(Topic ID: 155644)

big news regarding PAPA Circuit: Expo is out!

By DarthXaos

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ninjadoug
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

from Doug on the other forum:

Returning events for the 2016-17 Circuit are:

PAPA World Championships
    Catcus Jack's Silverball Showdown
    City Champ
    INDISC
    Lyons
    MAGfest
    Pinburgh
    Pinmasters
    Pittsburgh Pinball Open
    Southern Fried (Pinvasion)

The scheduling decisions are now based on player feedback from the surveys we sent out. The above events were either exempt (because its a PAPA event) or were the ones we received the best feedback from the players in the surveys we sent out after each event. The 3 events rated just below those have a chance to stay on the Circuit through the poll we are currently running.

The bottom 4 events from the survey's from last Circuit season were removed from the Circuit. This includes Free Play Florida. These events can re-nominate their tournaments for the next Circuit season.

The top 8 events from the voting, will be added to the Circuit schedule.

from Bowen in the same thread:

The bottom 4 events :frowning:

Michigan Pinball Expo
    Free Play Florida
    Pinball Expo (Chicago)
    Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show

#2 8 years ago

I hate to see Freeplay not on the circuit, This is a big event to look forward to for us Florida players. The 24 hour Sanctum tournament got my vote as this looks like a really fun and exciting event. I suppose the slots will fill up quickly and I hope to play in it this year.

#3 8 years ago

Expo and Northwest out? Expo was a ton of fun, I felt it to be a necessary stop for the circuit. And from what I saw of the Northwest broadcast, it looked very good.

EDIT: I was informed that there's a Northwest Show and Northwest Championships, the one I'm thinking of that looked very good is not the one that was removed from the circuit.

#4 8 years ago

Did buffalo make the cut? I hope to see it on Bro!!

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

Did buffalo make the cut? I hope to see it on Bro!!

Voting is still open--be sure to vote Buffalo!

http://bit.ly/votebuffalo

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Expo and Northwest out? Expo was a ton of fun, I felt it to be a necessary stop for the circuit. And from what I saw of the Northwest broadcast, it looked very good.

There are two Northwest events. The one that was broadcast was the Northwest Pinball Championship, which is in the voting.

Anyone can vote here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DR5KMTT

#7 8 years ago

Another vote for Buffalo.
    I promise you, there is no snow in the summer.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kingpin22:

I hate to see Freeplay not on the circuit, This is a big event to look forward to for us Florida players. The 24 hour Sanctum tournament got my vote as this looks like a really fun and exciting event. I suppose the slots will fill up quickly and I hope to play in it this year.

Thanks for the vote. Last year we were in less than 1/2 the size space we are currently in and sold out all 64 spots in just a couple days. This year we are definitely increasing the player cap and will make it very clear when we will be opening registration so no one misses out. *looking at you Bowen*

-Jim

#9 8 years ago

What did it take to get on the initial voting list?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pizza & beer bribes

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

Pizza & beer bribes

Is there nothing Pizza & Beer can't get done?

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Fit papas guidelines and submit it on the form that was open on their site last month and open for several weeks.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Fit papas guidelines and submit it on the form that was open on their site last month and open for several weeks.

Thanks for the info.

#14 8 years ago

What do you all think are the negative aspects of the expo flipout tournament that caused it to be one of the bottom 4 tournaments from the ones surveyed?

#15 8 years ago

Just to be perfectly clear, these were player decisions, not PAPA staff decisions. We're trying to remove ourselves from the process as much as possible and let players build the Circuit schedule through surveys and voting. Outside of PAPA events we personally run, anything can be added or dropped if it fits the criteria.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanBingham:

What do you all think are the negative aspects of the expo flipout tournament that caused it to be one of the bottom 4 tournaments from the ones surveyed?

Possibly the drama around the event this year and how people found things like the free play area and what not to be worse than past years (the surveys included questions about the events in general, not just the tournaments).

Really the tournament was excellent, I can't think of any issues (other than Whoa Nellie), and I also personally found the show to be terrific as well. Brings the whole industry together.

#17 8 years ago

Other possible factors re: Expo tourney.

Glare on games when the sun is visible.
    Long lines just to play a qualifying game.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Possibly the drama around the event this year and how people found things like the free play area and what not to be worse than past years (the surveys included questions about the events in general, not just the tournaments).
    Really the tournament was excellent, I can't think of any issues (other than Whoa Nellie), and I also personally found the show to be terrific as well. Brings the whole industry together.

The detailed feedback was presented to each Tournament Director so they can utilize that to better suit the needs of their players. Any event that was removed is welcome to resubmit next year for inclusion again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-news-regarding-papa-circuit-expo-is-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.