(Topic ID: 263958)

Big Trouble in Little China - Jack you gotta make this game

By sillyoldelf

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200313_044526 (resized).jpg
    big-trouble-in-little-china-jack-burton-quote-3-picture-quote-1 (resized).png
    bigtrouble900 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

So I was hoping Jersey Jack might read this and think about doing a licence for the iconic film starring Kurt Russell.
    Although a bit of a flop at release, it's gone on to become a cult classic with some great humor, amazing one liners, some over the top baddies and an ideal pinball story - break the curse, save the girl, stop the Wizard.

Lo Pan wizard mode anyone? Egg Shen multiball? Rain, Lightning, Thunder are the mini boss baddies and would make superb modes. Rescue the girl to beat the game.

There is a huge following for the film still with companies producing all sorts of products - the Big Trouble in Little China board game is a masterpiece and regularly sells for $200. The artwork appears on t-shirts, posters - an original drawing for the film recently sold for many thousands.

I'd be happy for any pinball manufacturer to take this one on but I think Jersey Jack could produce an over the top machine with some great toys.

Anyway I hope Jack reads this - "It's all in the reflexes!"

The Plot for anyone who hasn't watched it:
    Big-talking rough-and-tumble truck driver Jack Burton wins a bet with his restaurant owner friend Wang Chi. To make sure he follows through on payment, Jack accompanies him to the airport to pick up Wang's Chinese fiancée Miao Yin. A Chinese street gang, the Lords of Death, tries to kidnap another Chinese girl at the airport, who is being met by her friend Gracie Law, intending to sell her as a sex slave. After Jack intervenes, they take Miao Yin instead.

Jack and Wang track the Lords of Death to the back alleys of Chinatown, where they find a funeral procession that quickly erupts into a battle between the Chang Sing and Wing Kong, two ancient Chinese societies. When "The Three Storms" – Thunder, Rain, and Lightning, mighty warriors with weather-themed powers – appear, slaughtering the Chang Sing, Jack attempts to gun his big-rig through the crowd, but runs over David Lo Pan, a decrepit man directing the Three Storms. Horrified, Jack exits his truck, but finds Lo Pan unfazed and glowing with magic. Wang hurriedly guides Jack through the alleys; the two escape the carnage and mayhem, but Jack's truck is stolen.

Wang takes Jack to his restaurant, where they meet with Gracie, her journalist friend Margo, Wang's friend Eddie Lee, and magician Egg Shen, a local authority on mysticism and Lo Pan. They try to explain to an incredulous Jack (who only wants his truck back) the ancient knowledge and sorcery the Chinese brought with them to America. The group devises a plan to infiltrate a brothel, where they believe Miao Yin is held. They break in with some difficulty, but are interrupted by the Storms tearing off the ceiling and making off with Miao Yin, taking her to their master Lo Pan. Jack and Wang track down the front business used by Lo Pan and impersonate electricians to gain access, but are quickly subdued by Rain. After being tied up and beaten by Thunder, the two meet Lo Pan – however, he now appears as a crippled old man.

Wang tells Jack that Lo Pan needs a special green-eyed girl to break an ancient curse, and he intends to sacrifice Miao Yin. Centuries ago, Lo Pan, a great warrior and even greater wizard, was defeated in battle by the first sovereign emperor, Qin Shi Huang. The Emperor cursed Lo Pan with incorporeality; although Lo Pan can be temporarily granted a decrepit body by supplication to the gods, he must marry a woman with green eyes to appease Ching Dai, the God of the East, and sacrifice her to satisfy the Emperor. When Jack and Wang's friends attempt to save them, they are also captured. After getting the drop on Thunder, Jack, Wang, and Eddie escape and free many women kept in holding cells in the process. During the escape, a horrible orangutan-like monster recaptures Gracie before she escapes. Lo Pan notes that Gracie has green eyes, too, and decides to sacrifice Gracie while making Miao Yin his unwilling wife.

Wang and Jack regroup with the Chang Sing and Egg Shen, and as a group they enter a cavern to return to Lo Pan's headquarters. Egg pours each of the group a potent potion that Jack says makes him feel "kind of invincible". The group interrupts the wedding ceremony, which breaks out into a battle. Wang kills Rain in a sword duel, while Jack and Gracie chase the newly-alive Lo Pan. Wang joins them, and just when all seems lost, Jack kills Lo Pan with a skillful knife throw. Thunder – who had been distracted with Wang – reappears, and, enraged at finding Lo Pan dead, explodes. Jack, Wang, Gracie, and Miao Yin are cornered by Lightning in a corridor, who triggers a collapse with his powers. Egg rescues them with a rope and kills Lightning by dropping a stone Buddha statue on him when he tries to follow. After finding Jack's truck and dealing with the remaining Wing Kong guards, the group busts out and escapes back to Wang's restaurant.

The group celebrates their victory in the restaurant with the rescued women; Wang and Miao prepare to marry, while Eddie pairs with Margo. Egg sets off on a long-due vacation – Jack suggests his homeland, but Egg says that China is in the heart. Though Gracie offers to join him in his travels, Jack decides to keep on trucking alone and give himself time to decide. Unbeknownst to him, the orangutan-like monster survived the battle in the labyrinth and has stowed away on his truck.

big-trouble-in-little-china-jack-burton-quote-3-picture-quote-1 (resized).pngbig-trouble-in-little-china-jack-burton-quote-3-picture-quote-1 (resized).pngbigtrouble900 (resized).jpgbigtrouble900 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

A local, independent movie theatre is playing BTILC on March 20th and 21st; one showtime each day. It would be cool to see it on the big screen again.

20200313_044526 (resized).jpg20200313_044526 (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago

A local theater played it here a few years back. I watch this movie at least once a year and I was shocked how much fun it was to watch it on the big screen with a bunch of strangers. Highly recommend!

#4 4 years ago

Man, I really need to watch this movie to help me understand why it keeps getting mentioned as a pinball 'dream theme'. The title alone doesn't scream pinball to me but I guess I just need to watch it.

#5 4 years ago

I would buy sight unseen! Because, it's all in the reflexes!

1 week later
    #6 4 years ago

You just listen to the old pork chop express and take his advise on a dark and stormy night alright, when Some wild eyed 8 foot tall maniac grabs yours neck , taps your favorite head against the barroom wall and he looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye and you just rember what o’l Jack Burton always says at a time like that : “ Have you paid your dues, jack ?” “Yessir, the check is in the mail.”

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-trouble-in-little-china-jack-you-gotta-make-this-game?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.