(Topic ID: 97971)

Big Yuck Hunter to Big Buck Hunter. A shop out story.

By TomGWI

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by FlipFun
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3C6C1ADB-D9DD-44FA-8B87-D066F90E5517 (resized).jpeg
image-144.jpg
image-279.jpg
image-488.jpg
image-421.jpg
image-63.jpg
image-997.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-610.jpg
image-60.jpg
image-146.jpg
image-614.jpg
image-584.jpg
image-326.jpg
image-813.jpg
image-982.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Picked up a filthy routed BBH with some opto switch issues, fluorescent bulb out, RAM kicker not functioning, and no sound.
The filthy playfield:

image-96.jpgimage-96.jpg image-398.jpgimage-398.jpg image-490.jpgimage-490.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Scummy ramp!

image-944.jpgimage-944.jpg image-398.jpgimage-398.jpg image-961.jpgimage-961.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Ram kicker mech not working: possible opto switch problem, mechanical problem or both?????

image-302.jpgimage-302.jpg image-485.jpgimage-485.jpg
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

Congratulations on the new project Tom! I'll bet it cleans up nicely.
Be sure to tear into the Buck switch to re-do the wires. It's an interesting spring-loaded mechanism and the thin wires eventually break. Looking forward to see how it turns out!

Thanks Steve. The game is actually all fixed, shopped out, and beautiful. . I thought I would document the problems to help out other pinsiders. I'll be updating more later. Just hit a slowdown at work so I thought I would start a thread.

Quoted from davewtf:

Congrats! I had that on my list as a cheap alternative to Iron Man but ordered a vault. Did you get that off that ebay guy by you? No offense if you don't wanna say.

Yes I did get it off eBay. Guy was nice but was kind of shady. I don't want to get into that though on pinside. It is what it is.

#8 9 years ago

The light bulb in the backbox wasn't working, so I put a new bulb and starter in the backbox and it blew immediately.
That meant the ballast needed to be replaced. Replaced the ballast with one from Home Depot for about $7 and then there was light.
Some pics of the old ballast

image-284.jpgimage-284.jpg image-505.jpgimage-505.jpg
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Off all the things that have seasons, I didn't realize teeth were one of them.....
Nice pickup! Fun game, I think it is something my boys would enjoy *nudge*....

Just a slow day/week/month.
Game is really fun and my kids like it.

Quoted from wellarmed:

What about the sound ? Have the same problem with an Avatar . Have to change the CPU/SOUND Board
It costs $250 in exchange .

I checked the wiring to the speakers, connectors, etc. I popped in a sound board from another game in to confirm it was a board issue and it was the board. I sent the board for repair. I am thinking it is the capacitors on the board but just a guess. I could have replaced those but didn't want keep spinning my wheels.

#12 9 years ago

Now for the Ram opto issue: I noted both the RAM and the Bird Opto switches were both out. There is a board underneath the playfield that handles these. I was getting power to the board. I had some spare Stern opto switches I bought from Pinball life. I plugged them into the board and both switches were working fine so there was something wrong with the optos on the playfield. More to come later......time to eat and have to coach my son's baseball game tonight. Stay tuned.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

That is one bucking dirty machine. But Congrats, I bet it will clean up nice.
edit: I read that you finished cleaning. Would love to see some after shots.

That's like skipping to the end of a book and reading the last chapter to find out what happens. I have to tease a little bit.

#17 9 years ago

Okay a little time before the game.

So the Ram opto had a loose wire. This was a simple fix. Splice some bare wire, desolder the pad and remove the old wire, attach and resoldered. Reinstalled and the opto was back.

image-469.jpgimage-469.jpg
#18 9 years ago

The Bird Multiball post opto was a little more difficult. The wires were fine so it took a little more investigating.
I tugged on the wires to see if I could get any response in switch test but nothing. I pressed on one of the opto LEDs and it began to work on and off continuously. Seemed odd. I removed it from the game to inspect it. At first I thought a cold solder joint but didn't see one. I then likely pressed on the the LED as I had before and noted the wires from the LEDs stuck out and the solder and pads lifted from the board. I tried adding a little solder but still the same problem. I ended up just replacing the Opto board instead of monkeying with it.

I tried to take a good pic of this to show what was wrong.

I still have a RAM that is sticking pretty bad and what I thought was wrong was actually not the case.
More later.

image-120.jpgimage-120.jpg image-696.jpgimage-696.jpg
#19 9 years ago

So the RAM mechanism. I thought it would be an easy clean the mech/plunger and replace the coil sleeve kind a deal.

image-575.jpgimage-575.jpg
#20 9 years ago

Unfortunately I did take a picture but there is a pin that holds the plunger piece to the metal stop of the plunger together. The pin was sticking out about a half mm or so. The pin was sticking out enough to freeze the mech. A little filing and all was good.

#21 9 years ago

After cleaning all the plastics, ramp and playfield, I used frost cointaker LEDs in the playfield GI. It really looks nice (not too bright). The playfield GI was very dark previously with incandescent lighting. I left the inserts with standard incandescent bulbs. I replaced the rubbers and used white. I waxed the playfield after cleaning and before I reinstalled the ramp with some Blitz Wax I got from PinballLife.

image-65.jpgimage-65.jpg image-74.jpgimage-74.jpg image-903.jpgimage-903.jpg image-159.jpgimage-159.jpg image-877.jpgimage-877.jpg image-213.jpgimage-213.jpg image-108.jpgimage-108.jpg
#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Wait... did you sell something or is this another addition? I thought you (the wife) said no more ?

I threw my wife out. She was just getting in the way of my pin addiction.

Actually, I am over stocked again.

Next I plain to restore my chexx bubble hockey game.

#32 9 years ago

Clear job looks beautiful on that BBH playfield. Love what you did with the Chexx machine.

#33 9 years ago

Here is my Chexx game in it's current state. Notice the cigarette burns on the dome corners.

image-813.jpgimage-813.jpg image-536.jpgimage-536.jpg image-982.jpgimage-982.jpg image-614.jpgimage-614.jpg image-326.jpgimage-326.jpg image-584.jpgimage-584.jpg image-146.jpgimage-146.jpg
#34 9 years ago

Here is the new Dome, ice surface and replacement men. I wanted to stick with the 1980s Russia vs USA.

image-610.jpgimage-610.jpg image-4.jpgimage-4.jpg image-60.jpgimage-60.jpg
#38 9 years ago

I got my chexx done.

image-997.jpgimage-997.jpg image-488.jpgimage-488.jpg image-63.jpgimage-63.jpg image-421.jpgimage-421.jpg image-144.jpgimage-144.jpg image-279.jpgimage-279.jpg
#41 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Did you paint the players yourself? I want to custom players and stickers but I don't have the talent or time for the painting.
Chris

Chris if you go to the Chexx page you can order the guys direct. They are $99 a team. They also Clearcoat them for you. They have USA, Canada, Russia, and a bunch of NHL teams.

There is a guy on eBay that does custom players that run between $500-700.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

That turned out great! Now, if we could get ICE to provide you with a website address to put on your Chexx..... LOL....

Yeah no kidding.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Yeah.
I want to go custom. Chiefs vs Bullbogs.
"They brought they F'in toys with them"
Thanks for the info guys.
Chris

Slap Shot would be a great theme.

#49 9 years ago

What's with all the hockey talk? Go shoot some bucks.

CPU/SOUND BOARD UPDATE: I got my sound board back from repair and the U16 was replaced.

I now have sound.

#51 9 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

So which game are you selling to make room for this, Tom?

Nada!

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

Well, I though your AC DC or CV were lonely and needed a new home........

Nope! I asked them and they said they liked there notches in the carpet.

3 weeks later
#56 9 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Thanks man !
After your hint i replaced U16 was difficult because it is SMD and 16 legs and now Avatar is speaking
again .
Jens

Cool. I'm glad it helped you out.
I have not done a SMD repair yet. I'm hoping to learn one of these days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Berwick, ME
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-yuck-hunter-to-big-buck-hunter-a-shop-out-story?tu=tomgwi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.