coincidence (resized).jpg
stern-pinball2011-10-1406-22-10600.jpg
image-912.jpg
1418572437970.jpg
Batman G.jpg
15422_06_Destruction_flipper.jpg
hair-mouth-1.jpg
throw a fit.jpg
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I am compiling a list of Pinball "scandals", I'll add a poll later to see which one Pinsiders feel has had the biggest impact on the hobby. In no particular order:
VonnieD Kickstarter campaign
Phil's reveal about Dutch Pinball
WOZ Ruby Red announcement
Homepin bans North American customers
Bumper Action (JJP's Australian distributor) fiasco
Dennis Nordman leaves Heighway Pinball
Long wait for Jpop's games (Expo cabinet-only reveal)
Kevin goes quiet on Predator
Wayne at Mr Pinball Australia's original Medieval Madness remake
Walking Dead premium version announced "late"
Cunningham IPB Bankruptcy and Liquidation Scandal
MMR coin-mech-gate
I'm sure there are many I'm forgetting, what have I missed?
*P.S. I hope this doesn't offend, I know there are real people involved in these happenings, its just a way for us all to process the many recent ups and downs of this hobby.

TBD: To Be Determined

We need to wait and see if one of the present pre-order entitities fails to deliver games and/or refunds. That would be the biggest scandal, but hopefully never happens.
In my opinion, around 5 years is the time where one should assume the product will never be delivered.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I would say that pinball being illegal should definitely be on your list.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

The Campaign to Destroy Pinball

Sorry guys, limiting it to specific pinball company/manufacturer "scandals".

Quoted from stangbat:

The whole crapstorm/lawsuit that is brewing between Nucore (Big Guys Pinball) and Pinbox is entertaining if not scandalous.

Don't know that one, do you have a link?

#53 9 years ago

If this whole TBL saga continues to play out the way it is, it's gotta be in the Top 3.

#55 9 years ago

astro games and Black Sheep Squadron

#56 9 years ago

I think the word 'Scandal ' should be used only if customers have lost money
Did anyone loose money on Wayne's MM remake?

#57 9 years ago

Ok thanks, don't really fully understand what's going on there but I'll add it to the list.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

astro games and Black Sheep Squadron

Is that pinball or video games?

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Ok thanks, don't really fully understand what's going on there but I'll add it to the list.

Summary in a nutshell:

Pinball 2000 machines require a specific motherboard to operate. Without one, your game is a paperweight. Nucore allows you to run your game with any modern PC.

Nucore is taken off the market years ago for reasons we don't fully know. It will supposedly be coming back. People with broken Pin2k games start getting impatient, owners of working games get nervous about keeping their games running.

Pinbox is released claiming to be a Nucore replacement. Rejoice.

The makers of Nucore, Big Guys Pinball, determine that Pinbox is Nucore with the hardware dongle stripped away.

BGP figures out who released Pinbox. Lawsuit ensues. Claims of copyright infringement.

A developer from the QEMU project, the foundation upon which Nucore is built, arrives and claims that in actuality, Nucore infringes on QEMU's copyright.

Pot meet kettle? Who knows? Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion!

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Pot meet kettle? Who knows? Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion!

Batman G.jpgBatman G.jpg
#61 9 years ago

i think there's less than a dozen people in the world who care about the PPS coin mech thing, half of whom didn't even buy a MMR and just used it as a thing to advance their own anti-remake agenda. there certainly were a ton of pinside posts about it, but in terms of scandal, it is extremely low grade. a coin mech costs $10. hardly compares to the real scandals where people were losing thousands.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Sorry guys, limiting it to specific pinball company/manufacturer "scandals".

Don't know that one, do you have a link?

Google is your friend. Embrace it.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Google is your friend. Embrace it.

I wouldn't have got the great summary posted above by Stangbat if I had just Googled, glad I asked.

#64 9 years ago

2-3-4-5 Versions of a game....."LE" sometimes meaning nothing more than a fancy paint job

Kinda makes me scratch my head when an LE is made and then there are dozen's of Mods made and it always goes like this "This part was made for this area, and should have been here from the beginning" sheesh

WHHHHHATEEEEEVVVVVAAAAAA

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I'd say the biggest scandal in pinball history has to be Centerflanks Tron apron saga!

One: that was my apron.

Two: the Bumper fiasco was pretty darn bad. Horrific actually.

JPop, DP, Predator etc could all still crash or could all deliver and their delay or poor communication will be forgotten by most. We will know soon.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Some of these -including this one especially are not in the least bit scandals.

Wayno and the MM failure was the all time worst by the way.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not quite the travesty that was canceling Firefly.

Firefly was great; Arrested Development was sublime.

#68 9 years ago

Gottlieb sys1
parts could not be found to repair motherboards soon after production

#69 9 years ago

I hate it when I predict the future. See the post when this machine was announced.

Sean

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Some of these -including this one especially are not in the least bit scandals.
Wayno and the MM failure was the all time worst by the way.

I have a sneaky feeling that happened before OP was involved in pinball, and therefore dleant count. Don't forget he was also accepting pre-orders for CC at the same time.

#71 9 years ago

Twd thing irritates me! I'm very happy sterns making money, but this is just after they announced that there would be no more premiums..only le's and pros. If I were someone that purchased a twdle for the features I'd be flat out furious!!!! And at the least be writing them a nasty email about how the duped me for an extra thousand bucks

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i think there's less than a dozen people in the world who care about the PPS coin mech thing, half of whom didn't even buy a MMR and just used it as a thing to advance their own anti-remake agenda. there certainly were a ton of pinside posts about it, but in terms of scandal, it is extremely low grade. a coin mech costs $10. hardly compares to the real scandals where people were losing thousands.

I agree. MMR coin-mech-gate was about how PPS made a claim about their customer base after they announced MMR would ship without the mechs and then refused to support that claim. It was more how they handled (or not) a self-inflicted communication issue than any thing else. Not a scandal, just an inability to deal with a bump in the road.

I would just put PPS in the "new pin manufacturer who can't provide accurate forecasting on promised game and/or doesn't just shoot straight about some potentially bad news" scandal that JJP and just about every boutique maker has been in at one point or another.

The "scandal" is that many of the manufacturers are afraid that many on Pinside can't handle the truth. The only one that gets a pass from me is Spooky. Everyone else is or was a member of this club in 2014.

#73 9 years ago

Change title to "biggest scandal of 2014" and add a poll... Unsure though if the 9-choice limit will be sufficient.

Allow an option to change votes until Dec 31, because this seems like a hot topic

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I'm sure there are many I'm forgetting, what have I missed?

The first 70 years of the hobby. Which was before there was an active collector community.

If having a pinball machine in your home was outlawed, we'd have a lot less drama in the hobby.

#75 9 years ago

croc hunter - 2 proto type machines made but Australia Zoo told none were made.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

was this the pic ? ...think the rest got locked & tilted at some point.

hair-mouth-1.jpg 46 KB

That's from the cover of the movie, nymphomaniac.

Can't believe you guys didn't add the croc hunter pin. Added it for you in the list.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I have a sneaky feeling that happened before OP was involved in pinball, and therefore dleant count.

Wayne is in the list.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The first 70 years of the hobby. Which was before there was an active collector community.

I'm sure there are earlier "scandals". I think I remember hearing someone say in an interview that the design of Flash Gordon was stolen from Black Knight, there must be others like that.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Change title to "biggest scandal of 2014" and add a poll... Unsure though if the 9-choice limit will be sufficient.

OK, I might take that approach to narrow it down, good idea.

#80 9 years ago

Chicago Coin copying Gottlieb game designs and releasing them as their own (1960's / 1970's).

Manufacturers releasing games where hundreds of replays are possible to attempt to beat anti-gambling laws.

#81 9 years ago

The surprise of Tron LE nib buyers when they got a single coin chute with machine. SURPRISE! Says Stern, even though matrix said nothing about it and clearly showed the LE and Pro with dual coin slots.

Cost cutting bom says Stern. Too bad.

#82 9 years ago

PPS=Pinball Ponzi Scheme

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

PPS=Pinball Ponzi Scheme

ouch

#84 9 years ago

You should change this to:

Biggest Public Pinball "Scandal" of All Time

There are sooooo many things that Pinside doesn't know about that have gone down over the years.

#85 9 years ago

Most of the complaints seem to revolve around paying upfront for games. People hear about their "dream theme" and immediately are eager to send their money.

Imagine if this were the sales pitch:

"My dearest pinball comrade, we need your help. We are in the process of making a greta game of the unicorn which is of most appeal to players of the ball of pin. In return for your check of 20,000 we will be most grateful and would bestow upon you an edition that is limited of the game, a refund of 50,000 and a shirt made of the letter T. Our legal parliament says the game will of the value of 10,000 by the holiday with the X in it. I am anxious to wait for your reply."

People would laugh and ignore it.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I'm very happy sterns making money, but this is just after they announced that there would be no more premiums..only le's and pros.

This was a rumor from Expo that was taken out of context. Was never the case and it was not "announced". Gary did say that they were done making ACDC Premiums I believe.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

labnip scoops Stern on the next Tron themed pin... Tron Prequel
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-prequel-pinball
Stern throws massive fit basically destroying current office and has to move to new location as a result.
In a continued fit of madness, Stern unleashes an additional hoard of zombies on the market.
Endless threads ensue seeking to understand how all this zombie girth could have happened, all along not realizing it originated from the mind blowing Tron Prequel pin. Entire pinside abandons hatred of pre-orders and immediately pours billions into Tron Prequel pre-order making full payment in advance.
Significant exodus of liquid capital from individual savings accounts causes Wall Street to sell in shocking bear market.
As a result, oil prices collapse to reduce NAVL shipping costs for global wave of Tron Prequel pin shipments. Real Estate market booms as pinball owners so excited about getting their new Tron Prequel pin begin buying 2nd homes to store & play their new pin and house extra NIB Tron Prequel pins as their primary retirement assets for future sales, but continue to distribute propaganda that pins aren't investments. A few years later, labnip announces Tron Prequel Premium pin and the bleep hits the fan. Soon after PPS announces Tron Prequel R.
Pinside servers collapse under weight of scandal threads.
Pinsiders go crazy and begin playing pinball more, mostly their Tron Prequel pin

All that and no hitler reaction video?

#88 9 years ago

Don't know if this is a good suggestion or not, but would it be possible to have a link for each of the OP "scandals", I know they can each be googled or searched but having a link to each one, in one place would be pretty handy for anyone who hasn't heard of a partial scandal/story or for anyone who wants to catch up on the latest of any or all of them.

#89 9 years ago

Transformers LE - they got everyone pumped with Gomez's video of a transforming transformer and we were pumped for the LE vs. the Pro. We got a megatron that did not shoot the balls, no transforming toy and an air ball kit to install. Three versions of LE and so it began. If you spoke about in on their FB page you were banned for life. Well done Stern social dept.

#90 9 years ago

Carl vs. Patty J.

#91 9 years ago

pinmike tries to "steal" pins from silverman after silverman declines to risk picking them up due to gang activity in that particular area. aka the bottom boys thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-ad-i-have-ever-seen

at this particular time, that was the most drama in a pinside thread i ever saw.

#92 9 years ago

Scandal? or remote possibility?

Un fulfilled preorders morph into digital ebola stemming from an email anomaly in which mysterious code appears everytime a lie is told in a message response from a manufacturer.

*Cue head munching pinball cabs roaming Chicago looking for pin designers to consume for power ups*

#93 9 years ago

Ok, Jaws theme being built by new company, since Stern waited too long.

Send payments in full for preorder to: p.o. Box 101, My Town, USA.

Info and hand puppets tba @ a later date.

image-912.jpgimage-912.jpg

#94 9 years ago

Whenever i'm in Chicago catching up on pinside pinball scandals; I only eat genuine Garrett's popcorn!

1418572437970.jpg1418572437970.jpg
#95 9 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I think the word 'Scandal ' should be used only if customers have lost money
Did anyone loose money on Wayne's MM remake?

I did. My refund was less because of the difference in exchange rates when I got my refund.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I did. My refund was less because of the difference in exchange rates when I got my refund.

So you literally paid money for absolutely nothing. I wonder how many others.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

So you literally paid money for absolutely nothing. I wonder how many others.

Yes. I agreed to the lower amount because it took so long to even get a refund at all. I was waiting for months after getting excuses from Wayne about why it was taking so long, my credit card company said they could not help because of how much time elapsed between the purchase and claim, so when he told me it would be less because of the difference in exchange rates, I agreed to take the loss.

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This was a rumor from Expo that was taken out of context. Was never the case and it was not "announced". Gary did say that they were done making ACDC Premiums I believe.

Ahhhhh... My bad, I just remember the masses talking about it. Thanks for the clarification

#99 9 years ago

These look like controversies rather than scandals and for those who have been around the hobby longer than 24 months how about:

Ball bearings vs. Pinballs
The joys of petroleum distillates
MPE vs. PATZ
Superauctions worse than Hitler?
Clay takes his ball and goes home.
RGP tries to go Ferguson all over a young Pinside and gets a beatdown.

#100 9 years ago

Not pinball, but arcade folks will be familiar with the RAM controls saga.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=172867

I can't think of a similar parts scandal for Pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.99
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/biggest-pinball-scandal-of-all-time/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.