Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by urbanledge
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waldo34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Hey, just trying to get down my thoughts since you indicated you might be working on this again. I love the idea of making Bigfoot a larger focus on your version of the game. I'll start out by saying, I hope you don't take any of this as criticism. I'm just trying to take what you did and bounce some new ideas off of you. I'd be happy to discuss any of these ideas in more detail. Sometimes it makes perfect sense in my head, but when I try to write them out on paper they become more difficult to explain. Also there's a lot here so, deep breath, I'll just dive in.

This is great, keep the flow.

Okay, so it makes sense that the bigfoot targets should somehow interact with bigfoot and Bigfoot Bluff. When you hit them maybe have bigfoot do his "uh-oh" noise or have his head spin. I would use these targets to award the items. If possible just the Map, Flashlight, and Camera. All those items are logical for a quest to find bigfoot, but I'm unsure how a Key would aid you in your quest. I like the idea of hitting the bigfoot targets to collect each item. When you collect the three items or, if that's not possible, just the Camera after six hits a new "Bigfoot Hunt" mode will start. In the mode you are trying to take a picture of bigfoot at the hazard locations. I would start with a single hazard arrow flashing. Every few seconds the insert flashes very quickly, signaling that bigfoot is about to move. Then the next insert starts flashing. If a player successfully shoots a flashing insert he collects the photograph and the corresponding insert remains lit for the remainder of the mode or subsequent playthroughs. The mode would be timed, so that near perfect shooting would allow the player to collect all of the photographs, but most players will require multiple playthroughs of the mode to collect all of the pictures. Pending testing, each subsequent playthough could require more shots to the bigfoot target to collect each item.

I prefer hurry-ups to start when a ball is fed cleanly back to a flipper. I'm not sure it's as clean to start it after hitting the hot foot target. I think there may be better ways to implement additional hurry-ups in some of your other modes.

I would prefer to use the items for the Bigfoot Hunt mode described above, but as with everything it's just my opinion.

With the first change the combo potential in the game are insane. I would probably just make it so that after any hazard shot you have X seconds to hit any additional hazard to continue the combo chain. To prevent unlimited combos of ramp to Bigfoot Bluff, I would make it so that hazards cannot be repeated in the same combo chain. The maximum combo would be all seven hazards.

I'm not sure I like that change. Having the pop bumpers change the modes works well. I think with the first change the ball going through Bigfoot's Cave more often will give player more opportunities to spot river letters through the in-lanes.

I like the multiball the way it is, so I don't think many changes are necessary. I'm not sure it needs the secondary bigfoot jackpot. What I might add is the ability to lock balls into No Way Out and Lost Mine/Whirlpool. In order to do the latter, Bigfoot would need to divert the ball into the Whirlpool during multiball. Only one ball can be locked in each. So if a second ball is shot into No Way Out the first would be released. Any secondary balls shot to Bigfoot's Bluff would not be diverted into the Whirlpool. If one ball is held a shot to Insanity Falls would be a double jackpot. If two balls are locked it's a triple jackpot. I think you'd also want program things so that when any jackpots are collected all held balls are released, otherwise it would be too easy to collect multiple triple jackpots.

I'm not sure the Key, Lost Mine, or Gold Rush make as much thematic sense for a Bigfoot game, but I'm not against the Lost Mine being used for something. Maybe that becomes the Mystery with random awards. I don't think it should be a major part of the game though, because it's probably easier to luck into the Lost Cave then shooting it directly from the tip of the right flipper with skill.

Pending what you decide with the Gold Rush, it might make sense to turn Boulder Bash into the two ball mutiball. The rules for Gold Rush, being based on switch hits, already encourages the player to hit the ball into the boulder pop bumpers. I'd just take the basic switch hit rules for Gold Rush and apply them to the Boulder Bash instead.

Seems good.

Not sure it needs to change the lit mode, but seems great.

I like the idea of a progressive skill shot, perhaps Bigfoot's Cave (skillshot), Spine Chiller (double skillshot), and Insanity Falls (triple skillshot). I feel as though your quick multiball might be too easy. It feels as though nearly every game would start with multiball. Perhaps there could be a secret skillshot though that's just a fun easter egg. Maybe it that short plunge then not flipping until the ball reaches the lower right flipper and a direct shot to No Way Out or Lost Canyon for that cow award.

Advancing down the river should be a main focus of the game. I like the idea of a "perfect paddling" bonus for completing just the required lit hazards, but you would have to make sure that's possible since some hazards require going to the upper playfield and the shots that lead to the upper playfield might not be lit. Perhaps make the perfect paddling a small bonus to keep the main focus on advancing down the river. You can probably tell, I value simplicity.

Again, I don't really like starting a hurry-up unless the ball is being returned directly to a flipper. In this case it could literally be starting by any of the hazards. Perhaps add a new mode for reaching Class VI. I'm not sold on a dam mode, but I like the idea of using the river targets in a meaningful way during this mode. I think with some brainstorming we could come up with something pretty cool.

This sounds fine. I guess my only suggestion would be to have the Bigfoot Hunt / Camera and Wet Willy be different. In one mode only one shot is flashing to start and in the other all shots are flashing to start. Either way you need to collect all the shots. I think it makes more thematic sense for Bigfoot to be moving, but as long as they are different, I think its fine.

Good change. I like being able to move the lit inlane / outlane in either direction.

It's printed on the playfield, so I feel like you have to keep it that way.

Is this just for your Dam Mode or is this how you light the Whirlpool for all modes. I much prefer keeping Insanity Falls as the way to light the Whirlpool since that is what is printed on the playfield.

I don't feel as though the Bigfoot Targets are needed. It just seems to add unnecessary complication.

The insert is labeled "x5 Playfield" the rules should increase the playfield value x5.

I'm personally not a huge fan of modes that are pure luck, like guess the random shot. Maybe this is your opportunity to use the river target as a hurry-up. The ball will be returning to the flippers and it makes sense that your man overboard is in the river.

I love the idea of using the Mystery Canyon as it's own mode instead of the mystery "Spirit of the River". Since it's a labeled insert, I would still call the mode Mystery Canyon. Is there any aspect of the playfield that is both underutilized and fun to shoot? This would be another mode that could be brainstormed.

So with what I've described, I would probably have the requirements be:
1) Reach Wet Willie's
2) Reach Class VI
3) Start all boulder modes
4) Play the standard 3-ball multiball
5) Play the "Bigfoot Hunt" mode
I feel like doing all that would be a pretty solid game. Since it's a bigfoot game, I feel like bigfoot needs to go crazy during the wizard mode. My personal view on Wizard Modes is that they should feel like a reward. For me that would be something like a 2-multiball with an add-a-ball option. Maybe it's as simple as all hazards worth X-points, which are multiplied by the number of pictures you took during Bigfoot Hunt. Then have the Bigfoot Targets light Bigfoots Cave for your add-a-ball. Maybe have the add-a-ball active for a minute or two then that goes away so the game doesn't last for ever.

What a great post.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waldo34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bigfoot-new-rules-for-whitewater-with-freewpc?tu=waldo34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.