Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Spectra BV BKSOR Inside (resized).jpg
    Pyramid Spectra on BKSOR (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheRudyB.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 4 years ago

I know that Mars/MEI is the standard/preferred bill acceptor out there, but I was intrigued by the Pyramid Spectra series, so I grabbed one of them. The big reason I wanted to try it was because it has a lighted "high visibility" bezel with color LED effects and a lighted bill insertion slot, whereas the Mars typically only has two little green arrows that blink and point to an unlit bill insertion slot. See (and get ready to turn the volume down instantly):

It has worked perfectly in my BKSOR. You only need to program it with your desired options (dominations to accept/not accept within its capabilities; I bought the one that accepts up to $20 bills max; not sure why I'd want one that takes 50's and 100's ... and to a point even 20's are pushing it.) The programming is done via DIP switch settings or you can get out your #2 pencils and just fill in a few dots on a copy of the provided dollar bill-sized programming template - then just feed it into the acceptor!

The Pyramid Spectra also comes pre-programmed with a default bezel LED lightshow, but (if you want to spring for the extra ~ $50 cable) you can also connect it to a PC and using their software design your own light shows, pick colors, etc. for your bezel. So for example in a sports bar, you could program it to just flash the home team's colors.

I called tech support at Stern and they set me the cable at no cost (not even for shipping.) But yes: you need a 110v acceptor regardless of brand.

Note that I don't work for Pyramid or have any relationship with them other than as a happy customer with this first acceptor I've ever purchased from them.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

What did you pay for the Pyramid bill acceptor? Where did you buy it from? What operating voltage is it? Is it a stacker model (what capacity is the magazine? ) or is it stackerless?
    All new pinball machines are supplied with a Happ Controls coin door which has a full sized cutout hole to fit the entire front of the bill acceptor. It appears this bill acceptor would not fit coin doors on older pinball machines which were made for Mars "VFM" series bill acceptors. Those older doors had two holes cut out in the door.

I purchased my bill acceptor from these fine folks (who offer a huge range of different bill acceptor brands and configurations):

https://www.billacceptors.us/pyramid-stacker-bill-acceptors/?sort=featured&page=2

I specifically purchased the Pyramid Spectra S400-UA3 which is a 300-bill capacity upstacker. 110v model. I paid $227.00 plus tax and shipping.
    Pyramid Spectra on BKSOR (resized).pngPyramid Spectra on BKSOR (resized).png

Spectra BV BKSOR Inside (resized).jpgSpectra BV BKSOR Inside (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheRudyB.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bill-validator-for-stern-pins?tu=TheRudyB and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.