New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 175964)

Bill acceptor installation help for Sam & Spike systems

By RobOOZE

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20161214_150954_1481829236719 (resized).jpg
20161214_114729 (resized).jpg
20161214_114639 (resized).jpg
20161214_114633 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

What is the best bill acceptor to put on stern pinball with Sam or Spike system? I bought the Mars series 2000 and they don't work. Does anyone have some on location that work great? I know the games have a list of like three different ones inside the coin door, but I'm not at the location at the time and can't find anything in manual. I bought the mars before I saw the list and they fit perfectly inside the coin door, but kept flashing the red light that means the software doesn't match. I thought maybe someone on here could help. Any help would be much appreciated. I would like to try to order them today if possible.

I have games at a location that doesn't have a change machine and most customers said they would play more if they a bill acceptor.

#2 3 years ago

i use mars in all of mine, both sam and spike. Not sure why yours isnt working. What do you have the settings set at on the side of the bill validator, also have you enabled it within the software of the machine?

#3 3 years ago

I did go into setting and turn it on. Here are some picks of the acceptor. Possibly could I have the wrong cable? It plugs into the acceptor and the stern cable.

20161214_114633 (resized).jpg

20161214_114639 (resized).jpg

20161214_114729 (resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

try turning switch 7 and 8 off (looks like 8 is already off)

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for the help. I going try to install it again as soon as the location opens.

#6 3 years ago

You bought a used one - does it work ?

It's 110AC, did you run the extra Stern cable from it to the power supply box in the head ?

I'd try 7 & 8 off.

LTG : )

#7 3 years ago

Yes, on Ghostbusters I ran the extra stern cable down. They are used with 60 day warranties. Maybe they don't work, but I'll find out a little later today. Thanks for all the help.

#8 3 years ago

The "VN" part of the model number indicates you have bill acceptors intended for vending machines not amusement games. You want bill acceptors with an "AE" prefix (Amusement & Entertainment applications).

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

The "VN" part of the model number indicates you have bill acceptors intended for vending machines not amusement games. You want bill acceptors with an "AE" prefix (Amusement & Entertainment applications).

The VN in this case should still work. it's not an MDB model, so it still sends out pulses for credits instead of the communication protocol.

Unfortunately, it's all guessing with the statement 'they don't work'.
Does it power up or not?
Does it accept a dollar or reject it?
Does it accept a dollar and just not give credits?

More info is really needed, or else it's just a 'check everything!'.

#10 3 years ago

you need either a 2400 or 2600 series bill acceptor. the 2500 series (which is what you have) is for vending machines.

you want something with either a red (2400) or green (2600) label on the sides.

also, make sure it is a 110Vac unit. they do make 12Vdc and 24Vdc units that will not work with the harness you have.

hope this helps you.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

you need either a 2400 or 2600 series bill acceptor. the 2500 series (which is what you have) is for vending machines.

No, nono.

Here's a summary of hte model number-
It is broken down into:
"VN2400R-U2M-XX"
The first two are the usage. 'VN' is 'Vending'. 'AE' is Amusement. Vending models offer coupon coding, and come in 24v MDB models. Amusement models don't.
The third digit is the 2xxx model range. Only 2xxx models will fit pin doors.
The 4th position can be a 3 through 8, and are called (and accept [$ bills / directions]):

3: Economy [1, 2 / 2]
4: Reference [1, 2, 5 / 4]
5: Economy Reference [1, 2, 5 / 4]
6: Premium [1, 2, 5, 10, 20 / 4]
7: Recycler Ready [1, 2, 5, 10, 20 / 4]
8: Reference Expanded [1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 / 4]

The 5th position is the bezel. Only numbers 1 or 4 will fit in pin doors. Faceplates are, for the most part, interchangeable.
The 6th position is the voltage. WPC Machines (and maybe 2000-2010's Sterns?) only accept 110v, so this digit must be a '1'.
The 7th position, if present, is an 'R', and means it came with a Recycler unit. Pin games, and AE models do not support Recycler units.
The first item after the dash is either 'U' or 'D', indicating Upstacker or Downstacker.
The second position after the dash is the size of magazine that the unit was shipped with. Interchangeable, and various sizes can fit depending on game maker.
The third is the harness shipped with. Usually, an 'E' is required, the "9-pin VFM Style / Single Price" harness.
The final 'XX" is the country code. Usually, 'US'.

Now, as you can see on the label - and remember, pin games can only accept pulse interface - dip switches #7 and #8 both need to be OFF. You also will need to check your harness - make sure the proper pins are connected up. It's recommended to have it 1 pulse per dollar, as well, but will require the correct coin input to be wired to, and the game knows the value of said coin input.

If it's accepting bills, but not registering credits (again, need more than "they don't work"..), then it's possible that the serial line is being output and not the pulse wires. (In other words, wrong harness!)

If anyone is interested, I have a full document spelling out the model numbers available, and I'd be happy to forward it to anyone interested.

#12 3 years ago

It doesn't work. It's powering on and you can hear the motor for a second and that's it. Doesn't even try to take bills. Here is a pic of whats inside the Stern coin door.

Thanks to everyone for your help and all information.

20161214_150954_1481829236719 (resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from RobOOZE:

It doesn't work. It's powering on and you can hear the motor for a second and that's it. Doesn't even try to take bills. Here is a pic of whats inside the Stern coin door.
Thanks to everyone for your help and all information.

Sounds like either:
(1) The 'Enable' pin is being held inactive, preventing the DBA from accepting anything, or
(2) The DBA is going into an error mode.
Look on the back of the DBA, under the magazine, after it powers up. There will be a red light. Count the number of flashes, or if it's solid. Likely, since it's happening on all your DBAs, it's #1 above.. likely you have the wrong adapter for pulse output..

#14 3 years ago

The red light flashes twice. Supposedly means to disabled from mech/VMC. Wrong cable maybe?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from RobOOZE:

Best bet? Get an AE model and save yourself the headaches. AE's go with pins effortlessly. VN's are a pain to work with in pins.

5 months later
#16 3 years ago

The Mars "AE" models seem to work well with pins and video arcade games.

Model AE2411 is a good one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside