HGTH.jpg
H..jpg
street_dancing_11.jpg
Cheerleader2.JPG
Cheerleader1.JPG
Moo.jpg
Thank you.jpg
Dreams come true.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#103 10 years ago

I've been reading all these threads and I want to say first off that I hope everyone that is investing money in this project gets what they are hoping for in the end, and that Rick and his partner make out like bandits in the profit department so they can continue making more titles, and there will effectively be a third thriving pinball manufacturer.

But... I am somewhat of a student of pinball history in this area and I have to say you guys are acting just about as childish as the last group of folks that climbed on this same bandwagon. I was at the seminar where Rick showed the pictures of his prototype and what I saw didn't stand out as "Wow, look at all the quality he has built into that 8 thousand dollar pinball machine". I saw major cost cutting and some questionable design decisions which would not seem to be in the best interests of the future owners of that machine. And let's be honest, as of the time of me writing this post you guys are still begging for static pictures of the thing and nobody has even asked to see a video of it running on that fancy new boardset.

What Wayne tried to do was kind of crazy, but at least he was just going to remake copies of the original machine using like parts. From a functional standpoint MMR really will be a Chicago Gaming machine more than it will be a WMS product. And their last pinball product didn't even come with a coin door folks because it wasn't even built to commercial standards to operate it. If I remember my seminars they were shooting for the lofty MSRP of $1700 on that game, and most folks that played it (and looked at the magic under the hood) felt it was overpriced even at that. So while it's great that they have now hit the lottery on this project I'm having trouble understanding how their factory is now worthy of churning out $8k pinball machines?

Before about 3 people become super-sleuths and check my signature to discover the awful secret that I already own a MM let me just save you the trouble and admit it. I fielded a lot of hate and grief over my concerns on TPF remake and we all know how that turned out. I see some of the same folks jumping on this new bandwagon. And again, I honestly do hope this turns out well for those involved, but you guys *really* might want to concern yourselves a little more with technical specifications and proof of reliability on this new game, and less with which one of you beaned Rick or Jack in the head first with a rubberbanded wad of cash to be first in line. Or what color tint the legs will be, or where the LE plaque will be mounted...

And as several people have pointed out in this thread, it is far to early to begin hero-worshipping anyone involved.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Viper001 you are entitled to your opinion. I find it interesting that hundreds of people at the show saw the same pics you saw and promptly ordered a machine. Hundreds were sold right at the show. Just saying.

Hundreds of people still presumably have money sitting with Wayne for the past 7 years waiting for the same product from him. So "mass acceptance" in this hobby really don't hold a lot of clout.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Sorry guys but viper is dead wrong on all accounts; I was at the same show and even got to see video of the game compared to the original and it looked fantastic.

Really? You aren't counting PowerPoint as "video" are you because that is all that was shown in his announcement seminar. If he presented in another seminar I missed it and am happy to be corrected. I heard he spoke at the LTG show but I ended up getting back so late I didn't go in that one.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Thanks for your concern! BUT again the game will look play and feel like the original or Roger will not sign off on it.
If Roger doesn't sign off on it the game will not be made...

Agreed. And I agree, the decision could not be in better hands. The only issue is this thing has a LOT of momentum at this point, so as it stands there are literally million$ of reasons why this project pretty much has to go forward at this point, one way or another.

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I'm sure anything I say will be pulled in all directions. We know most of the details from the 'bad' situations with people holding money, etc. We are pulling in all of the deposits which we have in one bank account. We are also working with a well capitalized company. In addition, we are intent on keeping any of our distributors aligned on the deposits, the retail price (as best we can influence that), etc. That is what was meant.

Rick you are your partner have such a solid reputation in this industry that I don't think anyone is even questioning this aspect of the remake. But if you really wanted to keep things above-board setting a project "drop dead" date and sticking to it would go a long way toward rinsing any bad tastes out of folk's mouths from the first (and still ongoing) debacle which was MMR #1. Basically, if we haven't delivered MMR #2 Serial #0001 by X date the project is cancelled and the monies are returned.

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

And why on earth would that be a good thing ... that would insure that nothing happens as committments for parts, etc happens in waves, so we go spend $1M and if the project lags by a week because a supplier provides a part that is made wrong and it delays things, then we just throw the money and just cancel the project ... I don't think there is a sour taste in many's mouths and if there is then they are better off purchasing in the secondary market after it is built and then the sour taste will not be there. If people want to go along with this product we are by no means forcing them to do so.

Fair enough. In the post I quoted before it seemed like you were looking for ways to appear transparent. I only offered a humble suggestion.

So then your project could technically drag out for an extended period of years before the first machine is produced?

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

This kind of speculation just stirs the pot. There are well over 1,000 people committed to purchase who aren't concerned about that scenario. ANYTHING can happen, but I prefer to be a glass-half-full kinda guy...

Your counterparts 7 years ago felt the same way

Quoted from Triumvirat73:

This kind of speculation just stirs the pot. There are well over 1,000 people committed to purchase who aren't concerned about that scenario. ANYTHING can happen, but I prefer to be a glass-half-full kinda guy...

I'm not stirring any pots, I'm just mentioning if there are any provisions in this project for the highly unlikely event of a failure. Rick has been very firm and careful to distance himself from the past debacle and I can understand why he would want to do that, but the best way to truly differentiate what you are doing from "that guy" would be to say something up front to the effect of "My project will not drag on for 7 years with no product delivery". Or "If we haven't shipped the first game by January 1st, 2016 then I will offer refunds to anyone wanting out". As it stands it is another open-ended project which have had a mixed history of success in the past.

If you have a deposit with Wayne still today you can call him up and ask for a refund on it. Of all the terms of this new deal I found it curious that there is a really limited period of time folks on the buying side of the equation can ask for a refund (up until WMS approval), but there is no reciprocal provision for failure to deliver the goods in a timely manner.

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's dumb to have a drop dead date on the project.

If the project is assumed to be the success that everyone is expecting, how could having this be "dumb"? It costs nothing. Delays nothing. Could be padded sufficiently to allow for reasonable production delays. And all it would do is lend additional credibility to this project over the previous failure. And by your reasoning would never have to be activated anyway...

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

What if after all the pads, the project just needed one week past the date? No matter what date was picked, it would be arbitrary. As long as people can get their money back until everything is set

Re-check the terms of the agreement. Deposits are only refundable until WMS gives their approval. Not when parts have been ordered, or production started, or anything else you assumed further up. The last guy came to the table with WMS approval, and also managed to order a great many parts, but there was never any further movement to actually start production.

But to answer your question, in the event of a week delay, Rick could state that and give folks the option to stay or drop. If that really were the scenario I would guess most folks would stay. But wouldn't that kind of communication and honesty be welcome? Would your enjoyment of receiving the game be diminished if the guy that built it had given such a guarantee while it was being built?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-thank-you-to-rick-and-planitary-pinball-for-the-mm-remake?tu=viper001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.