(Topic ID: 114409)

Big Shot lives! Need Drop Target Part

By fflint_18

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

We'll after buying that low ball count Big Shot almost a year ago and then taking it apart, cleaning and then leaving it sit for 9 months my buddy and I spent all weekend getting it put back together, running, and then tweaked.

I like it.

Fast, Unforgiving, and I can't get a great score to save my life, but it's a keeper for me.

I will post some pictures later for all.

Still have a few things to sort out and a part I need everyone's help with.

The 7 bank drop targets have a series bar inside which lets a switch activate when all the targets are down.

It turns out the right banks is missing. Anyone know if Steve has these. Part number is A-14535.

Or if someone has a donor 7 bank that I can buy the part from let me know.

2 other things

Once in a while it won't switch between players after a ball. I'm going to work on the stepper and hopefully that will clear things up.

Lastly, it's not giving games for points. It does score games for specials so I know some things are working right. Not sure where the problems lie, but will pore over the schematics today, but if anyone has a suggestion let me know.

Thanks,

Bert

#2 9 years ago

i have a 9 position one, but not a 7... maybe someone in the "parts seeking" thread has one...

as far as not giving replays... i don't have that schematic, but...

i'm assuming you already cleaned/lubed the circuit boards on the 1000/10000 reels (and put the contact points in the "right way" when you rebuilt the reel, i know *someone* that has done this wrong before )... and cleaned the jones plugs for the replay settings...

1) check for continuity between the female replay jones plugs and whatever relay does the "add credit"....

2) check for continuity between the circuit board and the jones plugs...

if i'm understanding right (it never works, regardless of what holes you put the jones plug in), i'd "guess" that it is #1, there's something hosed between the female replay jones plugs and the "add credit"...

early sunday morning guess, anyway...

#3 9 years ago

Check your steppers (player unit - coin unit if you have one)/contacts as you are saying and report back on your 1st problem.

As far as the 2nd problem your schematic will show you which score reel ties to the add replay unit to award your points. On your game it's probably 1,000's but may be 10,000's - you need to check. You can post a copy of that section of the schematic if you want. Check for a broken wire that goes to the 1st position on the bakelite disc on top of your score reel labeled "C". If that conductor is broken off you won't get your high scores. This is a common problem. If the problem doesn't lie there, you'll have to trace it through the schematic.

#4 9 years ago

Whenever I have a high score award issue...I take an alligator clip jumper and tie one end to 25 volts, usually a red-white on a N M L relay and then start at the credit wheel and touch the free end first to the coil and see if it fires (normally does) then to the 15 position sw on the credit wheel then to the player unit, then to the C contact on the 10K reel Bakelite board and then to a numbered position on the bakelite (if the reel is on 5 then touch 5 etc) then its usually on to the jumper setting. Then on to the 1000's reel, back to the player unit...

And remember if its sett to 55,000 to award a game then tracing this circuit will add a credit when reels are set to 54000, ie the next pulse/closure of the L relay will activate/award game. On my Roller Coaster there were switches on the player unit P1A, P1B that needed to be cleaned... Also tighten stacks on the player unit, they are loose!

Ken

#5 9 years ago

>>Once in a while it won't switch between players after a ball. I'm going to work on the stepper and hopefully that will clear things up.

Check the trough switch.

#6 9 years ago

Hoov, I figured it was with the Players Unit Steeper. I've adjusted and re-cleaned the contacts and it appears that it has cleared up the problem.

PinHead, while I haven't figured out the scoring issue yet you have helped me big time. While looking at the schematic I couldn't figure out what P1A and P1B was. While checking the player unit I didn't know what the extra contacts were for and now I know so thanks.

Trough switch is good.

Going to go through the scorereels again (as Hoov suggests) and use PinHeads method to move from place to place to try and pinpoint this issue.

Thanks.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from fflint_18:

PinHead, while I haven't figured out the scoring issue yet you have helped me big time. While looking at the schematic I couldn't figure out what P1A and P1B was. While checking the player unit I didn't know what the extra contacts were for and now I know so thanks.

Thanks.

Yea P1=Player 1 P2=Player 2 (or when the cams lift the stack) P1 is closes to the wiper.

P1A is the lowest contact, P1B the 2nd lowest etc..

#8 9 years ago

Well the Big Shot, she is a fickle bitch.

Thanks to you folks and some detective work I was able to get the winning credits working correctly.

It was a combination of the Players unit and a problem score reel.

Adjusting the Players unit and Player 1 starting operating correctly.

There was also a problem with the thousands reels on Player 2. Some more adjusting and voila everything was working great as far as winning credits was concerned.

Then the 10's on Player 1 stopped resetting and the lights on the score reel on Player 2 quit lighting but Player 2 kept working correctly.

Turns out I messed up a couple switches on the players unit while adjusting for he other issues.

Everything seems good now and the machine is running 100% except for the broken drop target bar which I need to order.

Will post some pictures on Tues.

Thanks for all the help.

Bert

#9 9 years ago

One of my fav em's to play back in '75 at a bowling center located
about 2 miles from the PPM.Replay scores were 65K and 79K.
25 Cents,2 Plays,5 Balls

Pretty easy to "POP" free games

Ah,the good old days!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-shot-lives-need-drop-target-part and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.