not directed at you Ben, just in general...)

(ETA: Thought that I would add "Autists" is not being used in a pejorative fashion here; rather a self appointed name of the hyper fact checkers over there)

#64 4 years ago

You're on a pinball forum, on a thread you think is pointless, telling people to get a life. Do you not see the irony in that statement??

Disregard. I see someone already noticed and posted about the ridiculousness of your post.

#65 4 years ago

do you have to keep a 80's haircut to stay relevant with the 80's games? just curious if he still wears sweatbands and a half shirt when he plays?

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Yes they did just pull scores for no reason at all. He was given opportunity to duplicate tape in the fashion he claimed to have made it, his own team couldn't. Please explain.

Maybe keep the word Mame out ?? The way the boards load on his tape is not correct with arcade game hardware so something isn't correct.
hitting the mil mark and getting that extra 47k points is a huge deal.

And i believe the current record that is much higher was done on twitch as well so...

His answers and actions speak for themselves.

He is now in the thief that gets caught robbing your house, sueing you for his hand getting cut on the glass of the patio door as he tries to make his escape mode.

I find it interesting.

#67 4 years ago

Any chance the whole saga is just a publicity stunt? Staying current in a niche world?

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm curious why it took him an entire year to file?

Could simply be preparation.

#69 4 years ago

I like this story. We are not all freaking crazy about our scores in pinball. I'm not, anyways.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Any chance the whole saga is just a publicity stunt? Staying current in a niche world?

There is always that chance I bet.

#71 4 years ago

I just can't resist mentioning that if he got these high scores, he could just do it again under circumstances that could not be refuted, on video, and regain his high score legacy. No lawsuit required under that scheme. Perhaps he can't do it anymore...

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I just can't resist mentioning that if he got these high scores, he could just do it again under circumstances that could not be refuted, on video, and regain his high score legacy. No lawsuit required under that scheme. Perhaps he can't do it anymore...

and he couldn’t do it then either. Billy didn’t follow the rules for submitting scores via video because he couldn’t do it without using an emulator, taking breaks, providing edited videos and lying. So much lying and cheating, I wish he’d come clean.

#73 4 years ago

I met him at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown several years ago. He was personable and really good with the kids. He was generous with my son and asked for nothing in return. Yes, the film made him to be a jerk. It was just a film. My in person impression was much more important to me than the film.

I don't care too much about the records, but it is kind of his thing. I understand why its important to him to clear his name.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Funny. That picture is at Expo. Where he hogged a CGC Pacman game and played it to 283 levels until the game freezes at that point. Ignoring kids that wanted to play it. Then stood by it so people could get his picture next to it. And then went to get more people over to see it. Unfortunately someone turned the game off and back on wiping his score.
LTG : )

Always been nice to people , and sure its hogging the machine, he's showing off his skills.

#75 4 years ago

I vote for a Billy emoji.

Who can make a nice one ??

With that unique hair.

Could use a salt on a wound one, and crossing fingers behind the back too.

#76 4 years ago

It's his claim to fame. You really can't blame him for trying.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Have you ever tried to play Donkey Kong?

Yeah, about 40 years ago.....

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

It's his claim to fame. You really can't blame him for trying.

Can I try anyway?

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Yes they did just pull scores for no reason at all. He was given opportunity to duplicate tape in the fashion he claimed to have made it, his own team couldn't. Please explain.
Maybe keep the word Mame out ?? The way the boards load on his tape is not correct with arcade game hardware so something isn't correct.
hitting the mil mark and getting that extra 47k points is a huge deal.
And i believe the current record that is much higher was done on twitch as well so...
His answers and actions speak for themselves.
He is now in the thief that gets caught robbing your house, sueing you for his hand getting cut on the glass of the patio door as he tries to make his escape mode.
I find it interesting.

I'm not sure what you're stating...

He did duplicate both scores in question live on twitch, so not sure what you're referring to 47k points?

Yea Lakeman set his record on twitch, so? What's your point?

#80 4 years ago

Can I try anyway?

It's a free country.

#81 4 years ago

Very few people have anything but positive things to say about Billy Mitchell and Walter Day after meeting them in person. Like many have said before, King of Kong was a movie first (for your entertainment) and a documentary second (for your information). He absolutely portrayed the bad guy image and many who were in the film were shocked at how bad they made him out to be. He is constantly playing in public settings and even though you know he is a hardcore world record type player, he never shows anything but love to fans and spectators.

For folks who may not know, in the past 6 months he has reclaimed his DK scores on a live twitch stream in a public setting. And completed another PERFECT game of Pacman at Funspot in Laconia NH for all to see and again streamed on his twitch channel (accompanied by Robbie Lakeman who is a World Record DK player). The later was on July 4th weekend and was the 20th anniversary of his original Perfect Pacman game.

Thanks
Blake

#82 4 years ago

He should probably stick with what he does best.

3015710-2050724787-sauce (resized).jpg3015710-2050724787-sauce (resized).jpg
#83 4 years ago

I have to believe that billy has requested that the records be reinstated prior

So now that he has been rejected he has brought in the lawyers. Let me say that there is no way he would do this without at least 80 percent proof of his vindication. I say go billy go

Seek and achieve justice. If he is for real he deserves this redemption

Further the enture dk community still loves him and robbie lakeman is one of his besties. He has plenty of backers and allies. Enough to compel cooperation.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

The Master Blaster says "All signs point to yes"

BadPacBoys (resized).jpgBadPacBoys (resized).jpg
#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Why is this even being talked about on Pinside. This is a KLOV topic. Billy Mitchell is a video game player. He has nothing to do with pinball and he does not even like playing pinball.

This is actually 100% false. If you have ever heard Billy discussing how he got into video games you would know that it all started with PINBALL. And he was a very good player at that.

Thanks
Blake

#86 4 years ago

Blake is here, everyone! Lemme go pull my chair up and get some popcorn in the microwave.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Blake is here, everyone! Lemme go pull my chair up and get some popcorn in the microwave.

Jody......(tilting my head)....Jody.

Thanks
Blake

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

did you not see the lionman thread?

#89 4 years ago

I'm curious about this but less than informed. There are a lot of people who defend Billy and say the movie was edited to make him look bad. It has been a while since I watched King of Kong, but I recall there were several things he did and said that were dickish. Did he not do/say those things? Were they somehow taken completely out of context?

I may not have all the details right, but the conclusion of the film was an event that Billy and Steve were both at and the hope was they would face off. But Billy did not play and as I recall it is portrayed that he didn't speak to Steve or really even acknowledge him. Also, while Steve was working toward the record or maybe even beat it, Billy sent in a new video of him beating the record but didn't come in person. How much of that happened?

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

I'm curious about this but less than informed. There are a lot of people who defend Billy and say the movie was edited to make him look bad. It has been a while since I watched King of Kong, but I recall there were several things he did and said that were dickish. Did he not do/say those things? Were they somehow taken completely out of context?
I may not have all the details right, but the conclusion of the film was an event that Billy and Steve were both at and the hope was they would face off. But Billy did not play and as I recall it is portrayed that he didn't speak to Steve or really even acknowledge him. Also, while Steve was working toward the record or maybe even beat it, Billy sent in a new video of him beating the record but didn't come in person. How much of that happened?

He like Steve Wiebe was playing a role. The drama of the movie was built on Billy playing the bad guy. The mean, cocky, brash, poor sport that was displayed during the movie. Wiebe played the kind loveable, always draws the short straw, has the smarts but never quite gets the girl or wins the race kind of guy.

Most people on forums dislike Billy. Most who meet him in REAL LIFE, think hes a super kind, down to earth, easy going dude.

Thanks
Blake

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

He like Steve Wiebe was playing a role. The drama of the movie was built on Billy playing the bad guy. The mean, cocky, brash, poor sport that was displayed during the movie. Wiebe played the kind loveable, always draws the short straw, has the smarts but never quite gets the girl or wins the race kind of guy.
Most people on forums dislike Billy. Most who meet him in REAL LIFE, think hes a super kind, down to earth, easy going dude.
Thanks
Blake

So is the movie fake then? Was is scripted? Did these things not happen in real life?

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

So is the movie fake then? Was is scripted? Did these things not happen in real life?

It certainly had a script. Most events were over dramatized as you would imagine a movie for entertainment would be.

Thanks
Blake

#93 4 years ago

BM has been caught cheating several times. His only defense would seem to be, but I didn't cheat on every score. He is immortalized as the eternal putz/bully/douche in King of Kong, and no, it was not scripted, and not dramatized. BM comes off as a jerk because that's how he was at the time. He may have mellowed, who knows? But yeah, he and a few others have been busted, and now they're trying to bluster their way out of it by bunching together on forums to boost each other's claims of being honest and being great guys.....welcome to the internet.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

BM has been caught cheating several times. His only defense would seem to be, but I didn't cheat on every score. He is immortalized as the eternal putz/bully/douche in King of Kong, and no, it was not scripted, and not dramatized. BM comes off as a jerk because that's how he was at the time. He may have mellowed, who knows? But yeah, he and a few others have been busted, and now they're trying to bluster their way out of it by bunching together on forums to boost each other's claims of being honest and being great guys.....welcome to the internet.

Show me one forum that Billy Mitchell is on. He doesn't even have social media pages. He's been recorded many times stating the later. Twitch is about the only internet base that he resides on.

Thanks
Blake

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

So is the movie fake then?

Some of the broad strokes are there, just like many "based on true events" movies. But, there was a lot of creative license that went into it to create drama and to try to make an interesting story with interesting characters.

Quoted from porkcarrot:

Was is scripted?

Yes

Quoted from porkcarrot:

Did these things not happen in real life?

In a general sense, some things did, some things didn't. Details were added, removed, or rearranged to create drama.

Most documentaries are carefully edited to tell a specific story. Almost no documentaries are done in a way where someone just hits record and then goes straight to DVD.

For example, here's a typical pinball tournament (2019 NY state championships), but the footage was edited down with music added, and included a narrator explaining what was going on, about the players, and the stakes. It adds a little more excitement for a viewer than just a camera on a live stream.

For comparison, a 2018 NY state championships live stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball/video/220853934

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

I guess it's only cheating if you get caught...

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some of the broad strokes are there, just like many "based on true events" movies. But, there was a lot of creative license that went into it to create drama and to try to make an interesting story with interesting characters.

Yes

In a general sense, some things did, some things didn't. Details were added, removed, or rearranged to create drama.
Most documentaries are carefully edited to tell a specific story. Almost no documentaries are done in a way where someone just hits record and then goes straight to DVD.
For example, here's a typical pinball tournament, but the footage was edited down, and included a narrator explaining what was going on, about the players, and the stakes. It adds a little more excitement for a viewer than just a camera on a live stream.

This just makes it more confusing to me. Is it a movie or is it a documentary? Like did Steve know the things Billy was going to do an say or did Billy do that in order to "play the bad guy" because he knew there were cameras there? How much was everyone in on it?

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

More important why on earth would you play "the villain" in a movie about you? If someone wanted to shoot a movie about some event in my life and told me "ok I want you to play a dickhead in this scene" when I wasn't I'd walk out.

Billy showed on the screen what Billy wanted people to see on the screen.

#99 4 years ago

Tired of this douchebag already. I wouldn't like this guy no matter what. Jerk. I don't do hot sauce either. Probably a trust fund baby. Looks as if he was stoned back in the 80s. His hair looks stupid.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Tired of this douchebag already. I wouldn't like this guy no matter what. Jerk. I don't do hot sauce either. Probably a trust fund baby. Looks as if he was stoned back in the 80s. His hair looks stupid.

Don't hold back now...

There are 425 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/billy-mitchell-contests-game-record-removals-amp-demands-reinstatement/page/2?hl=twoheartedmale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.