(Topic ID: 301366)

Bigger & Better — Pinball style! What ya got?!

By Riefepeters

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JuyInventory7 (resized).png
anchorb (resized).png
anchora (resized).jpg
5D4D06FF-C183-46CE-97A1-C8F7CAD28AF9 (resized).jpeg
5CAFC1FD-B629-486C-8F23-B3C13F5407E8 (resized).png
0DD3BF80-0147-4978-919D-833845A6E635 (resized).jpeg
BF6F27D9-00C0-4814-9C26-DD6ECEA50B00 (resized).jpeg
BF49D723-E4B9-475C-B321-A22F062B32E2 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Bigger and better. Classic. Start with a paper clip or penny and end up with a couch or mini fridge. Who doesn’t love that?!

My paper clip is a 1987 Gottlieb Monte Carlo. I picked her up when I was 16…22 years ago. After leaving for college she just sat in my parents basement. A few weeks ago, I got her back. With the flip of one switch under the cabinet…she booted right up. No big deal. It was like she hadn’t been neglected for 19 years (except for the crumbling rubbers).

Monte Carlo is so cheesy with its translite, faux marble, and laid back music that it’s almost actually good. I mean, a part of me was like, “man, I should just keep this thing!”

But then I got to thinking about some of the games I’ve put up in the past year and offered for sale or trade. People always want to be on the winning end of a trade deal. All of the sudden your game ain’t worth anything and their game is the cat’s meow. So I say…let me be on the winning end of this trade deal thing perpetuallly gosh darn it!!!

But this isn’t ‘Nam Pinside…there are rules here. So here they are…

I’m starting with Monte Carlo. Trades are open, and when I make a trade, that game will be up for trade. Any game I take in must be put up for trade.

If you offer me a trade, then I must accept if:
-the pinside value of your game is higher
-your game is not of an era pre solid state
-your game works 100% (or darn close - easy adjustments)
-your game is in good cosmetic shape (mostly talking playfield here - typical cabinet scuffs and dings are A-ok)
-it’s kid friendly (like visually - I’ve got 6 kids going on 7 with the oldest not yet 10…my wife did not let me keep my Future Spa or EATPM)
-you’re willing to come to me or make my drive less than 45 minutes from my house (yup, did I mention I have 6 kids going on 7? My wife expects me to help take care of them)

This thread will document all the trades made. If any! Who knows, maybe people will tell me I’m an idiot instead. That’s cool.

So…what ya got Pinside?!?!?! Starting trade value must be $1201 or higher according to Pinside’s $1200 valuation on my Monte Carlo.

0DD3BF80-0147-4978-919D-833845A6E635 (resized).jpeg0DD3BF80-0147-4978-919D-833845A6E635 (resized).jpeg5CAFC1FD-B629-486C-8F23-B3C13F5407E8 (resized).png5CAFC1FD-B629-486C-8F23-B3C13F5407E8 (resized).pngBF49D723-E4B9-475C-B321-A22F062B32E2 (resized).jpegBF49D723-E4B9-475C-B321-A22F062B32E2 (resized).jpegBF6F27D9-00C0-4814-9C26-DD6ECEA50B00 (resized).jpegBF6F27D9-00C0-4814-9C26-DD6ECEA50B00 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

This might get interesting, good luck!

#3 2 years ago

I hope it does! Thanks for the well wishes!

#4 2 years ago

Cool idea!

#5 2 years ago

Do you have the topper?

#6 2 years ago

I am sure you will tons of people lining up with all of these demands.

#7 2 years ago

Cool idea, but pin trades do not really work by just asking for an even trade for something that is known to be worth more than yours. Where most of us have traded up over the years is by buying a beater, putting time and parts into it to make it worth more, then selling that. Or having titles long enough that "pinflation" took an effect. Or simply adding money or multiple machines to trades. Your actual profit is based on how much you originally paid, not what it's worth now, if you know what I mean. I'm not sure anyone is going to simply give you something worth more for no benefit to them...but hey...stranger things have happened in this hobby! Good luck!

#8 2 years ago

Ooo! I can lose value AND end up with a Monte Carlo all for the low price of half a day of my time? Where do I sign!?

Interesting idea but I'd keep expectations low .

#9 2 years ago

Your list of demands and lack of any flexibility is quite astounding. This should go well...all while screaming me, me, me!

Your idea sounds great and fun, but you are laying the hustle for any sort of trade on the opposing party. You are the one trying to trade up. It needs to be your hustle, sweat and flexibility to make it work. You can't lay it at the feet of everyone else.

hey, good luck.

#10 2 years ago

Will you be making a donation to pinside if you get a successful trade?

#11 2 years ago

I disagree with all the nay sayers here. This is a game against the pinside pricing system. For example, I have a Cleopatra that I briefly thought about offering. Pinside values it higher than Monte Carlo. I've never owned a Monte Carlo and it looks looks interesting. I bet if this was played right, both parties could win. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to travel for that trade.

OP could also be taking some risk by having the games brought to him. I've had some bad trades brought to me when I trusted the other party. If they're coming from a distance, it's hard to thoroughly go through the game for the first time when it's on your front porch.

I'm interested to see how far this gets.

#12 2 years ago
5D4D06FF-C183-46CE-97A1-C8F7CAD28AF9 (resized).jpeg5D4D06FF-C183-46CE-97A1-C8F7CAD28AF9 (resized).jpeg
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

I disagree with all the nay sayers here. This is a game against the pinside pricing system. For example, I have a Cleopatra that I briefly thought about offering. Pinside values it higher than Monte Carlo. I've never owned a Monte Carlo and it looks looks interesting. I bet if this was played right, both parties could win. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to travel for that trade.

If played right, yes! 100%. The problem is the OP is asking everyone else to do ALL the leg work. Even you said, I am not willing to travel for that trade.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Bigger and better. Classic. Start with a paper clip or penny and end up with a couch or mini fridge. Who doesn’t love that?!Trades are open, and when I make a trade, that game will be up for trade. Any game I take in must be put up for trade

I'll trade you either A or B, your choice.

According to BoatAnchorValue Magazine, you'll be coming out way ahead on this trade.

If you choose option A: Your home will need a loading dock for my forklift.
If you choose option B: You'll still need a loading dock, but it will need to be the water kind so I can tie off the ship.

NOTE: Ship not included if option B is selected.

anchora (resized).jpganchora (resized).jpganchorb (resized).pnganchorb (resized).png
#15 2 years ago

Dang, I would trade my cyclone for this if I didn't already have a Monte Carlo. man, I'll walk away slowly

#16 2 years ago

To be clear, I have pretty low expectations. And I’m also fully expecting that trade deals will come from games I want less than Monte Carlo…yet the pinside estimated value is higher. I also don’t expect anyone to travel far when we’re talking this caliber of game. I mean, I’m not asking for Godzilla LE for my Monte Carlo. I’m asking for operation thunder, or gold wings, or Hollywood heat! LOL. So yeah…you think I’m going to drive 10 hours for those games?! Nah…

This is a game I picked up for $385 in 1999 from an operator…and I probably overpaid for it then! Risk is low and its a great chance to stop being serious.

This is a far cry from “me, me, me”!

C’mon pinside…can’t we use a little common sense and just have fun for once?!?! Or do we all have to try to be witty while being negative to others at the same time?

Let’s just have fun with it and see where it goes…if anywhere.

starfighter I’ll take A delivered to my commercial building in Easttown if you’re serious. Heads up if anyone wants an anchor as that might be up next for trade!!!!

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

To be clear, I have pretty low expectations. And I’m also fully expecting that trade deals will come from games I want less than Monte Carlo…yet the pinside estimated value is higher. I also don’t expect anyone to travel far when we’re talking this caliber of game. I mean, I’m not asking for Godzilla LE for my Monte Carlo. I’m asking for operation thunder, or gold wings, or Hollywood heat! LOL. So yeah…you think I’m going to drive 10 hours for those games?! Nah…
This is a game I picked up for $385 in 1999 from an operator…and I probably overpaid for it then! Risk is low and its a great chance to stop being serious.
This is a far cry from “me, me, me”!
C’mon pinside…can’t we use a little common sense and just have fun for once?!?! Or do we all have to try to be witty while being negative to others at the same time?
Let’s just have fun with it and see where it goes…if anywhere.
starfighter I’ll take A delivered to my commercial building in Easttown if you’re serious. Heads up if anyone wants an anchor as that might be up next for trade!!!!

Sure! Your NGG is worth more than my Taxi. Drive it to me and let's have some fun with this!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

According to BoatAnchorValue Magazine, you'll be coming out way ahead on this trade.

BoatAnchorValue Magazine is the name of my jazz-flute and oboe folk fusion quartet.

#19 2 years ago

You guys are harsh - Damn. OP’s just having some fun, thought it was pretty clear in initial post? I’ve traded for a game worth less than my trade because I was more interested in that game and it was harder to find. It’s not that unusual.. I drove a ways to do it too. I don’t know Monte Carlo that well but a trade up seems possible.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

You guys are harsh - Damn. OP’s just having some fun, thought it was pretty clear in initial post? I’ve traded for a game worth less than my trade because I was more interested in that game and it was harder to find. It’s not that unusual.. I drove a ways to do it too. I don’t know Monte Carlo that well but a trade up seems possible.

I mean his initial post did say you could call him an idiot . I just think it's funny that he would post he effectively wants to use other people to keep trading up games in value. Like...having fun sure, but what's the incentive for anyone to participate knowing their game will just be traded eventually to get more value for the OP over and over? If you are really interested in his game and yours is worth more, why wouldn't he just add cash to make it even? Like I said, interesting idea, but keep expectations low.

Does this go both ways? Will OP bring me a game worth more than mine? My Taxi for his NGG offer still stands! I want a piece of this action!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

To be clear, I have pretty low expectations. And I’m also fully expecting that trade deals will come from games I want less than Monte Carlo…starfighter I’ll take A delivered to my commercial building in Easttown if you’re serious. Heads up if anyone wants an anchor as that might be up next for trade!!!!

Sorry, but the Option A Anchor is off the table. It was a wedding gift and when I told my wife about the potential trade, she got pissed. Apparently there is some sort of sentimental value attached that was confused about.

The good news is Option B Anchor is still available. However, it is currently in service off the coast of Honduras for the next 18 months. If you can wait then I'm sure we can work something out. I'll check on the cost to transport a 12 ton anchor across the country. I'm guessing in the $2500 - $3000 range. If you can cover half of the transport fee, I'll take care of the de-chaining and barnacle removal at my cost. Also, a few other pinsiders have expressed interest on this anchor and some PM inquires and offers have already been made. Just wanted you to be aware.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Does this go both ways? Will OP bring me a game worth more than mine? My Taxi for his NGG offer still stands! I want a piece of this action!

It sounds like you want to play and your paper clip is taxi, and I just want to make sure you understand the rules here. I get to bring you ANY game I choose as long as pinside estimated value Is higher. Intrinsic and personal values mean nothing in this game. Pinside arbitrates. You have zero choice. I’m not bringing NGG, but I’ve got a DE Star Trek lined up for you. When can I come?

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Sorry, but the Option A Anchor is off the table

Crum. I just realized you probably never had that anchor, and you were probably trying to troll me. Sorry about that, I can be dense at times. I should have known.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

It sounds like you want to play and your paper clip is taxi, and I just want to make sure you understand the rules here. I get to bring you ANY game I choose as long as pinside estimated value Is higher. Intrinsic and personal values mean nothing in this game. Pinside arbitrates. You have zero choice. I’m not bringing NGG, but I’ve got a DE Star Trek lined up for you. When can I come?

I thought I was supposed to be on the winning end of the deal ?

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Crum. I just realized you probably never had that anchor, and you were probably trying to troll me. Sorry about that, I can be dense at times. I should have known.

Your loss. Since you insulted me the deal is OFF. Go find a trade with someone else.
JuyInventory7 (resized).pngJuyInventory7 (resized).png

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

thought I was supposed to be on the winning end of the deal ?

You are! This is how the game is played! Pinside estimated values determine which game is bigger and better…and you must accept since you’re on the winning end.

Taxi: $2500
Star Trek: $2600

So when can I come? You do want a piece of this action right????

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

You are! This is how the game is played! Pinside estimated values determine which game is bigger and better…and you must accept since you’re on the winning end.
Taxi: $2500
Star Trek: $2600
So when can I come? You do want a piece of this action right????

Wife says no more star trek pins. What else ya got?

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Wife says no more star trek pins.

Sounds like after all this trolling you just don’t have the stomach to play this game at the same angle I am. But at least you trolled me good!! Well played sir. Well played!

But to be fair…my paper clip is Monte Carlo. Can only go up and maybe a little side ways here…

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Sounds like after all this trolling you just don’t have the stomach to play this game at the same angle I am. But at least you trolled me good!! Well played sir. Well played!
But to be fair…my paper clip is Monte Carlo. Can only go up and maybe a little side ways here…

Who's trolling? You have a longer list of rules than me so far...and offered me a game you don't even have in your collection.

All your games besides Monte Carlo and Bone Busters are more than Taxi...so what's it gonna be?! Stomach too weak?

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Who's trolling? You have a longer list of rules than me so far...and offered me a game you don't even have in your collection.
All your games besides Monte Carlo and Bone Busters are more than Taxi...so what's it gonna be?! Stomach too weak?

I don’t think you understand his rules. He has to offer the game he wants to trade, if he wants to trade with you at all. You can’t just pick any game in his collection and demand he bring it to you.

I know you’re not serious with all of this, but why not just let the OP have some fun. Why does everyone have to shit on people if they don’t like the game. Just don’t participate. OP sound like a fun idea, good luck.

#31 2 years ago

Jesus this is so confusing...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bigger-amp-better-pinball-style-what-ya-got?hl=riefepeters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.